Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Only in some games.

and not in crossfire. Microstutter is still an issue that they haven't done much to address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

So what I gather is that CrossFire raises minimum and maximum framerates noticeably, but because of the periodic quick frames the effective average framerate is only slightly better than a single card. A program like RadeonPro will even things out on most games and make CrossFire give better effective average framerates on top of the greater minimums already provided by CrossFire.

Am I missing something? If that is the case, I may purchase a second card after all, if only for the novelty. I've not had any framerate issues with one but I don't want to make the experience worse with the second card.

Here is the way that I saw it in practice. Yes microstutter is an issue. Although its not an issue in every game or even all of the time in most games that I notice it in. When it is noticeable its fixable with a framerate cap. So as long as you can keep framerates over that cap you won't notice any microstutter. If you cap the framerate at 59fps like I did. It looks like 59 fps would on a single gpu if not smoother. As long as you can keep framerates over the cap microstutter is a non-issue.

That is much harder to do on a 120hz display or in eyefinity. So thats where the microstutter can become annoying.
But will adding a second card actually increase the minimum framerate such that I can use the framerate caps in RadeonPro or in-game?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

But will adding a second card actually increase the minimum framerate such that I can use the framerate caps in RadeonPro or in-game?

When you set a frame/ms cap, your min ms will follow that cap. So 16.66 ms for 60fps, that is when the frame will be sent after the previous frame.
post #283 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama22 View Post

Quote:

When you set a frame/ms cap, your min ms will follow that cap. So 16.66 ms for 60fps, that is when the frame will be sent after the previous frame.
The minimum framerate can go below that cap, and that's why adding a second graphics card to raise minimum framerates is an option (if it works, which is why I'm asking). A framerate cap just prevents additional frames from being sent that are beyond the cap. Vsync waits for the previous frame to be completely drawn before a new one is sent to be drawn, which often corresponds with the monitor's refresh rate (but isn't really a framerate cap in the same sense).

post #285 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:

The minimum framerate can go below that cap, and that's why adding a second graphics card to raise minimum framerates is an option (if it works, which is why I'm asking). A framerate cap just prevents additional frames from being sent that are beyond the cap. Vsync waits for the previous frame to be completely drawn before a new one is sent to be drawn, which often corresponds with the monitor's refresh rate (but isn't really a framerate cap in the same sense).

I'm confused. If you set a frame time and you get lower fps that that frame time, of course minimum frame ms will go up. Adding a second card would make min fps go up because of, well, its a second card. If minimum frame ms goes up with a second card, it all depends what it does to the max ms frames.

I just don't know what you are getting at? Min frame times are only one piece of the puzzle, max ms and consistency are huge as well.

If you are trying to see if cfx has better frametimes that a single card, no it does not.
post #286 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Perhaps you aren't clarifying what you are trying to say enough, or getting terms mixed, but what you said initially is not true, and that's what I corrected. The only way to actually keep a minimum framerate at a certain level is to modify the graphics load, which is not what any limiter does.

The reason I asked the question about the benefit of a second card is because it is unclear from reading everything whether the minimum framerate actually increases when all the short frames are neglected or shifted with a program like RadeonPro.

post #287 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 197
Quote:

Heck yeah. There are quite a few games where I used settings that would have been completely unplayable with a single card.
post #288 of 294 Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 197
Quote:

he reason I asked the question about the benefit of a second card is because it is unclear from reading everything whether the minimum framerate actually increases when all the short frames are neglected or shifted with a program like RadeonPro.

When using vsync there are no short frames since the frames are synced to your displays refresh rate. That doesn't mean that microstutter is eliminated. A framerate cap will take care of that.
post #289 of 294 Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3130
In my experience with my 6950s/6970s Crossfire is extremely hit or miss.

Some games work almost flawlessly, with very consistent frame times. Some have enough inconsistency to make crossfire an improvement, but not a large one. A significant minority have such horrible frame times/microstutter that I'm better off with a single card, even if absolute frame rate indicates ~90% scaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post

When using vsync there are no short frames since the frames are synced to your displays refresh rate. That doesn't mean that microstutter is eliminated. A framerate cap will take care of that.

In the games that I notice problems in, neither vsync nor frame rate caps are of any real help.

Playing around with flip-queue size helps some games, but only modestly.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #290 of 294 Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 95

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page