[HWUnboxed]Nvidia’s HB SLI Bridge – Surprising gains! GTX 1080 SLI Testing Inside! - Page 8 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #71 of 169 Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthello View Post

The Founders tax was a real going over the edge point i think for NV even. I mean bog standard PCB, crappy cooler and charge $100 for the so called "premium" components. Its almost like they engineered a shortage and are taking advantage of the situation. I don't believe the 1080 sold better than 980ti bs they have been spouting too .. i think that is just bs and spin IMHO.

They knew initial yields wouldn't be great, so they inflated the reference board price in order to get in on the action.

Why let all increased profits go to board partners by releasing reference cards at "MSRP?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 169 Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 AM
WaterCooler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

They knew initial yields wouldn't be great, so they inflated the reference board price in order to get in on the action.

Why let all increased profits go to board partners by releasing reference cards at "MSRP?"

Not surprised that they inflated the price. Mainly because they can, and because reference cards aren't always sell well after initial release. Though since other partners are also selling reference cards (FE from PNY, asus, gigabyte, evga, etc etc), their partners are also having a good time on the FE price tag.
FE cards aren't coming just from nvidia, so it is not like they are the only ones having a go at it.
post #73 of 169 Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 97
Quote:

The Founders tax was a real going over the edge point i think for NV even. I mean bog standard PCB, crappy cooler and charge $100 for the so called "premium" components. Its almost like they engineered a shortage and are taking advantage of the situation. I don't believe the 1080 sold better than 980ti bs they have been spouting too .. i think that is just bs and spin IMHO.

One of the issues with NV too is they go out of their way to degrade the last gen. I mean IF the HB bridge is getting most of its gains from having two bridges between SLId cards well guess what , maxwell could do the same. Maxwell cards also have the pinouts to support dual bridging. My asus bridge is a dual bridge for tri sli. But to expect NV to allow this with maxwell i won't hold my breath.

I guess i'm getting cynical , but if you look at it they just disabled tri SLI gaming for anybody that had it prior , i had tri 980s and they were fine apart from vram limit in most AAA games. Now thats not an option. I have not heard if you can actually play a game in tri sli now on an older gen card ? did they retro disable it ?? I feel sorry for people affected if that's the case.

So lets sum it up :
Founders Tax. Prices up $150 on last gen releases even for the mid range.
$40 HB bridges that give 70% SLI scaling which is touted as an upgrade. We had better scaling prior and it was free with the mobo ribbon. So a typcial high end SLI user is now paying $340 usd more for the mid range first release of the next gen.
No support for tri SLI gaming. It was working fine with my 980s for many games , now its not an option . Not a great direction to go in - they should be supporting multi GPU and more parallelism so we can run higher res's etc.

Thats enough of a rant, this comes from a TX sli owner so currently NV buyer but won't be much longer with this sort of carry on.

Yeah, I won't be buying another Nvidia card for a while. I finally sold my 970 as I was so disgusted by that whole RAM issue, but its gone now so whatever Ngreedia. I'll be sticking with AMD for the next few generations. I usually have a few cards of each brand. But I'm done with the games they have been playing until my temper cools down at least. That usually takes a few years for me. I tend to hold a grudge for a while. biggrin.gif

Last edited by wmcclain; 06-27-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 169 Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Politically Incorrect

Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post

Quote:

One of the issues with NV too is they go out of their way to degrade the last gen. I mean IF the HB bridge is getting most of its gains from having two bridges between SLId cards well guess what , maxwell could do the same. Maxwell cards also have the pinouts to support dual bridging. My asus bridge is a dual bridge for tri sli. But to expect NV to allow this with maxwell i won't hold my breath.

I guess i'm getting cynical , but if you look at it they just disabled tri SLI gaming for anybody that had it prior , i had tri 980s and they were fine apart from vram limit in most AAA games. Now thats not an option. I have not heard if you can actually play a game in tri sli now on an older gen card ? did they retro disable it ?? I feel sorry for people affected if that's the case.

So lets sum it up :
Founders Tax. Prices up $150 on last gen releases even for the mid range.
$40 HB bridges that give 70% SLI scaling which is touted as an upgrade. We had better scaling prior and it was free with the mobo ribbon. So a typcial high end SLI user is now paying $340 usd more for the mid range first release of the next gen.
No support for tri SLI gaming. It was working fine with my 980s for many games , now its not an option . Not a great direction to go in - they should be supporting multi GPU and more parallelism so we can run higher res's etc.

Thats enough of a rant, this comes from a TX sli owner so currently NV buyer but won't be much longer with this sort of carry on.

Yeah, I won't be buying another Nvidia card for a while. I finally sold my 970 as I was so disgusted by that whole RAM issue, but its gone now so whatever Ngreedia. I'll be sticking with AMD for the next few generations. I usually have a few cards of each brand. But I'm done with the games they have been playing until my temper cools down at least. That usually takes a few years for me. I tend to hold a grudge for a while. biggrin.gif

I've had a grudge against them since the whole G80 fiasco. I felt so betrayed I switched to AMD when the two 8800GTS 320's I had died and not looked back.

