I recently got a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA/150 HDD and am having issues with it.
In short, the Barracuda drive is not recognized at the moment. It has been recognized before, but in its current state it is not. When it was recognized though, Windows XP could not format it.
My current setup is
AMD Athlon 64 3400
Chaintech Znf3-250 Motherboard
2 IDE Hard Drives, (20GB and 40GB) that have Windows XP (only) loaded on them.
I am trying to install this new Seagate SATA drive as additional storage.
To dive into more detail...I recently purchased the ST3250823AS Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA drive. Upon installation, I encountered some issues. First off, I found the DiscWizard and went through that process attempting to add on the new drive as additional storage.
This though, did not work. I also managed to get my hands on the SiI 3114 SATA controller from Chaintech's site (as I have a Chaintech Znf3-250 motherboard). And when the drivers were updated with this download (v 0.0.0.4) the drive became recognizeable by Win XP. I then tried to format it for all 250GB (at least those that are useable) and ran into issues. When attempting to format it as NTFS with 4k, it would get to the end of the formatting, freeze and then prompt a message indicating that the formating was not completed.
I have since had a Hard Drive that has passed through states of recognition and not but has never been correctly formatted as per Win XP's "My Computer" formatting (which I believe is necessary for use of the drive).
I have also attempted to use the DiscWizard via floppies on reboot but with no success. Currently, the drive is not recognized by any piece of software (whether it be by Microsoft or Seagate) and I have yet to have it complete the formatting of a partition larger than 1GB.
This brings up another interesting point. I have also attempted to partition it as 1GB and only 1GB and that was able to function 100% properly. It formatted and was recognized without flaw. This was only 1GB though and I need all 250GB. I have also attempted to split it into 2 partitions (one being 200GB, the other 50GB) this though, did not work any better than the others.
This is my issue and I am hoping that one of you will have some kind of helpful insight/advice on how to solve the issue.
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia GeForce 5700 LE
2 IDE Drives
1 SATA Drive (that refuses to work for now)