[OverclockersClub]Overclock showdown: GTX 980Ti vs GTX 1070 vs GTX 1080 - Page 14 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #131 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
 
iLeakStuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noufel View Post

sli scalling wasn't that good in TW3 ( neither in other games biggrin.gif )
for the lack of sli reviews isn't nvidia preparin a dual gpu ? tongue.gif i know that's a silly one

Witcher 3 got decent scaling. GTX 980 Ti 33FPS. GTX 980Ti SLI 56FPS. 70% scaling. Not far from typical 80% scaling.


75% scaling on 1440p
iLeakStuff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 AM
self deprecating narcissist
 
bigjdubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have zero interest in comparisons to other cards though. I know what the existing cards can do, all I care about is what the 1080 and 1070 in sli can do.... specifically in 1440p and 4k.

bigjdubb is offline  
post #133 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Overclocker in Training
 
Catscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: istanbul
Posts: 2,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Do you think Nvidia knows how to build cores with Async capability that AMD has ? Could this gen be their stalling game or they really no need to go faster because they still underestimate AMD ? Because if AMD can pull the rabbit out of : All consoles have AMD architecture means majority of the developers will be familiar with it so why use nvidia features ? What's gonna happen ?

This cat scratches free.


**The Official Intel Core i5-2500K/i5-2550k/i7-2600K/i7-2700K Owners Club**
Windows 10 Pro x64
IN - Sapphire AMD 280x 3GB TRI-X OC (Non-Boost) 1020/1500(6000)
Out - AMD Radeon HD 6850/6870 Owners Thread

Catscratch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #134 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post

So this architecture needs superior clock to surpass previous one.
Not really. Die size is much smaller.

ToTheSun! is online now  
post #135 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Noufel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Constantine, Algeria
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Witcher 3 got decent scaling. GTX 980 Ti 33FPS. GTX 980Ti SLI 56FPS. 70% scaling. Not far from typical 80% scaling.


75% scaling on 1440p
those benchies were made with an old drivers
we got 107 fps with 980ti sli in the bench you mentionned and an average of 80 fps in the youtube video with the same settings how do you explaine that ?
Noufel is offline  
post #136 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
iLeakStuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noufel View Post

those benchies were made with an old drivers
we got 107 fps with 980ti sli in the bench you mentionned and an average of 80 fps in the youtube video with the same settings how do you explaine that ?

Totally different maps tested. Not comparable
Not even sure why you do that when both single and SLI are in the result I linked
iLeakStuff is offline  
post #137 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Noufel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Constantine, Algeria
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Totally different maps tested. Not comparable
so bring the same maps to compare with the 1080 with the ancient driver biggrin.gif
PS : always wanted to start a conspiracy theory tongue.gif
Noufel is offline  
post #138 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Auto Overclocker
 
criminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYU87 View Post

I think a majority of us can agree GTX 1070 = 980TI (within margin of error) except for the rabid butt hurt 980TI owners.

Can't wait for 1080 Strix to be out.

Since I neither have a 980ti or the desire to get a 1070 at the moment, I don't see the butt hurt like some of you are seeing. I see it as a legitimate argument of the shortcomings of Pascal so far. I think many of you potential 1070/1080 customer want butt hurt to be there because y'all get some enjoyment from it. What I am hoping/looking forward to is AMD dropping a Polaris bomb in a few months that causes the 1070/1080 price to drop. Now that's gonna be hilarious.

Also, not sure if you heard but rumor has it that Asus has decided that the initial price of the Strix 1080 was not high enough. The price is supposed to be higher than first mentioned.
Shiftstealth and Serandur like this.

I have a big bang house. I had all the materials for my new house brought in and dumped on a vacant lot. I took a stick of dynamite, lit the fuse on fire and tossed it into the pile of materials. BOOM went the explosion and when the dust settled I had a new house! Amazing isn't it? rolleyes.gif

thumb.gif
criminal is offline  
post #139 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
EastCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buris View Post

Important to note for those trying to upgrade from the 980 Ti or Titan X to the 1070 running a 2560x1440 or 4K monitor...

For the love of god, don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskowitz View Post

At 1550 MHz on a 980Ti I should be roughly the same or slightly faster than a 1070 and about -20% to a 1080. $300-400 to upgrade for 10-20fps is not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

I came across this today and had a good look at their benchmarks. I love how Overclockers Club review GPUs, they're one of my favorite review sites.

