[Valve] Steam Machines - Page 14 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #131 of 172 Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Im interested to see how this will go, I added you guys, feel free to add me to get your 10 thumb.gif

I still need like 5 more! D:

PSN/Steam: Sadmoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 172 Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 46
add me to the list

i think this is great news another os to choose frome thats free as long as i can play games watch videos and surf the web i wont need to buy another windows based os again

to be honest how many off us who come on this forum do anything but play games and oc our computers do we need a bloted windows system ive said before id move over to linux os befor i would use that horrible os called windows 8 and now i might do it sooner than i planed if this steam os works out

just one problem at the moment that i can see will i still be able to play my uplay games and my origin games or will i have to stick to windows to play them
post #133 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM

Liked: 141
Quote:
Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world.

What irony, Steam has always epitomised the 'one size fits all' mentality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Programmer

Liked: 145

Seeking five friends for mutually beneficial friendship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadmoto View Post

Im interested to see how this will go, I added you guys, feel free to add me to get your 10 thumb.gif

I still need like 5 more! D:

I will add you. Is your ID the same as on OCN?

post #135 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 46
post #136 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 232
Why do i get the feeling that the streaming bit is getting the most love when as nice a feature as it is thats not really the big news here.

Regardless of whether you think you need it or not this is an entirely new (as far as window noobs are concerned) operating system to compete with windows full stop, not just for gaming. It will function in pretty much any way you want, as a big picture hands off plug n play pre-built or a desktop release as a pre-built or a end user desktop install on their own rig.

Over time hardware drivers (that gaming mouse, keyboard, soundcard etc..) and crucially display managers are going to get some serious love and investment (can you imagine the usually hyper arrogant nvidia just swallowed their pride and announced help with the open source driver after their terrible stance before and when Linus told them to F-Off) timing is key here..

Linux is right now easy to use, customizable, solid and has great software and is generally more efficient and faster to boot and use. With applications that are free on linux and usually very good at that, any left over can be run using wine transparently and crucially as mentioned when those hardware drivers and software gui's roll in from logitech, Asus etc.. then it will be a separate viable OS for everybody and knowone can claim that linux is any harder or less supported than windows for gaming.

Finally the knock on effect to the rest of linux will be that if you dont want SteamOS then you can still install 'Steam' and run it how you want on your own custom built linux distro and have it your own way but receive all the upstream benefit of improved drivers and a more cohesive experience

but yea... yay streamin ...

post #137 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

Why do i get the feeling that the streaming bit is getting the most love when as nice a feature as it is thats not really the big news here.

Regardless of whether you think you need it or not this is an entirely new (as far as window noobs are concerned) operating system to compete with windows full stop, not just for gaming. It will function in pretty much any way you want, as a big picture hands off plug n play pre-built or a desktop release as a pre-built or a end user desktop install on their own rig.

Over time hardware drivers (that gaming mouse, keyboard, soundcard etc..) and crucially display managers are going to get some serious love and investment (can you imagine the usually hyper arrogant nvidia just swallowed their pride and announced help with the open source driver after their terrible stance before and when Linus told them to F-Off) timing is key here..

Linux is right now easy to use, customizable, solid and has great software and is generally more efficient and faster to boot and use. With applications that are free on linux and usually very good at that, any left over can be run using wine transparently and crucially as mentioned when those hardware drivers and software gui's roll in from logitech, Asus etc.. then it will be a separate viable OS for everybody and knowone can claim that linux is any harder or less supported than windows for gaming.

Finally the knock on effect to the rest of linux will be that if you dont want SteamOS then you can still install 'Steam' and run it how you want on your own custom built linux distro and have it your own way but receive all the upstream benefit of improved drivers and a more cohesive experience

but yea... yay streamin ...

I think that since most people don't use Linux or truly understand the benefits of it...a lot of that excitement is lost on them. Though the initial reaction was based more on the side effects of a Linux platform. However, every one can relate to the streaming. I am quite sure the majority of users will still keep running Windows and then only have the SteamOS setup to stream. So thus the thread as gone into more of that.

Linux still has a long way to go for ease of use as well...if I told the majority of PC users that to install some software they had to open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install and that there might be libraries they have to install first as well they will look at me and say, "Umm...can't I just double click an exe file?". Even many above average users would not want to do things like that. And customization is nice, but no one wants to configure their OS...which on many distros is required on some level if you want things fully working. Even things like selecting a video driver can be troublesome to some one if they didn't know what they are doing, but in windows they just double click a file they downloaded.

