[PCPer] Frame Rating Comparison - HD 7950 CrossFire vs GTX 660 Ti SLI (full review) - Page 8 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #71 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Amiga 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Yeah, it is stuttering pretty damn bad in FC3. But my single card solutions also stutter a lot on it, so I think it's an AMD wide issue, not crossfire alone.

From what I've seen it's a Far Cry 3 problem more than an AMD/Nvdia problem as its terrible on both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Intel / NVIDIA Enthusiast

Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTGX95 View Post

what if AMD let the problem (partially) away so they could announce a (free) solution later as a PR move?
/conspiracy
(i know it sounds silly but still a possibility)

What if AMD purposely released Bulldozer with its known flaws, slowly fixed them with Piledriver, only to return to giving each core its own decoder in SR, and fixing the rest of the issues from the Bulldozer design, they did all this in order to have positive PR for Steamroller!

The answer to your question is NO.

If AMD could've delivered a smooth gaming experience for CFX from the get go, they would have.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #73 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

What if AMD purposely released Bulldozer with its known flaws, slowly fixed them with Piledriver, only to return to giving each core its own decoder in SR, and fixing the rest of the issues from the Bulldozer design, they did all this in order to have positive PR for Steamroller!

The answer to your question is NO.

If AMD could've delivered a smooth gaming experience for CFX from the get go, they would have.

just throwing the idea out, i know it has no sense but worth mentioning even if it is just comedic value.

but it could be partially true. what if the early release of the 7970 caused them either not spotting the ,ain reason for the lack of smoothness (i.e. the proper solution) or couldn't fix it in time and seeing that for the most of the 7000 series span they ran away with it until recently so working on it then might be in favor for their PR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:

what if AMD let the problem (partially) away so they could announce a (free) solution later as a PR move?
/conspiracy

i suggest reading AMD Comments on GPU Stuttering, Offers Driver Roadmap & Perspective on Benchmarking if you haven't. in it states that AMD believes that the issue(s) has also hampered overall performance. so to take a risky strategy such as that ought to have everyone question the sanity of the people involved in the decision making process.

and i'll refer to that article again on a side note. my god look at what tool they are using; GPUview. they are stumbling around in the dark, throwing rocks at every noise they hear . . .

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
post #75 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 55
To be honest I'd like to see some blind benchmarks, someone does the setup and benches and another person interpret them without knowing the video cards until after they analyze it. Just name it source 1 and 2 and let people rage on the comments before revealing who's who.
post #76 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Technician / Systems Builder

Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

Quote:

/conspiracy

i suggest reading AMD Comments on GPU Stuttering, Offers Driver Roadmap & Perspective on Benchmarking if you haven't. in it states that AMD believes that the issue(s) has also hampered overall performance. so to take a risky strategy such as that ought to have everyone question the sanity of the people involved in the decision making process.

and i'll refer to that article again on a side note. my god look at what tool they are using; GPUview. they are stumbling around in the dark, throwing rocks at every noise they hear . . .

(A.S.) - IT | CompTIA A+, Net+ | MCDST | PMP | DSCE (Dell)
US Navy Vet - GS-E (PO3)

daily driver | surround boi

Clubz... (Click to show)
post #77 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

yeah i agree, just wanted to throw the idea even if it's for comedic relief. (but then again you don't have to be sane to be successful rolleyes.gif )

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmental View Post

love the show though. (the 1956-1961 original not the 80's and 2000's remakes)

post #78 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 132
The only real issue I'm seeing in these videos is that the results aren't in sync. I would chalk that up to the fact that it's hard to match step to step on both setups. The 2nd issue I'm seeing is the horrendous tearing between both sets of cards. Yet some only want to label CF as having runt issues, lol. The 3rd thing I'm seeing is that CF does seems to have delay in panning. Which doesn't look at responsive or as smooth as it should be. Which looks to me that CF is actually providing lower frame rates. It would have been nice to see a frame rate counter when those videos where provided. That would tell the whole story as to what I'm seeing.

But as I'm reading the replies on those videos is does make sense, to me, why vsync is being questioned.
post #79 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
4.4Ghz for Netflix

Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustache View Post

You don't have to bold it because I've already understand it since a million years ago. I know that not everyone will notice the stuttering, you can discuss about that in different thread. The question here is, which one has more stuttering, sli or xfire? The answer is obviously xfire. I just hate it that some folks still denying that. Its okay if they denying it based on their own experience with xfire but the videos (which is 50% slower) clearly show the truth. The thing is, we don't need a superhuman vision to notice the stuttering in the videos.

Definitely, but you've got some people here (Who coincidentally own GeForces) who act as though it's a night and day difference in the real world.
I don't think many people are actually saying it's not real, they're saying that 1) a short term solution is to frame limit/vsync (Different things but both fix it for now) and 2) it's not that noticeable for a lot of people.
Quote:

IIRC if you have enough FPS you should eliminate (even if partially) stuttering right? (remember something about refresh rate, amount of cards and fps in a some sort of a formula to determine if there would be stuttering or not. might be completely wrong on this)

If you're going to get 60 minimum, you can use vsync to eliminate it...Or you can frame limit and hope for the best otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Would be interesting to see GTX 580 single and SLI because I think stuttering would be as bad as with AMD

I agree. I want to see this because TRs report seemed to show the GTX 570 being close to a HD6950 in latency.
Quote:

subjectively: the problem exists but since it is not an issue with me at this time there is no reason to fix it.

No-one but the deluded are saying "Don't bother fixing it, AMD!" at all, as some people can/B] notice it, most of us who are saying that it's not an issue with us are just saying "This doesn't mean you shouldn't go for AMD over nVidia if you originally were, you may not be affected and there's a short term solution as well."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Yeah, it is stuttering pretty damn bad in FC3. But my single card solutions also stutter a lot on it, so I think it's an AMD wide issue, not crossfire alone.

On the other two games, there's a bit of stuttering, but the biggest problem for me is screen tearing.

Majin SSJ Eric was having problems with that, too.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #80 of 542 Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM
nVidia Enthusiast

Liked: 23
Didn't AMD have a never settle bundle that included sleeping dogs and far cry 3?

What are Facts? Facts are facts because someone told you they are!

What is truth? Truth is what someone tells you is truth!

What is Government? Government is the very definition of Tyranny and evil this is why our founders were not stupid and wrote the Constitution!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page