[PCPer] Trinity Improvements Include Updated Piledriver Cores and VLIW4 GPUs... - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #51 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

Whats Cinemark?
Also, the Core i7 940 in your comparison is clocked at 2.93Ghz versus 3.9Ghz for the FX 8150 and yet it still loses. AMD has a long ways to go to be competitive in IPC. They are far more competitive, yet ultimately still behind, in multithreaded applications.
Based on every benchmark, SNB's IPC is on average 18-20% faster than Nehalem and IVB is, on average, 5-10% faster than SNB.
If Piledriver is 15% faster than PH2, then Thuban owners can finally upgrade.

The FX-8150 is clocked at 3.6ghz but that's besides the point. I compared a product with a similar price point at launch. If I had compared clock for clock, then it would have been a $1000 cpu vs a $260 cpu rolleyes.gif And yes the FX-8150 does lose but my point, as was originally stated, is it's not far behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBR View Post

the socket was different, the architecture and process was the same (for the 8xx and 7xx at least) with some minor changes,
first gen i7 = 9xx/8xx
first gen i5 = 7xx/6xx
first gen i3 = 5xx

Now that makes sense. Thank you. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge go_quote.gif

Clearly not, you don't know how it works. The CPU has to build every individual frame before it sends the data to the GPU to be rendered.
FX-8120 vs. 2500k BenchmarksAMD FX Clubsniper.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Programmer

Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post

I would be amazed if PD has greater energy efficiency than BD, and arch revision brings it to first gen i7 standards. That alone might make me switch to AMD (mainly because it's about darn time people started giving intel some heat).
There is a chance for Trinity to bring AMD back out of the hole. A 10% IPC increase on Piledriver should put it ahead of Phenom II performance. Which one would expect since Piledriver was built on a previous unfinished Phenom II based architecture. FPU load queue was upped from 40 to 44 with Trinity also, so it should be at least a better number cruncher then Bulldozer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimeracaust View Post

So 5770 or better performance? These charts confuse me smile.gif
We should see near HD 6650m performance out of the Trinity iGPU this time around. Which is a bit better then Nvidia's GT 540M chipset.
post #53 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Liked: 159
So how high might Piledriver OC?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

Very high, won't know exactly though until sites start getting their ES's.

post #55 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Programmer

Liked: 85
Quote:

I wouldn't imagine high, since Llano wasn't a very good overclocker. But that shouldn't be discouraging as Llano scales insanely well. A bus bump from the stock 100Mhz to 133Mhz, with multiplier set at 27 for 3.6Ghz from the stock 2.9Ghz, and a GPU frequency of 790Mhz from the stock 600Mhz on a A8-3850. Ultimately lead to an average of 25%-30% frame rate improvement in most games. So if you can do this with Trinity, with a stronger CPU and stronger graphics cores. I imagine Trinity will be the beginning of the end for low end discrete GPU's.
post #56 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
nVidia Enthusiast

Liked: 3
Quote:

Is that really what people are expecting from Piledriver? IIRC Nehalem was 30% faster clock-for clock vs Phenom IIs whereas Bulldozer was even slower.

it may be a reach but i understand why people hype every new launch and look at phenom to phenom 2 nice jump there and just because bulldozer failed doesn't mean it cant improve but yeah i don't see it eather tongue.gif

post #57 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
4.4Ghz for Netflix

Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

After the nightmare that was Bulldozer I've got little faith on the upcoming architectures that are based on it. Their graphics technology on the other hand seems to be coming along nicely.

By that logic you shouldn't be on any CPU then. The 8086 was slower at the majority of code ran at the time than than the Z80, same story with the 286, 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium IV, K5, K6, K7, etc. All new architectures suck in their early versions.

post #58 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
News Fiend

Liked: 21
Quote:

Higher than BD, I'd assume. Trinity not as much, but Vishera definitely. They're still shooting for those high clocks with the deep pipeline. I'd be stunned if Vishera doesn't beat BD's clock record.

post #59 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Liked: 32
Anyone else glad they stayed on 32nm?

post #60 of 74 Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Paid AMD Shill

Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post

I would be amazed if PD has greater energy efficiency than BD, and arch revision brings it to first gen i7 standards. That alone might make me switch to AMD (mainly because it's about darn time people started giving intel some heat).

As a company I very much dislike Intel. I'll buy from AMD when I can, but if they can't deliver on the higher-end... well, we'll see how everything goes.
Quote:

Is that really what people are expecting from Piledriver? IIRC Nehalem was 30% faster clock-for clock vs Phenom IIs whereas Bulldozer was even slower.

Nehalem's IPC really wasn't that much greater than Phenom II's. Sandy Bridge is a great improvement though.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page