post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
4387 point(s) total

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4426
Send a message via MSN to DuckieHo
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/...-guide-part-1/

Good overview on overclocking and why/how it is done.
mudd likes this.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 73
It's ok, but they still seem to hold overclocking as an unreachable pedastel for the majority of people; they treat it as if you have to be touched by divinity in order to circumvent 'data loss' or 'prevent excessive heating.' Basically, they're making a big deal about something that is fairly simple in current times. Realistically, nowadays, I could teach my grandma how to overclock in about ten minutes, but the article conveys that not even I would be able to overclock properly or something.

Jack Miner is all out of bubblegum.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 03:16 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 170
Send a message via AIM to dannyyboii Send a message via MSN to dannyyboii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjminer View Post
It's ok, but they still seem to hold overclocking as an unreachable pedastel for the majority of people; they treat it as if you have to be touched by divinity in order to circumvent 'data loss' or 'prevent excessive heating.' Basically, they're making a big deal about something that is fairly simple in current times. Realistically, nowadays, I could teach my grandma how to overclock in about ten minutes, but the article conveys that not even I would be able to overclock properly or something.
I guess it is somewhat true because the vast majority does not know much about computers and even buying a good one is hard. Why you think Bestbuy deceives all their customers -_-"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyboii View Post
I guess it is somewhat true because the vast majority does not know much about computers and even buying a good one is hard. Why you think Bestbuy deceives all their customers -_-"
True that, it just ticks me off that places want to retain their authority over people by not breaking things to references simplistic and easy for people to understand. Heck, even if they just gave a step-by-step on what to do and how to do it they'd keep their authority over others, so long as they did not explain the 'why' component. Then, at least people would be OCing instead of being freaking scared of their computers.

Jack Miner is all out of bubblegum.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 61
Send a message via MSN to Xerasyte Send a message via Yahoo to Xerasyte
Yeah but sometimes its easier to lord it over people, instead of helping them understand...cause god knows some wouldn't try to and would waste time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modki go_quote.gif
Haha cry more.
I want you all to cry into a small tupperware container and send it to me. I will keep them all in a nice big box labeled "people who cry about Windows" it's a very large box filling up fast. Once it's full me and Bill Gates will make Sorrowful Beer with it and enjoy it's bittersweet taste.
Dance little tin goddess, dance.
Gott ist tot.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Original OCN Gangsta

Liked: 520
Keep in mind it's the 1st part of however many articles they plan to publish...I certainly expect them to get into the overclocking portion of it Otherwise, what's the point of the article?

I think it was a mini-primer on Overclocking...I guess you have to list out all the features, benefits and pitfalls to make it an all-inclusive article.

My CNC Mill Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid
Burn + Electricty + Water =
But the man has the patience of a saint...
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
--Randy Pausch
Current Best Benchmark
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Send a message via MSN to DuckieHo
Yeah, most ppl reading the article already know how to overclock. Who else reads these things? Anyways, I think the point of the article is more of an overview. It can be bad for your components and they need to warn ppl. Like the newbie overclocker who just turns up his FSB to 300MHz.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 180
The problem is, if you make it sound too easy, idiots will try and make their computer run at 8ghz, ruin it and blame TomsHG. Thats the just the thing they have to cover their arse about.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page