Though Valve is going to alleviate these issues some what but making a distro with steam already installed. Once you have Steam installed then installing a game is the same as in Windows. You select the game from your library and select "install". I am hoping that they will automate some aspects of Wine as well...and get permission to distribute some of the .dll "hacks" that some games need. Though they aren't really hacks...I don't know why people call them that. I'd hope the publishers would be OK with that. If Valve does all this we will have a very good gaming platform...but people aren't going to start using it for more than that. 80% or more of people won't even be able to figure out how to install Libre Office for example. The world isn't ready...yet at least. I think this will be a good start though.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
post #138 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
What an Awesome Guy

Liked: 561
post #139 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Gone From OCN

Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

I think that since most people don't use Linux or truly understand the benefits of it...a lot of that excitement is lost on them. Though the initial reaction was based more on the side effects of a Linux platform. However, every one can relate to the streaming. I am quite sure the majority of users will still keep running Windows and then only have the SteamOS setup to stream. So thus the thread as gone into more of that.

The streaming for me is the best part because it extends the use of the power my main rig has to other "mini" or "thin" PC's around the house tongue.gif
Quote:

Linux still has a long way to go for ease of use as well...if I told the majority of PC users that to install some software they had to open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install and that there might be libraries they have to install first as well they will look at me and say, "Umm...can't I just double click an exe file?". Even many above average users would not want to do things like that. And customization is nice, but no one wants to configure their OS...which on many distros is required on some level if you want things fully working. Even things like selecting a video driver can be troublesome to some one if they didn't know what they are doing, but in windows they just double click a file they downloaded.

Then you're telling them to do it wrong. Ubuntu, Mint ( as it's based on Ubuntu ) and many other distributions have no need for a terminal for the average user. In fact, installing stuff on Linux is easier and safer than installing stuff on Windows. Open the Software Center, search what you want or browse the favourites ( all set in categories ) and click install. It does everything for you. You don't have to venture to a website and download a file you "think" is the right one and install this unknown program. For example, my grandfather wanted to install Skype, searched for skype on Google, hundreds of websites came up. He picked the first one and ended up installing Malware. That doesn't happen with a unified software center as easily.

And those who do know of it are either skilled at using it, or "tried" <- keyword and sometimes barely, some years ago and wouldn't recognize Linux today from their own Thumb. Linux is ever changing and ever becoming easier. You also have to remember, we aren't expecting people to be able to install Linux on their own. If it comes on a machine pre-installed and pre-setup, then anyone can use it with no problem. Installing, updating ( entire system and programs at once ), easier.

Not to mention most desktop environments tend to come with most of what the average people need OOTB.

Not much unlike that of the Apple store, Google Play store, or now Windows App store.

And customization is fully an option, it is not needed.
Quote:

Though Valve is going to alleviate these issues some what but making a distro with steam already installed. Once you have Steam installed then installing a game is the same as in Windows. You select the game from your library and select "install". I am hoping that they will automate some aspects of Wine as well...and get permission to distribute some of the .dll "hacks" that some games need. Though they aren't really hacks...I don't know why people call them that.

They are hacks. Hacking is modifying something to work in a way you want.
Quote:

I'd hope the publishers would be OK with that. If Valve does all this we will have a very good gaming platform...but people aren't going to start using it for more than that. 80% or more of people won't even be able to figure out how to install Libre Office for example. The world isn't ready...yet at least. I think this will be a good start though.

Nothing hard or confusing about the software center at all.

This is a big problem with a lot of things. Linux 5 years... I would agree with you. But Linux now, is honestly not much more different than many other systems you use in your every day life. The only problem Linux has is Microsoft's monopoly. Many manufacturers offer an Ubuntu or Linux option but no one chooses it because they've only ever used Windows and that's their safe zone. People won't venture out unless more of an effort is made to get the "Linux" name out there. People know Android, but don't know it's Linux. People know iOS and Mac OSX, but don't know it's Unix-based and certified. Windows has been in power far too long and people don't know of other choices.
post #140 of 172 Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Do you think a succesfull implemantation of SteamOS and SteamBox can get a big chunk of the console industry?

Probably not...not unless they can get a really large game library and literally make it as easy to use and pressing the power button to start a game. Plus there is the whole used games and sharing games piece. We saw how huge of deal those issues were with the Xbox One...

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page