post #31 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

The way I look at it, I've had SLI 680's (and xfire 7970's) in the past and found them to be generally decent but occasionally problematic (the endless issues with BF3 nearly drove me away from the game).

I'm planning a new build, going back into gaming and I have a budget of about $1000 for gpu's. Consequently I could either go with SLI 680's (which I have always found to be smoother in terms of micro stutter and latency against the AMD cards) or a single Titan. I plan to use a single 1920x1080 120hz monitor and a Titan is plenty to ensure relatively constant, high frame rates in BF3 and most other games. I can't get that with a single 680 or a single 7970 so from my perspective, the cost is justified.

Plus I can fit it in a relatively tiny case (while still having a separate sound card on a micro ATX board) and a fairly low powered power supply. Heck I think it is Falcon Northwest that is running a Titan on a Sliverstone 450w SFF power supply (a power supply I have and greatly respect in my Mini ITX build).

I expect I will be quite pleased with a single card and if I get the itch, I can change things up and get another biggrin.gif

...I get over 60FPS on BF3@1080p on a single GTX670.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Tablet Guru

Liked: 674
I'm going to need a bit more than that with a 120hz monitor....

I had 670's in SLI for awhile as well and never got 120 FPS constant on a 120hz monitor...

post #33 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 110
lol, 7970' power hungry and loud as hell. Think that would happen to me if I buy another 580 tongue.gif

Titan is just great. If I could I would probably buy it, altho I'll probably wait for 8xx series and another die shrink tongue.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Programmer

Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

I'm going to need a bit more than that with a 120hz monitor....

I had 670's in SLI for awhile as well and never got 120 FPS constant on a 120hz monitor...

Ahhhh, I missed that bit tongue.gif
post #35 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

rolleyes.gif

I am pretty sure BF3 and crysis 2 and the other recent games tested are outdated.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/54954-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review-6.html

EDIT: I am eager to see 7970ghz oc vs Titan OC/stock.

I am certainly saying that those games are outdated.....though BF3 wasn't when the HD 7970 GHz was released. With that being said, I never really noticed stutter in BF3 when using the HD 7990 either. With the newer games however, it is horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

I don't wish to downplay your Review, as i know it probably took a long time to create and i do appreciate your efforts on your website to bringing this latency issue to light. I was just curious as to why you never mentioned it before.

Looking forward to your AMD vs Intel CPU frametime comparisons.

By all means, critique away. I appreciate any feedback and you brought up some valid points.
eXXon likes this.
post #36 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm no longer an Asushole

Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

I completely forgot how quickly these threads fill up. Move away from the computer for an hour and two pages have filled up.
Your comments are well received and I'll try to address them.

I think one of the main issues with the "stuttering" effect boils down to which games are being tested. Admittedly, our previous testing suites were outdated and typically ran games at quite high framerates. This in effect can mask the impact of stutter as the frame times have less of a chance of spiking above the 40ms mark. As I already said, this was entirely my fault for not keeping up to date on the games being tested and it won't happen again.

As for the acoustics, I can't really comment about that due to the fact that I wasn't testing custom HD 7970 GHz Editions. Granted, there are several other options out there which allow for a lower acoustical footprint but for the purposes of the review, I was comparing reference designs to reference designs.

The FC3 video you posted, AMD or NV, and res?

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant  6 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #37 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 28
Ya sure titans are great cards but.............. 2 7970's @ $389 each is clearly a better deal, but if you have money to burn and dont care you can bragging rights, I've had a CF setup b4 and never experienced any "unplayable" stuttering, plus there is always raedon pro, I heard that fixes it

AMD FX Clubsniper.gif
post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif

post #38 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Funny thing is all I got from your post is that titan is not worth it.

have I ever said that it's objectively worth it? Lol. I've said it can be worth it to a person with some specific priorities.

in all of those cold flame wars in the Titan vs everything else wars people seem to forget that ^ and this is the main criteria not only to get a Titan or a different solution (in the same performance market area) but in every GPU purchase and even in anything in life.

For example, To me a 7950 CF is the desired solution because: i already have one (with a 7970 pcb which is a rare breed), the 7950's can usually pushed pretty far with the right cooling (and i know the Titan too), i like the look of two cards (especially when water cooled).

post #39 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion View Post

The FC3 video you posted, AMD or NV, and res?

NVIDIA, 2560x1600 @ 30FPS, V-Sync on.
post #40 of 206 Old 03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm no longer an Asushole

Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

NVIDIA, 2560x1600 @ 30FPS, V-Sync on.

You hear anything from AMD regarding when FC3/DX11/CFX will be fixed?

FC3 is the only game I play that is "broken" with CFX.
The only game where gameplay is noticeably different between SLI and CFX.

You ever do any blind testing, set up a platform and see if folks can pick out which HW is in use?

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant  6 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page