[VR-Zone] HP's Steve Wolff dismisses claims of imitation - says Apple doesn't own silver - Page 12 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #111 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

I think you missed the part where you said
Which is also what I quoted when I said "I've got a black and silver HP laptop from 2001 or 2002."

He clearly missed it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 75
Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy, What do we have here?

MMMM, burgundy.
Now, why couldn't the spectre look like that?
Only thing missing is subtle red backlighting on the keys/HP logo.

"We should make it clear that NVIDIA is a good company, and we respect their attempted transition into being a smartphone company." - Roy Taylor, AMD

BF3 STATS/BF4 STATS
post #113 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 288
I'm not a big HP guy, but HP has come around in the design department over the last few years. To think that something of it's caliber is only $500 is insane; anyone who's been following ultraportables knows as much. Beats out the AMD E-350's by a ridiculous amount (those are in the $400 range, only dual-core, and in cheap plastic chassis).

Back off-topic, are you guys serious?! First, "HP is copying Apple", then after you're shown that 1. Apple didn't invent the black/silver color scheme and 2. Apple didn't make the first <0.75" thick laptop... "It doesn't matter who did it first, Apple made it popular". 0/10 go back to MacRumors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Liked: 127
They are copying apple. That said, shiny silver is a popular high-end look, especially in say cars (look at mercedes benz). People need to stop saying macs are lighter or thinner than other notebooks. It's obviously not the case.

The bad thing is that hp just makes flashier, uglier ones that look similar. The samsung series 7 I find a lot more attractive, not to mention it is lighter. It's more understated than either the mac or hp. Macs are probably the prettiest overall, but the light on the front is a bit flashy too.

The unibody looks really nice on the macbook pro, but try servicing that or buying replacement parts. Then you will realize why unibody sucks...

"i'm a general not a pokemon or something!"

"The fact that she's single is the real Crimea."

"Hippsterism is the offspring of the spoilt and narcissistic preachy hippie movement of the 1960s & 70s mixed together with the 'ironic' grunge Gen Y mores of the early 90s. Basically it involves dressing like a prat to show how self-aware you are."
post #115 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

People need to stop saying macs are lighter or thinner than other notebooks. It's obviously not the case.

No one has said that.
Quote:
The unibody looks really nice on the macbook pro, but try servicing that or buying replacement parts. Then you will realize why unibody sucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOXcfAK-Q8&feature=player_detailpage#t=61s

You were saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadBull go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ?????
My prediction for the next FPS released by EA (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

In a couple of years when Battlefront 3 gets released, the cycle is going to continue. It might not even be in 2 years time. I would not be surprised at all of Battlefield 2018 has exactly the same microtransaction system.
post #116 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 64
Quote:

No one has said that.
You were saying?
A 2008 model....is it the same for a new macbook?

post #117 of 181 Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 View Post

@kikkO: Your argument may be valid as far as what people remember or recognize about a product. They may associate this scheme and others with Apple. That has no bearing whatsoever from a legal standpoint though. They do not and should not own a patent for most of the similarities between the designs. You say that is how the world works, etc. It may be how people work, but it isn't how the legal system works. Association isn't legally binding. You are more arguing morality than legality it appears. In that sense, you may have some ground to stand on. This is a legal issue though, and they have no legal right, yet at least, to go after HP for any similarities that may be between the two. There were many older models from non apple companies that had these similarities before or at the same time as Apple. Just because Apple "made it popular" means squat from a legal standpoint.

I understand what you're saying. However considering the recent spat between Apple and Samsung it seems Apple has won. Samsung is caving in and giving into Apple's demands and changing their designs. So from a legal standpoint HP is doing the exact same thing as Samsung did with their products. I'm interested how Apple will react to this one.
post #118 of 181 Old 05-13-2012, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy MG View Post

A 2008 model....is it the same for a new macbook?

Yes, the design hasn't changed at all since late 2008. The only things that have changed is the hardware inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadBull go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ?????
My prediction for the next FPS released by EA (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

In a couple of years when Battlefront 3 gets released, the cycle is going to continue. It might not even be in 2 years time. I would not be surprised at all of Battlefield 2018 has exactly the same microtransaction system.
post #119 of 181 Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Liked: 127
Quote:

No one has said that.
You were saying?

If you read this thread, you will see that several people said that they were lighter

Hmm not that bad really (in terms of difficulty of servicing.) My second point still stands though, replacement parts are super expensive.

"i'm a general not a pokemon or something!"

"The fact that she's single is the real Crimea."

"Hippsterism is the offspring of the spoilt and narcissistic preachy hippie movement of the 1960s & 70s mixed together with the 'ironic' grunge Gen Y mores of the early 90s. Basically it involves dressing like a prat to show how self-aware you are."
post #120 of 181 Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

If you read this thread, you will see that several people said that they were lighter
Hmm not that bad really (in terms of difficulty of servicing.) My second point still stands though, replacement parts are super expensive.

What replacement parts are you talking about?

MBP take standard RAM standard HDD's.

Beyond that trackpads cost about $75, and batteries $125 installed.

The Infantry's primary role is close combat, which is characterized by extreme violence and physiological shock, close combat is callous and unforgiving FM 3-21.8

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page