[TR] Fujitsu assigns team of women to design PC for women - Page 9 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #81 of 99 Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD20x6 View Post

Wow, that's way over the top. Floral imprints? Gold trim? I think my girlfriend would much rather stick with her Dell Latitude. She'd be outright offended by this product.
The very existence of this laptop is, to me, a symptom of the very deep issues that still exist for gender equality. I'd expand more but I've got homework... :/

but guys telling women what they should and shouldn't like isn't sexist? i don't get how this is any different than guys putting a bunch of tacky leds on their machines, ala alienware. actually, scratch that, this is actually more tasteful biggrin.gif

"i'm a general not a pokemon or something!"

"The fact that she's single is the real Crimea."

"Hippsterism is the offspring of the spoilt and narcissistic preachy hippie movement of the 1960s & 70s mixed together with the 'ironic' grunge Gen Y mores of the early 90s. Basically it involves dressing like a prat to show how self-aware you are."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

but guys telling women what they should and shouldn't like isn't sexist? i don't get how this is any different than guys putting a bunch of tacky leds on their machines, ala alienware. actually, scratch that, this is actually more tasteful biggrin.gif

When did we say what they could and couldn't like?
My point is that the second they hear women, they think of flowers etc.
And Alienware doesn't go "WE DESIGN FOR GUYS." See the difference? It's because it's targeted at stereotypes.

- Laing DDC pump w/ XSPC reservoir top
- Apogee HD CPU waterblock
- Distilled + kill coil
- 280mm Magicool slim rad + 120mm XSPC slim rad
post #83 of 99 Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 33
Binders full of women. ENGAGE!

So in other words they are developing under-powered tablets that will have improved compatibility with Instagram, FaceBook, and Pinterest?
LOL

- chmodlabs biggrin.gif

Advanced cooling research @ Chmod Labs Austin
Current Build --> Core i7-2600k @ stock - ASUS Maximus Gene IV - Corsair H80i - EVGA GTX 670 2Gb - Patriot Viper 3 16Gb 1866Mhz Ram

And yes I was first to design and market a Antec Kuhler 620 GPU mount (it's better than dwood's!)
NOVEC 7000 is just really amazing stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 99 Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

When did we say what they could and couldn't like?
My point is that the second they hear women, they think of flowers etc.
And Alienware doesn't go "WE DESIGN FOR GUYS." See the difference? It's because it's targeted at stereotypes.

you don't think alienware is indirectly targeted at stereotypes too? how many alienware pcs are bought by women do you think? both are bought in part for appearance, yet one is directed at women's taste, one at men's. sure they don't SAY that, but it is implied.

you didn't directly say that, but you suggest that women shouldn't like this because it conforms to traditional standards of "girly" feminine things. yet, when men buy something for appearance (for different reasons) they aren't condemned (or it's kind of ignored.)

"i'm a general not a pokemon or something!"

"The fact that she's single is the real Crimea."

"Hippsterism is the offspring of the spoilt and narcissistic preachy hippie movement of the 1960s & 70s mixed together with the 'ironic' grunge Gen Y mores of the early 90s. Basically it involves dressing like a prat to show how self-aware you are."
post #85 of 99 Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 13
My girlfriend is actually insulted by those. She finds them overpriced, sexist and frankly ugly.
post #86 of 99 Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD20x6 View Post

Wow, that's way over the top. Floral imprints? Gold trim? I think my girlfriend would much rather stick with her Dell Latitude. She'd be outright offended by this product.
The very existence of this laptop is, to me, a symptom of the very deep issues that still exist for gender equality. I'd expand more but I've got homework... :/
Perhaps your girlfriend would be offended.

And what would be her reaction of these PC's turned out to be a big hit with the ladies? Would she get even more offended that her gender in general loves such products? See, a single person's emotions about this are irrelevant when it's the general masses that count.

