post #31 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTree View Post

They use the same recipe again and again. At least they could try another approach. (open system?....cheaper?...)

well there are some big reasons for it to NOT be open system, but the cheaper part...definitely. Amazon Fire HD and the Nexus 7 have both showed consumers what the price point should be. I think if people spend less on the hardware, they'll actually consider purchasing some of these $1.99-$4.99 apps, benefiting the developers as well.

It's a shame that the hardware itself had to be THAT much of a barrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 247
Send a message via Skype™ to Domino
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

If at first you don't succeed, never ever try again.

Bye, bye flight, engines, and maybe the allies should have just given up on the Second World War, eh?
post #33 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

They lost almost a billion dollars on the first one. Why bother with a second?

I believe Thomas Edison would disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 612
post #35 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM
1/- for Intel and companies YOU don't like!

Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletSponge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

They lost almost a billion dollars on the first one. Why bother with a second?

I believe Thomas Edison would disagree.

Good. I'd rather he disagree with me. Edison was an awful person. Now Nikola Tesla, on the other hand...

Anyway, sinking $1 000 000 000 on inventing the light bulb? Great use of money (probably not that much considering the relative complexity of a light bulb and computer, but whatever, it's not a perfect analogy) because nothing like it had EVER BEEN INVENTED! Sure you had whale oil and kerosene lamps, but electric lighting was different enough from gas lighting and had enough obvious advantages that people bought it.

Apple more or less brought tablet computers to the general public. Many people have tried to copy them with decent success. The most obvious advantage is the price in many cases, and as far as I know most apps are cross-platform (ported, not run-on-iOS-and-Android) or have some sort of equivalent. Microsoft came out with an expensive ARM tablet running, instead of an up-scaled phone OS like the competition, a stripped-down desktop OS, and marketed it with the keyboard cover, essentially making it feel like an underpowered laptop that can't even run everything a cheaper laptop can. Sure, we all know it's a tablet, but it doesn't get portrayed that way.

But then there's the Surface Pro. That's x86 running Windows 8. Full-blown Windows 8, just like you'd get on a new desktop or laptop. And it cost $1000 (I'm including the keyboard since it appears in almost every ad and is a core part of the device). You know what I can get for that same price or less? A slightly less mobile, noticeably more powerful ultrabook. Hey, maybe I'll add in a couple hundred dollars and compare it to a MacBook Air, since that's Apple's closest (though somewhat forced) equivalent. The problem isn't that the tablets are bad. The problems are: the price compared to that of the competition, the price compared to a laptop, and the market has already been established. How many apps are in Google's app store? Apple's? Lots, right? Okay, good. Now check Microsoft's. Oh... You're paying too much money for a device that does too little, and nobody bought it because it's trying to fill a niche that just doesn't exist right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadBull go_quote.gif

someone sig this
post #36 of 36 Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 1
Windows 8 is a lousy mobile OS and there is no software for the lower spec versions that are not x86 based. And therein lies the problem. Along with the Surface Pro being an overpriced piece of junk, the RT literally offered nothing that a similarly priced ultrabook could not give you aside from a touch screen, and similarly priced tablets have had superior performance.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page