[TomsHardware] Gigabyte Reveals Its WindForce 450 W Cooling System - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 24 Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
28db quieter, now thats what I'm talking about. Still don't know why they don't have an option where they have the heatpipes with fin stacks reaching over the back like some of the newer passive coolers. Take advantage of that real estate as well with a really good 2 slot design and it'd be a massive win for single card solutions (stacking with fin stacks over the back would be hard) Hell, even with triple and over the back, you could run super quiet and cool.

Need more options. GPU cooling solutions could and should be comparable to CPU coolers, yet there are so very few options. Would be nice to be able to buy a naked card and choose my own cooler. That would be sweet.

Most recent CPUs: 5000+ BE, 555BE, 1090T, 965BE, G3220, 955BE, FX8120, FX6300
Most Recent GPUs: HD4670, HD 4770, CF HD4870, GTX560, HD 6850, HD6950, HD7950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 AM
3 GigatronVolts/Pentasecond

Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Still don't know why they don't have an option where they have the heatpipes with fin stacks reaching over the back like some of the newer passive coolers. Take advantage of that real estate as well with a really good 2 slot design and it'd be a massive win for single card solutions (stacking with fin stacks over the back would be hard) Hell, even with triple and over the back, you could run super quiet and cool.

Those pipes would inevitably consume much more space, making the card wider (plsno). Also, imagine how hard it would be to remove the cooler in order to clean your card or whatever you have to take it off for (yes, be it rarely, it still happens). Not to mention that this would render some motherboards absolutely incompatible for a video card if, for example, you have something on other PCI slots, and RAM lockers or a chipset cooler that are on the way. I've tried making a similar custom solution for an old card, just for the sake of experimenting, and it turned out with <1mm clearance. So that would definitely be a no, unless the fins are stacked horizontally, which would be less effective and demanding a fan on the back of the case, sucking air out of it.
It's definitely a fun thought, but sadly it's so inapplicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Need more options. GPU cooling solutions could and should be comparable to CPU coolers, yet there are so very few options. Would be nice to be able to buy a naked card and choose my own cooler. That would be sweet.

Heh, there are few options indeed, but don't we get some quite decent 'market' coolers?
Also, choosing your own would still be a limited choice no matter what since it's not worth investing in different cooler designs for every single non-reference card.

Click Here To Join TC || My HFMClubs Clubs Clubs (Click to show)And the obligatory quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Thinking of changing the title to "The Hand Size and Beer Talk thread (rubber dome plebs stay out)." tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnanasnoic go_quote.gif

*sniff* There's just... there's just this big empty hole... I don't know if I want to go on anymore... You had to be there, you just had to be there... *sniff* #Onmyspacetoilet
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

i like to sneak my rig with two 7970 reference cards in it into the bedroom when my gf is sleeping and...

75 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #13 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 64
These cards wouldn't look half as bad if they plated those fins or painted them black like some CPU coolers have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 126
Not under any circumstance do you need a triple slot cooler for a single GPU card.

post #15 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 AM
3 GigatronVolts/Pentasecond

Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestache View Post

Not under any circumstance do you need a triple slot cooler for a single GPU card.
Matter of fact, my 680 is equipped with a WindForce 3x and as hard as I can push it (1293MHz effective boosted) and a fan profile set to maintain <65C, I've seen it stick at 65C under 100% GPU load, in games and benchmarks, with fans spinning at no more than 60% speed.
That, on one hand, perfectly suits me, because the card is running quiet. The noise doesn't bother me even without having my headset (for the record, my case is open and is about 1m away from me, at height relative to my head.
And it's cool - we've all read posts of air-cooled 680's getting ~70C, if not more, at fan speeds of 100%.

So while you don't push your fans to the limit, you definitely keep them alive for longer, and it's comfortable noise-wise.