As for "gender equality", I believe that the subject is more or less pointless outside third-world countries where women are genuinely discriminated against. Ironically the most vocal sources of feminism today are from first-world countries where 99% of females are living happy, fullfilling lives, free to pursue whatever they like...and are only complaining for the sake of complaining. But I won't go too far into that.

post #87 of 99 Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 AM
WaterCooler

All I'm saying is that it is targeted at a stereotype.
It's like saying "We are making a computer for the black community" and then coloring it like a watermelon and adding scratch-and-sniff fried chicken coating.
Those features could be cool etc (I'm speaking metaphorically here) if they just released it without blatantly stating their target audience.

Think about it:
Situation A: Watermelon colored PCs.
Situation B: Watermelon colored PCs. FOR BLACK PEOPLE.

See why B is offensive in comparison?

It's not the just fact that they're putting flowers etc.
This is why I don't care what Alienware does. They don't market for men specifically. They just market. That's just their style, they're not blatantly telling everyone that it's for a stereotypical target audience.

I'm a guy, but we can be feminists too you know.

- Distilled + kill coil
post #88 of 99 Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

All I'm saying is that it is targeted at a stereotype.
It's like saying "We are making a computer for the black community" and then coloring it like a watermelon and adding scratch-and-sniff fried chicken coating.
Those features could be cool etc (I'm speaking metaphorically here) if they just released it without blatantly stating their target audience.

Think about it:
Situation A: Watermelon colored PCs.
Situation B: Watermelon colored PCs. FOR BLACK PEOPLE.

See why B is offensive in comparison?

It's not the just fact that they're putting flowers etc.
This is why I don't care what Alienware does. They don't market for men specifically. They just market. That's just their style, they're not blatantly telling everyone that it's for a stereotypical target audience.

I'm a guy, but we can be feminists too you know.

He's quite right. Although Alienware market for gamers, therefore you could say it's a stereotype aswell, that only gamers like fancy looking cases and bunch of LEDs when in fact anyone could.

But yeah i agree with what your saying.

If only life had a chat log.
post #89 of 99 Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM

Liked: 107
This is not quite how it works. Clothing, home goods, personal electronics, and many other categories involve designers, planners, market analyzers, etc., etc. to make sure they are covering the most profitable areas their products are intended for. This means doing market research, looking into what people want, and customizing their products to that extent. Nothing wrong with a company making a line to appeal to females. It's like buying towels: they come in colors ranging from brown to pink, so you can pick any one you like based on your preferences. Except with laptops, your selection is a lot more limited, and not many companies offer laptops that are more "fabric design" oriented. Cell phones have been released in various shades of pink, some in limited editions by designers (clearly targeted for women). Why are we forgetting the entire marketing and retail model here to focus on something certain people want to call 'sexism'. Is the fact that this laptop is produced hurting you in some way? If I wanted to buy a monitor with a red bezel (or brown with glitter, for that matter) - can I find one? I might, but I doubt it very much. If someone decides to make it and make it more appealing for whatever category - then I can finally buy one. (hypothetical example, of course... I could take the bezel apart and paint it myself, but that's a different story).
post #90 of 99 Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

This is not quite how it works. Clothing, home goods, personal electronics, and many other categories involve designers, planners, market analyzers, etc., etc. to make sure they are covering the most profitable areas their products are intended for. This means doing market research, looking into what people want, and customizing their products to that extent. Nothing wrong with a company making a line to appeal to females. It's like buying towels: they come in colors ranging from brown to pink, so you can pick any one you like based on your preferences. Except with laptops, your selection is a lot more limited, and not many companies offer laptops that are more "fabric design" oriented. Cell phones have been released in various shades of pink, some in limited editions by designers (clearly targeted for women). Why are we forgetting the entire marketing and retail model here to focus on something certain people want to call 'sexism'. Is the fact that this laptop is produced hurting you in some way?

I'm just saying they can release whatever they want, and they can cover all ranges and all types of people, and make their flower laptops all day long...
But they should just avoid blatantly saying that it's "for women" to avoid butthurt. See my watermelon example. Release it, just don't say who it's for.

To me, there is absolutely no difference between having different product lines for men and women, and having different product lines for white and black people.
They're both aimed at stereotypes for a particular group of people. It should be something for everyone, not this one for you guys, and this other one for you other guys.
AMD20x6 likes this.

- Distilled + kill coil

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page