Interestingly the GTX 1070 stumbles when running The Division at 4K.

A driver update may increase the performance in situations like this. Driver updates which increase the performance in certain games were seen for the GTX 970 and 980.
Or it could be the memory bandwidth holding back the performance, I think it is unlikely that the memory bandwidth would be holding back the performance to this extent though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mouacyk View Post

Oh this is good:

GTX 1070 - $380
GTX 980TI ~ $369 = ( $380 / 1.03 )
GTX 1080 ~ $454 = ( $369 * 1.23)

$599 - $454 = $145 - Premium for a 23% increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsg View Post

The difference between the 1080 and 1070 is quite large this time round, and it's particularly noticeable that the 1080-970 difference is much greater than a 970 to 1070 upgrade. The 1070 is excessive for 1080p gaming with the 480 coming out but falls short of being a 4K card. Just scraping 60 FPS at 1440p wont sell enough of them. Pricing is never linear at the top of the market - the 1080 does look the better investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Should include an overclocked Fury X for the bigger picture.

Fiji has been creeping up steadily in stock vs. stock comparisons to Titan X. It'd be nice to see where it really stands in comparison to the older and newer generation.

Edit: Oh, I just realized it's a regular old R9 Fury. I'm guessing you didn't have an fully unlocked Fiji chip to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyae86 View Post

So whoever own a 980 Ti...just hold on to it a bit longer...

But 980 owners will benefit from upgrading to a 1070...

However... If you spot a 980 Ti for cheap and under 300 bucks..Id go for it. I know I would since I sold my 980 already lol but only will buy a 980 Ti for 250, if I get lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serandur View Post

You completely missed the point. I wasn't talking about monster max overclock frequencies, I was clearly talking about throttling (14.4% performance difference with only 1.7% max clock difference) on the reference cooler and gave direct evidence of it happening. You know what throttling is, right? It's when a processor dials its clock speeds down from its maximum stable or recorded value due to excessive temperatures. People throwing around childish accusations of "butthurt" and "salty" while projecting their own meanings onto another person's post aren't doing themselves any favors.

This isn't hard to understand. The 1070 in particular features a die with nearly a whole GPC-worth of dark (non-functional) silicon to help spread heat transfer area. It also has a vastly lower heat output in general. It's likely not throttling or not throttling anywhere near as much as the 980 Ti with reference coolers on both. We don't know either way for a fact, but we do know the reference 980 Ti cooler isn't sufficient enough to stop the 980 Ti from throttling hard.

Ergo, we need custom model tests to get a full idea of what both chips (GM200 and GP104) do relative to each other with thermal limitations removed. Because that's what enthusiasts do... they get the models without cooling issues or otherwise modify them to get rid of cooling issues. Especially now that the reference model has a premium price attached to it, people who know what they're doing are even more unlikely to buy reference Pascal cards and therefore the reference models are even more irrelevant than before.



And since the baseless insults keeps coming up,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
knowing about unequal heat output and the inadequacies of reference coolers does not make a person salty or whatever other nonsense insult people use. Nor does owning a 980 Ti. Here's a little secret about most people willing to dump $650-$700 on a single card; they have more where that came from and are already mentally and financially prepared to invest in big Pascal or its equivalent and big Volta or its equivalent both with more space in between to scratch upgrade itches with stopgap cards if they desire it.

980 Ti owners are largely not bothered about a similar performance-class being available for $200-$300 cheaper a year after the fact. Most of them are knowledgeable enough about GPUs to know it would happen and bought the 980 Tis anyway because an extra year of gaming at a certain performance class was more important than saving the equivalent of a few measly hours of overtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post

So this architecture needs superior clock to surpass previous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noufel View Post

so bring the same maps to compare with the 1080 with the ancient driver biggrin.gif

These are the cliffs.

Take away so far:
-Similar overall game experience between ti/1070 although 1070 has roughly 595Mhz higher freq. at 16nm finfet, using a new arch. VS ti using a 28nm transistor process node using last gen arch, at much lower clocks.
-Diminishing returns at higher frequencies between ti/1070
-How long will TI get equal support?
-Where will prices/performance fall once Vega is announced/released?
Cata1yst likes this.
EastCoast is offline  
post #140 of 389 Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM
733mhz
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post

So this architecture needs superior clock to surpass previous one.

And it does have superior clock, so it does surpass the previous architecture - by an acceptable amount. What's your point lol.

SamTheJarvis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off