Click Here To Join TC || My HFMClubs Clubs Clubs (Click to show)And the obligatory quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Thinking of changing the title to "The Hand Size and Beer Talk thread (rubber dome plebs stay out)." tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnanasnoic go_quote.gif

*sniff* There's just... there's just this big empty hole... I don't know if I want to go on anymore... You had to be there, you just had to be there... *sniff* #Onmyspacetoilet
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

i like to sneak my rig with two 7970 reference cards in it into the bedroom when my gf is sleeping and...

75 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #16 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKHunt View Post

28DB is a metric buttload of decibels. Consider that every 3dB seems like 2x the loudness. So whatever they're comparing it to is 2^(28/3) times as loud according to the human ear. That's impressive if true.

That's incorrect. The human ear doesn't perceive loudness proportional to amplitude. It takes approximately 10 dB increase to perceive a sound as being twice as loud, so a 28 dB difference would come across as 2^(28/10) = 7x difference, not a ~500x difference.

post #17 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

Matter of fact, my 680 is equipped with a WindForce 3x and as hard as I can push it (1293MHz effective boosted) and a fan profile set to maintain <65C, I've seen it stick at 65C under 100% GPU load, in games and benchmarks, with fans spinning at no more than 60% speed.
That, on one hand, perfectly suits me, because the card is running quiet. The noise doesn't bother me even without having my headset (for the record, my case is open and is about 1m away from me, at height relative to my head.
And it's cool - we've all read posts of air-cooled 680's getting ~70C, if not more, at fan speeds of 100%.

So while you don't push your fans to the limit, you definitely keep them alive for longer, and it's comfortable noise-wise.

My 4GB Gainward Phantom GTX 680s would reach all the way up into the 80-90 deg range at 100% fan speed with a 1100mhz overclock. Coolers were triple slot, cheap, loud and absolute rubbish.

Whilst my R7970 Lightnings even when in 3-4 Way crossfire with a 1250mhz overclock would never go over 65deg at around 60% fan speed and you could barely hear them.

Perfect example of how a good dual slot cooler should be approached. Make the PCB taller, which then gives you a lot more room for larger heatsinks and more importantly larger diameter fans.

Why this seems to be so hard for GPU manufacturers I don't know. Only thing I can figure would be cost.

Either way triple slot is stupid and not needed.

post #18 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmew View Post

That's incorrect. The human ear doesn't perceive loudness proportional to amplitude. It takes approximately 10 dB increase to perceive a sound as being twice as loud, so a 28 dB difference would come across as 2^(28/10) = 7x difference, not a ~500x difference.

Thanks for the correction, the numbers did seem unrealistic! thumb.gif

7x is still incredible.

All sorts of external n stuff n things.

3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #19 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 6
Quote:

My 4GB Gainward Phantom GTX 680s would reach all the way up into the 80-90 deg range at 100% fan speed with a 1100mhz overclock. Coolers were triple slot, cheap, loud and absolute rubbish.

Whilst my R7970 Lightnings even when in 3-4 Way crossfire with a 1250mhz overclock would never go over 65deg at around 60% fan speed and you could barely hear them.

Perfect example of how a good dual slot cooler should be approached. Make the PCB taller, which then gives you a lot more room for larger heatsinks and more importantly larger diameter fans.

Why this seems to be so hard for GPU manufacturers I don't know. Only thing I can figure would be cost.

I've found the cooler on my phantom 670 to be pathetic and loud too. Dissapointing considering how good they were on the 5 series cards. Need to get it on water!
post #20 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM
You Must Construct Additional Pylons

Liked: 307
Quote:

Having "taller PCBS" isn't done now because videocard and case manufacturers would have to create a new "high profile" standard to fit those fat PCBs

Just because because your Gainwoods sucked doesn't mean other brands haven't made better good products.

Gigabyte says this cooler has a 28 decibel and 2 degree difference from the stock cooler, thats impressive already.

I try my best not to buy videocards with coolers that don't vent hot air out of the case though.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page