post #61 of 62 Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Extreme Cable OCD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybutcher View Post

I'm still not able to find pricing on these, even through the company I work for (who sells and implements multiple IT solutions including massive storage warehouses). But, based on the 4tb Enterprise drives being $350-400 retail, I would expect these 6tb drives to be $700 or more a piece! Sure it may be double a "cheap" 4tb, but it's a lot cheaper to fill an existing chassis with more expensive drives, than add a new chassis with drives, possibly another rack, more power and possibly more cooling.

you really dont want to be me then butcher.

i have saved copies of every single VHS movie i deemed a good movie on my NAS.
i have about...200+ DVDs saved on it.
i have idk how many TB of pictures and home movies.
i just bought Another 2 bay shuttle NAS to fit with 2 more 3 TB WD Reds which by itself will be for my rig's backups.

and when i say NAS.

i mean i have a rack with 4x HP Proliant DL 100 G2 storage servers in it

im also in the process of accquiring a set of 2 dell poweredge 1100s from a friend of mine.

and thats just my PERSONAL storage.

if you want to get into what i setup in each family member's house......theres probably close to 700TB in storage...if not more....i lost track so long ago... i just keep having to add storage servers and 2-4 bay NAS boxes in thier A/C cooled NAS rooms. my parents alone have years worth of stuff in thier nas system. its all on raid 5 arrays with pre setup hot spares already in the machines. they filled a 10x10 room with server racks guys. picture it. theres maybe 1 4u server space left in that whole room. the nas units are up on shelves because theres no room elsewhere in there.

but yeah.... 6TB drives... would cut the amount of drives i have in my own setup in half.....and i dont know how many 3TB reds id have laying around in boxes if i had to switch my parents system over.... id probably have an OCN HDD firesale if they switched

i feel like spaceballs right now... not ludicrous speed but....

LUDICROUS STORAGE! *pulls switch*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Professional Procrastinator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

but yeah.... 6TB drives... would cut the amount of drives i have in my own setup in half.....
Exactly the point of these today. If you could replace multiple racks of 3-4tb drives with a smaller footprint in 6tb storage, the power savings over time would make up the cost. It also gives the ability to expand further using less space, power and cooling. These will be quite expensive for some time, but I do see them hitting the ~$400 point over the next couple years. Once consumer 6tb drives come out, the enterprise drives will drop a bit.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page