Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruflot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

I was browsing a page on Apple's website, and it wouldn't scroll properly. When I would flick my finger on the screen to scroll, it wouldn't move for a second or two, and the movement was tiny. I had to swipe like twenty times to get to the bottom of the page. Also I don't like the feel of the zoom in comparison to iOS. I might give it try on another website. Anandtech maybe.
The Nexus 7 I'm using doesn't have a stock JB browser, only Chrome.

You only tested one website, which made you set your mind? Also, if your Nexus 7 doesn't have a stock browser, I honestly don't think you've received an legitimate Nexus 7 tablet.
The stock browser for Jelly Bean is now Chrome. In previous versions of Android like ICS or earlier came with a stock browser just called "Browser" which honestly was pretty bad (it crashed too often for my liking on my Asus Transformer TF101). That's what I think steelbom meant when you said he wasn't running the stock JB browser (which is actually Malcolm's wording), referring to "Browser" which is no longer included on Android 4.1 and above devices. I am not sure why Malcolm mentions Chrome and stock JB browser as different things, unless he somehow installed the old "Browser" back on.

Stable Validations:
CPU-Z: 3570K @ 4.6GHz 1.3v, G6950 @ 4.51GHz 1.4v, E8400 @ 4.2GHz 1.4v, X6 1055T @ 3.8GHz 1.475v, X2 550BE 3.75GHz 1.475v
GPU-Z: HD7850 @ 1200/5600, HD6850 @ 900/4400, HD4850 @ 685/2020, HD3850 @ 810/1818

(Forrest Gump referring to Apple Computers) "He got me invested in some kinda fruit company."
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin924597 go_quote.gif

Comparing the D940 to a Conroe is like comparing a rolling tire to a Lamborghini.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Programmer

Liked: 145
Quote:

You only tested one website, which made you set your mind? Also, if your Nexus 7 doesn't have a stock browser, I honestly don't think you've received an legitimate Nexus 7 tablet.
I have used it several times but I don't remember the results exactly, I'll test it again soon. Nexus 7 was the first to ship with Chrome as the default -- and yes it came straight from Google.

EDIT: I tested it on Anandtech. It doesn't exhibit the weird scrolling thing like on the Apple page, but I still don't like it as much. It doesn't scroll or zoom in as smoothly, or as well.

post #123 of 135 Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Programmer

Liked: 64
Oh, my bad redface.gif Still, having set your mind for a single hiccup is just..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 135 Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Programmer

Quote:

Oh, my bad redface.gif Still, having set your mind for a single hiccup is just..
I didn't "set my mind" because of a single hiccup. It's from using it multiples times.

post #125 of 135 Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Try catching every moment you see...

Liked: 280
Quote:

I didn't "set my mind" because of a single hiccup. It's from using it multiples times.

And after using this browser for a week, I can tell you honestly that I haven't run into a single hiccup. I've gone to every website I can think of and all of them run perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 7

post #126 of 135 Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

And after using this browser for a week, I can tell you honestly that I haven't run into a single hiccup. I've gone to every website I can think of and all of them run perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 7
It isn't really a hiccup that I'm talking about. It's just not as smooth as it is on iOS. It's slight, but noticeable. Also they way they zoom and scroll is a little different too.

EDIT: The hiccup I mentioned was just on Apple.com, on the iPad mini page. Give it a try. I think it's something they do. But that's not why I prefer browsing on iOS.

post #127 of 135 Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben the OCer View Post

I am not sure why Malcolm mentions Chrome and stock JB browser as different things, unless he somehow installed the old "Browser" back on.

I did, in fact. Browser was included as an installation option on both my previous 4.1.1 ROM and my current 4.1.2 one:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
4ILYT.png

sig
post #128 of 135 Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post

iPad-mini-keynote-Phil-Schiller-Nexus-7-comparison-001.jpg
LOL at this picture, such bull. A 1024x768 panel doesn't magically get better when you compare it to a smaller screen with a wider aspect ratio, especially one that has is higher resolution. 4:3 is such a silly aspect ratio - unless your Andre the Giant, you're not going to be able to grip the mini the way you can grip the Nexus 7.

$130 markup for an inherently inferior product is the way Apple rolls, nothing more to see here.

post #129 of 135 Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post

iPad-mini-keynote-Phil-Schiller-Nexus-7-comparison-001.jpg
LOL at this picture, such bull. A 1024x768 panel doesn't magically get better when you compare it to a smaller screen with a wider aspect ratio, especially one that has is higher resolution. 4:3 is such a silly aspect ratio - unless your Andre the Giant, you're not going to be able to grip the mini the way you can grip the Nexus 7.

$130 markup for an inherently inferior product is the way Apple rolls, nothing more to see here.
No it doesn't and I don't think that's what they were saying. If I remember correctly, they were pointing out how a tablet specific app is so much better than a smartphone specific app filling the screen. There's nothing wrong with the 4:3 aspect ratio; it's ideal for books and web browsing, and also good for games. The only benefit to 16:9 is movies.

How is it an inferior product?

The Nexus 7 has some advantages over the mini such as the 1.3GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor, 1GB of RAM, and higher pixel density, but the iPad mini has its own set of advantages, such as having a 35% larger display, being 10% lighter and 30% thinner. On top of that, despite the slower 1GHz dual-core Cortex A9 it's still ahead in all of the web browsing benchmarks, it has a more powerful GPU, it has stereo speakers, dual-band WiFi, and a massive selection of tablet apps. Presumably it has full sRGB coverage, and it has brilliant battery life. But yes it does carry a higher price tag.

post #130 of 135 Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 93
Quote:

No it doesn't and I don't think that's what they were saying. If I remember correctly, they were pointing out how a tablet specific app is so much better than a smartphone specific app filling the screen. There's nothing wrong with the 4:3 aspect ratio; it's ideal for books and web browsing, and also good for games. The only benefit to 16:9 is movies.
How is it an inferior product?
The Nexus 7 has some advantages over the mini such as the 1.3GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor, 1GB of RAM, and higher pixel density, but the iPad mini has its own set of advantages, such as having a 35% larger display, being 10% lighter and 30% thinner. On top of that, despite the slower 1GHz dual-core Cortex A9 it's still ahead in all of the web browsing benchmarks, it has a more powerful GPU, it has stereo speakers, dual-band WiFi, and a massive selection of tablet apps. Presumably it has full sRGB coverage, and it has brilliant battery life. But yes it does carry a higher price tag.
I was quoting that poster who was using that image to support the mini's screen.

The mini is vastly inferior product for all the reasons you listed, plus the biggie: terrible screen. While I agree that 16:9 isn't necessarily better than 4:3 when it comes to web browsing general usage, but the one-handed portrait usage of the 7 is not possible on the mini. It's pretty hard to comfortably use an 8 inch square with one hand. In landscape, your 4:3 is going to letterbox video content like hell and on top of that, 1024x768 is going to crop 720p videos down to almost 480p due to the aspect disparity.

And don't even START on the 35% larger screen. It's so convenient to praise Apple for having a larger display on it's 'miniature' ipad, yet it's all "screens don't need to be big" and "3.5 inches is the PERFECT screen size" when it came to the iphone. Combine that with the fact that you're putting a lower resolution into a bigger screen, it's like buying a 30" monitor at 720p.

You get all these compromises for an extra $130...it's Apple's "me-too" device in response to the Nexus 7.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page