Considering their practices lately with overtesselated games (GimpWorks), the 970's 3.5+0.5GB RAM, lack of optimisation for games prior to the release of the next generation, the 1080 Throttle Edition, no Tri-SLI for the 1080's and now this ridiculous bridge scam there is no way I will buy an Nvidia card. I almost bought a 970 on release but it's taught me to be patient and see what drama unfolds after release first.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #75 of 169 Old 06-28-2016, 02:06 PM

Liked: 55
You guys sound like desperate to make stuff up to be upset about, yet the red team has NOTHING to offer that even comes close, performance is what matters not ur feelings about something you wouldn't of ever found out on ur own, but if you are desperately trying to save abit of money enjoy the 970 performance the new amd cards 2 years later.
post #76 of 169 Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

You guys sound like desperate to make stuff up to be upset about, yet the red team has NOTHING to offer that even comes close, performance is what matters not ur feelings about something you wouldn't of ever found out on ur own, but if you are desperately trying to save abit of money enjoy the 970 performance the new amd cards 2 years later.

I dunno , some people don't see it . The 750 ti was maxwells first card, NV were praised for it. AMD release their low end card first and get lambasted by some.

AMD went polaris 10 and 11 first / Vega 10 and 11 are next , its a schedule .. planned schedule. AMD will bank more $$ because of it so its not a bad schedule in reality .

There is nothing really new at the top end performance wise from NV either, if you call 15% a good upgrade then you might have an option. Otherwise what pascal brings to the table so far is pretty ho hum , apart from power savings.

So it just leaves a lot of people waiting for something better .. in either camp.

i7 930 @ 4.75 -> i7 2700k @ 5.45 -> 3770k @ 5.2 -> 4820k @ 5.1 -> 5820k @ 5.3ghz
GTX580 SLI@1070 > 7970 lightning CFX@1400 > 780 TiC SLI@1505 > 980 Strix Tri SLI@1740 > Titan X SLI 1633/8380
post #77 of 169 Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 14
@Orthello I mostly share your feeling about NVIDIA practices. But, I do support the focus on 2 way SLI only. The problem lies deeper, it's the way developers want to program the games that is making increasingly difficult to make scaling across a wide variety of games achievable in 3+ GPUs. Your notes about the pricing are precisely aligned with my opinion. AMD is right by hitting hard first the mainstream market and I think this little card will go a long way for then. But what cannot be ignored is how far better the perf/watt is on the nvidia front. And that ultimately allows then to reduce costs, maximizing profits. The bridge scheme is pure marketing. They could have just said "ok folks, we're dropping 3-way, now you may increase the bandwidth by using two standard bridges or if you will we have some new bridges coming out". Even more concerning is the fact that in the process of promoting the super ultra new bridge they actually confessed that they knew that past generation cards in multi GPU configs in surround and/or 4k were bandwidth starved see LINK HERE, nevertheless those were the use scenarios where those 3-4 way SLI setups would make sense and they have been promoted greatly by then. There is no denying that this massive amount of money has enable NVIDIA to come up with some nice propositions this new way of properly projecting in surround setups is great for instance, fast sync should be great but as people are talking it isn't that great. Also another thing that they seem to limit is the pixel clock to 330Mhz over DVI (I, for instance, use for ages an IPS 1440P @120hz that needs 469.2Mhz to do so), also that "way" of disabling new features that could benefit older cards just to force upgrade, that's a terrible way of doing business...

post #78 of 169 Old 07-03-2016, 04:22 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 48
So it seems can't run the HB with my CPU over clocked to 4.7. This overclock has been stable for 3 years. I don't get a crash but the refresh rate drops to 59hz on my monitor.
post #79 of 169 Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 76
alright guys so i'm the department manager of watercooling at Xidax Computers. we took an opportunity to test out the new HBM Bridge vs the older hard-style bridge on Firestrike and in a few instances, the older style bridge bought more points to the gpu side of the test. we didn't test the ribbon style bridge, only because there's just no point with our higher end systems.

we tried with three systems:

1. SLI 1080s, 6950x @4.375ghz, XMP 2400mhz
2. SLI 1070s, 6900k @4.2, XMP 2400mhz
3. SLI 1080s, 6850k @stock, XMP 3000mhz - 4K monitor

we did the firestrike 4k render test on all three, with the third one with an actual 4k monitor to see if it made a difference.

all three were within 60-100 points of each other, being new style vs old style bridge.

this all equates to just another money grab by nvidia in my eyes.

www.liquid.haus
Team Heatkiller
post #80 of 169 Old 07-03-2016, 01:22 PM
First Time Build

Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisshort117 View Post

alright guys so i'm the department manager of watercooling at Xidax Computers. we took an opportunity to test out the new HBM Bridge vs the older hard-style bridge on Firestrike and in a few instances, the older style bridge bought more points to the gpu side of the test. we didn't test the ribbon style bridge, only because there's just no point with our higher end systems.

we tried with three systems:

1. SLI 1080s, 6950x @4.375ghz, XMP 2400mhz
2. SLI 1070s, 6900k @4.2, XMP 2400mhz
3. SLI 1080s, 6850k @stock, XMP 3000mhz - 4K monitor

we did the firestrike 4k render test on all three, with the third one with an actual 4k monitor to see if it made a difference.

all three were within 60-100 points of each other, being new style vs old style bridge.

this all equates to just another money grab by nvidia in my eyes.

That's great, but the thing is they never said that the new hb bridge would have ANY frame rate or gpu usage benefits vs any of the other bridges. The only thing that was ever officially stated is that it may improve frametime variance at extreme resolutions.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page