Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Can you guarantee you will shatter it? Because, you know, if so, challenge accepted wink.gif

Strictly speaking, everything is possible. Absolute statements are just shorthand for "very high/low probability of occurrence". No need to be pedantic about it.

I can, easy. Of course if there are no restrictions applied.

Go to the 12'th floor of the building, drop it, profit.

When ever I'll get my hands on a supercomputer, all I'd want to do with it is watch two gifs at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

It's plastic so it still won't shatter (IMO)
Glass and crystal "shatter" plastic just breaks. The only plastic I know of that shatters is CD plastic. If that is what poly is, then I retract this post. thumb.gif

5Ghz 4690k on a CM 212 EVO If ignorance is bliss, retardation must be euphoria. Why you should avoid XFX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT go_quote.gif

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
post #23 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white owl View Post

It's plastic so it still won't shatter (IMO)
Glass and crystal "shatter" plastic just breaks. The only plastic I know of that shatters is CD plastic. If that is what poly is, then I retract this post. thumb.gif
Quote:
It uses a clear poly-carbonate and acrylic polymer.

tongue.gif

When ever I'll get my hands on a supercomputer, all I'd want to do with it is watch two gifs at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Intel Overclocker

Quote:

tongue.gif
Is that CD material though?

5Ghz 4690k on a CM 212 EVO If ignorance is bliss, retardation must be euphoria. Why you should avoid XFX.
Quote:

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
post #25 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Is that CD material though?

According to Wikipedia, yes. a least the poly part.

post #26 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Eh, wha?

Liked: 717
Quote:

Sure, and similarly I could put nets up around all the buildings in your area. We can always come up with arbitrary ways to counter arbitrary scenarios. Back in reality, you really aren't likely to accidentally shatter the screen on this device, which was the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crappy View Post

I had a Lumia 920 and that thing was pretty much indestructible. Dropped it so many times, including down about 20 rows worth of concrete steps at an ice hockey game. It had a couple of small marks/dents around the edge, but nothing else. My 930 with 'new improved' gorilla glass3 cracked falling just 2 feet out of my pocket in a reclining chair. They shouldn't have replaced the full polycarbonate shell with alu round the edge, as it does nothing to absorb the impacts. That's just as important as what the screen is made from. Yeh you can get a case, but they're clunky and fugly and defeat the purpose of having a nice looking phone.

There are plenty of low profile, good looking cases (many are better looking even than the phones they protect) that do a great job of protecting a device from the rigors of daily life - something no modern phone is really capable of naked. Furthermore, most modern phones are so darn thin and slippery that a case actually improves their ergonomics.

That said, yeah, screw metal phones. The only metal I accept on the exterior of a mobile device is on the few devices that have metal bits to dissipate heat.

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | Arcane
Servers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 go_quote.gif

Zero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. thumb.gif
post #27 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Sure, and similarly I could put nets up around all the buildings in your area. We can always come up with arbitrary ways to counter arbitrary scenarios. Back in reality, you really aren't likely to accidentally shatter the screen on this device, which was the point.
There are plenty of low profile, good looking cases (many are better looking even than the phones they protect) that do a great job of protecting a device from the rigors of daily life - something no modern phone is really capable of naked. Furthermore, most modern phones are so darn thin and slippery that a case actually improves their ergonomics.

That said, yeah, screw metal phones. The only metal I accept on the exterior of a mobile device is on the few devices that have metal bits to dissipate heat.

No dear sir. There's no mention of "accidentally" shattering it. They straight out say "guarantee not to shatter". Maybe they need to add an * and some small letters then smile.gif Without that it's false advertising, no matter how you spin it. A huge company like Moto should know it by now.

EDIT:

Straight from Moto's homepage
Quote:
1 The display and embedded lens are warranted against shattering and cracking for four (4) years from the original date of purchase; scratches or other damage to the protective lens is not covered by this warranty

post #28 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Intel Overclocker

Quote:

No dear sir. There's no mention of "accidentally" shattering it. They straight out say "guarantee not to shatter". Maybe they need to add an * and some small letters then smile.gif Without that it's false advertising, no matter how you spin it. A huge company like Moto should know it by now.
You're right.
That's why I brought up the fact that most plastics don't shatter. They just break. If this is a hard "CD" material, you'd have to double it over to get it that point.

Quote:

post #29 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:

You're right.
That's why I brought up the fact that most plastics don't shatter. They just break. If this is a hard "CD" material, you'd have to double it over to get it that point.

Depends, are "spiders" considered shattering or breaking? I mean, if it was glued to the front and you applied enough pressure on it you'll still get spiders on it. I'm quite sure it's considered cracking though? So it would sill apply for Moto's guarantee.

post #30 of 71 Old 11-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Eh, wha?

Liked: 717
Quote:

EDIT:

Straight from Moto's homepage

Any language can be deliberately misconstrued. There is literally nothing that has ever been "guaranteed" to anything that wouldn't be false advertising by your standards. your FX8350 has 8 cores... until you physically burn one out. Then it has 7 cores. AMD should be sued because physics technically allows the product they advertise as an 8 core to really be only a 7 core.

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | Arcane
Servers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 go_quote.gif

Zero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page