[fudzilla] Nvidia reiterates high-end SoC strategy - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
BigTree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Europe
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Quote:
In a recent conference call Nvidia Head of Investor Relations Rob Csongor outlined the company’s long-term Tegra strategy. Nvidia will continue to focus on high-end SoCs, Csongor pointed out. He compared Tegra to Nvidia’s GPU business, stressing that Nvidia simply doesn’t care about low-end GPUs anymore, as that market segment is covered by integrated graphics.

Source

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.” ― Plato
BigTree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM
PC Gamer
 
sherlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 312
More performance and more competition is always welcome in the SOC space, although I would prefer more focus on battery life optimization/low power state management instead of this race for 4K Tablet ready SOCs.

It will be interesting to see how Nvidia's integrated LTE tech competes with Qualcomm's.

I don't hug trees, but I do drive a Prius wink.gif

post-flame-small.gif GTX 1080 Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club post-flame-small.gif


 
sherlock is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Programmer
 
MrJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

It will be interesting to see how Nvidia's integrated LTE tech competes with Qualcomm's.

Qualcomm is light-years ahead of everyone else in this regard. Good luck to NVIDIA.

"AMD are on track to catch up on high performance cores"
- Jim Keller, Corporate Vice President and Chief Architect of AMD's Microprocessor Cores

"I hope so, Jim."
MrJava is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
 
Shadeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJava View Post

Qualcomm is light-years ahead of everyone else in this regard. Good luck to NVIDIA.

Yep. Qualcomm's been in the lead for a while. And another interesting fact is this: Google has introduced a new android API with it's knew Android 4.4 KitKat a known as ART (android run time). This feature promises to enhance loading speed and performance of applications and also increase battery life. The only downside to it is longer installation time (which is still short), along with a long lasting first time boot into that mode.

This feature only works on Qualcomm chips (my guess is that it's optimized for qualcomm). This means the smart choice would logically always be Qualcomm.
Shadeh is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Programmer
 
MrJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yes and the 805 is just a stopgap on 28nm HPM until they release the proper 20nm SoC for 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeh View Post

Yep. Qualcomm's been in the lead for a while. And another interesting fact is this: Google has introduced a new android API with it's knew Android 4.4 KitKat a known as ART (android run time). This feature promises to enhance loading speed and performance of applications and also increase battery life. The only downside to it is longer installation time (which is still short), along with a long lasting first time boot into that mode.

This feature only works on Qualcomm chips (my guess is that it's optimized for qualcomm). This means the smart choice would logically always be Qualcomm.

"AMD are on track to catch up on high performance cores"
- Jim Keller, Corporate Vice President and Chief Architect of AMD's Microprocessor Cores

"I hope so, Jim."
MrJava is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 PM
 
ssesfse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am more optimistic about Qualcomm, more advanced technologykA7FwG
ssesfse is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
PC Gamer
 
sherlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssesfse View Post

I am more optimistic about Qualcomm, more advanced technologykA7FwG

Agreed, we might have a replay of Tegra 3 vs MSM8960(Snapdragon S4 Pro), same launch time(Q1 2012), Nvidia have the performance edge but a process tech disadvantage( 40nm A9 vs 28nm Krait 200 ).

If Tegra 5 is going to launch with Quad 28nm A15 in late Q2-early Q3 2012 and Qualcomm answers with a Quad core 20nm SOC with reasonably close performance and significantly better battery life , Qualcomm would probably come out on top.

I don't hug trees, but I do drive a Prius wink.gif

post-flame-small.gif GTX 1080 Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club post-flame-small.gif


 
sherlock is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 PM
 
fullflvor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes,you need't to know too much.:rolleyes:This feature promises to enhance loading speed and performance of applications and also increase battery life. The only downside to it is longer installation time (which is still short), along with a long lasting first time boot into that mode.
kc0X8t
fullflvor is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 AM
 
Shadeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullflvor View Post

Yes,you need't to know too much.:rolleyes:This feature promises to enhance loading speed and performance of applications and also increase battery life. The only downside to it is longer installation time (which is still short), along with a long lasting first time boot into that mode.
kc0X8t

Is there a misunderstanding here Nvidia boy? If the first (and one time only) long lasting fast boot is bothering you then you're just nit picking. Because all boots after that are faster/normal.
Shadeh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off