Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy
Haven't both Transmetta and Via created processors that use under 1 watt load?

I wonder what tech they're actually suing over...

Yeah, it would be nice to see a quoted patent number(s). I'd like to search the patent base to see WTH they are talking about.

bruce.gif Previous Member of Team Owners - 1st to hit 200k and 250Kbruce.gif

bruce.gif Previous member of Rough Riders - 1st to hit 300k!!!bruce.gif

Adios everyone! I've been proud to be a member of Owners and Riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
1:14 Camera:People Ratio

Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by killnine
Instead, I think it shows how hard it is to enforce patents and research them. There isn't just some database that searches just for what you want. It takes months, and lots of money, and hard labor to search if a technology is already patented. To make matters worse, different countries have different patent offices. It is slow and expensive, and not perfect.

I dont think Intel said "well, screw them, were making it anyway", because if they did, they would know it is only a matter of time before they have to settle and divey out a huge portion of their hard-earned money.

Rather, I think it was an error on the part of the research team (not owned by Intel, in all likelyhood) hired to ensure their intellectual property was not already on the books.

The company I work for has had similar problems, and I know it was not intentional.

I also see this as another ploy by AMD. They tried suing Intel already, which I think was cheap and childish. After the suit got thrown out, I think they went to Transmeta to get another suit up and running. Just a conspiracy theory, but whatever.
Hmmm, that's odd, because in the EU (and UK) there is a centralised database of patents you can indeed search. Usually, the US is ahead of the EU and UK with computer technology, so I would of thought the US would have something similar, if not better? Maybe not...

The royalties Intel would have to pay, IF and only IF the courts decided there has been patent infringement, would not be 100% of the profits Intel made from using those "stolen" technologies. With interest earned, investment capital gained, new research projects funded, etc, etc, Intel is actually better off using the technology illegally and then paying off the originators of the technology later on. Transmeta are only asking for "reasonable" royalties, nothing that Intel won’t be able to afford, IF they are found to have neglected the law.

Copyright and patent infringement can of course happen by accident, but sometimes it can be in the interest of a large corporation to take and use now and ask and pay later. Business isn't a jolly nice game of cricket in the park, it's tough, underhanded, below-the-belt, quasi-criminal, hard ball stuff with the "Big Boys". They aren't playing nice, because playing nice gets you screwed over and they wanna' stay on top.

Of course, this could very well be a strategic move by AMD (if indeed they are in bed with Transmeta) to undermine Intel's recent success in some way. The only people who will know for sure are the people orchestrating these things and they're not likely to offer up the truth any time soon.

There is more corruption, deceit, treachery and unfairness in the world of business and the world in general than most people know, or want to know. It's sad, but that's just the way things get done and most of the time the perpetrators are getting away with it and have been doing so for years...

When the law makers are being paid by the law breakers, it's only those who can't pay that are subject to the laws of the land. It's common knowledge that big business and politics are sleeping partners. Political campaigns, advertising and other political initiatives all get funded by "donations" which are officially "anonymous" but unofficially are from rich corporations who would like certain politically controlled aspects of society to go in their favour. Of course there will always be genuine donations made, but those millions from "anonymous" sources are to buy something. There is no free lunch.

Anyway, whatever perspective you take, the real truth of these things will likely always be obscured. Most modern capitalist societies are nothing more than plutocracies, rather than the meritocracies they should be. As we have all seen in the past, with enough money, even the law can be subverted. The most money, buys the best lawyers, buys the best defence, buys you freedom from paying for your crimes, big, or small.

My .

Highly-Annoyed
biatchi and FrankenPC like this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. -Plato
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. -Euripides .. Terrifying are the weaknesses of power. -Greek Proverb
----—-—-————————————————————————————————————————————————
exclamation.gifMy Favourite Windows XP Freeware Page . ...' ..'.exclamation.gif Wowza's Core 2 Duo Motherboard Analysis
----—-—-————————————————————————————————————————————————

post #33 of 43 Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 670
Transmeta? *** is that?

I've come to know VIA, AMD and Intel CPUs but Transmeta? who are these people.......oh:

Quote:
Transmeta Corp., an unsuccessful developer of low-power microprocessors that now licenses its technologies to third-parties, said Wednesday it has filed a lawsuit against Intel Corp., the world’s largest x86 chipmaker, over alleged patent infringement.
What a sorry company that is. Then again, it's always been that way: If you can't win? Sue them. LOL, aim low!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 10-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
Transmeta? *** is that?

I've come to know VIA, AMD and Intel CPUs but Transmeta? who are these people.......oh:

What a sorry company that is. Then again, it's always been that way: If you can't win? Sue them. LOL, aim low!

Yeah, I put companies like this on par with people who sue McDonalds for burning themselves when they spill coffee on their crotch.

bruce.gif Previous Member of Team Owners - 1st to hit 200k and 250Kbruce.gif

bruce.gif Previous member of Rough Riders - 1st to hit 300k!!!bruce.gif

Adios everyone! I've been proud to be a member of Owners and Riders.
post #35 of 43 Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 PM
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧·★゜・。☆゜。 ・゚

Liked: 2585
transmeta history

Transmeta faster than Intel

transmeta on linux

patent info from '98
ouroboros1827 likes this.

August 13th, 2011 sad-smiley-002.gif Happy trails, may we meet again.

CyberDruidPC is History
post #36 of 43 Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD's article
A spokesman for Intel said the company has no comment as to whether it will challenge the legality of Transmeta's code-morphing software. However, the company is apparently protected from recrimination because its foundry, IBM Microelectronics, has a separate patent cross-licensing agreement with Intel under which Transmeta will operate.
interesting...old though. 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIsTeDbOi go_quote.gif
What's next, banning mirrors because, oh no god forbid, if we see ourselves naked we're gunna be traumatized?
I'm like the inquirer, take everything i say with a grain of salt.
SLi Zone PSU listing- check to see if your PSU is SLi certified.
BF2 stats BF2142 stats
My Guide to BF2 Unlocks
post #37 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 06:51 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 16
It's not even funny, no one with a legitimate claim waits 6 years down the line to sue, they're just a little company trying to wager it all to get a piece of Intel. It can't be any more obvious.
post #38 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 551
Woot for frivilous lawsuits

post #39 of 43 Old 10-27-2006, 08:03 PM
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧·★゜・。☆゜。 ・゚

Liked: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop
Woot for frivilous lawsuits
If they were rich and powerful they would just buy the competition and shut them down...which is worse? Intel and MS making competition virtually impossible? or a side-player nipping at their heels?

August 13th, 2011 sad-smiley-002.gif Happy trails, may we meet again.

CyberDruidPC is History
post #40 of 43 Old 10-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 234
nipping and getting stomped on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIsTeDbOi go_quote.gif
What's next, banning mirrors because, oh no god forbid, if we see ourselves naked we're gunna be traumatized?
I'm like the inquirer, take everything i say with a grain of salt.
SLi Zone PSU listing- check to see if your PSU is SLi certified.
BF2 stats BF2142 stats
My Guide to BF2 Unlocks

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page