Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenger View Post

lol grave mistake, Jesus haha.

AMD BURNIN' DOWN MUH HOUSE!!!

I love how he just scrolled past The Stilt's fix, and AMD's update about a driver fix going through QA, to tell us all that the RX 480 has failed whilst selling like mad.  

Doomed like a fox.

"You are individuals. You are small and you think in small terms." - Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01

5 Million+ Folding at Home points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant   Forum Folding War 2017 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:03 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by comagnum View Post

Been running my card overclocked to 1340/2200 since the 30th on a budget motherboard (msi 970-g46). No issues. No dead pci slot. No restarts. This is still being blown way out of proportion in my eyes. Everyone should take a chill pill.

The failures do not have to occur immediately. In the worst case scenario, your hardware could be slowly damaged over time. The wearing down rate of the hardware is an unknown factor right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post

I love how he just scrolled past The Stilt's fix, and AMD's update about a driver fix going through QA, to tell us all that the RX 480 has failed whilst selling like mad.  

Doomed like a fox.

I have seen no final solution yet and I am not a fan of fixing products after they launch. The product either works from the get go or is doomed - that's my mentality. Yes, the RX480 is selling like mad right now. But if the problems pile up or word gets around, this could end really bad. In addition I have no clue why you guys still defend this like if you were obsessed. Are you that guillable or just fanatics?
post #933 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 643

Neither. It's an admitted issue albeit one that has been ridiculously overblown. It's being rectified and The Stilt's work proved that it could be addressed without a product recall and redesign like some of the nutters were on about. Given that a fix to address any potential long-term problems is going through presently, I very much doubt that things will 'end really bad'. Look at some of the light back-pedalling done by Tom's and JayZ, as an example, and you'll see that the lynch-mob mentality that the doomsday preachers like yourself are advocating is just nonsensical.

It's an issue. Lots of products have issues that make it past the keeper. Instead of pretending that extra power draw from the PCIe slot is a feature, AMD is putting out a nuanced fix that even addresses the potential performance loss that some people were convinced would happen. This isn't a non-issue but I'm not prepared to demonise AMD for it any more than I was prepared to demonise Nvidia for releasing a furnace that doubled as a GPU. As grown men and women we should be more than capable of addressing products, companies, and issues with said products and companies sensibly without hyperbolic nonsense or pitchforks-and-torches mob mentality.

AMD did a goof. It's nothing that can't be fixed. It's evidently being fixed. That's a lot better than hardware released with glaring issues that are not addressable, i.e. overclocker's dream.

"You are individuals. You are small and you think in small terms." - Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01

5 Million+ Folding at Home points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant   Forum Folding War 2017 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 AM

Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post

Doomed like a fox.

Fully appreciate The Stilt's fix, but:-

a) we're shifting loading from 3 phases supplied by PCI-E slot to 3 phases supplied by PCI-E plugs. The supply sourcing from PCI-E slot has not gained dramatic cut, ~10W. This will be easily used up with some moderate OC'ing IMO. Due to the shift we're technically loading 3 phases more than other 3.

b) AFAIK PowerPlay PowerTune/Limit values don't differentiate on where power supply to GPU is sourcing it only deals with limiting TDP/TDC/MPDL to GPU only.

So basically IMO AMD will either tighten PowerTune via driver to lower power usage as whole or something similar. The current ref PCB will not IMO be like recent past AMD cards on PCI-E slot usage on average. If that facebook page is official (don't use FB so no idea) this section to me spells out what I think their only options is:-
Quote:
Finally, we’ve implemented a collection of performance improvements for the Polaris architecture that yield performance uplifts in popular game titles of up to 3%. These optimizations are designed to improve the performance of the Radeon RX 480, and should substantially offset the performance impact for users who choose to activate the “compatibility” toggle.

So you gain 3% without “compatibility” and lose with it on, taking you back to relative performance prior to PCI-gate.

Interesting post by The Stilt:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Hawaii or Fiji based cards don't draw anywhere near the maximum allowed by the specification (i.e 66W) from the PCI-E slot. They draw the power for the GPU VRM from the PCI-E power connectors and the power drawn from the PCI-E bus itself only feeds VDDCI VRM and the display interfaces (on Hawaii) and MVDDC and display interfaces on Fiji.

View average figures on image below.

Due to the RX 480 ref PCB design it will never be like Hawaii/Grenada/Fiji IMO on PCI-E slot usage.
post #935 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:29 AM

@SuperZan
Overclocker's dream was just a bad PR stunt. Messing up the power specs of a hardware product however is not!

You can play the Apologizer the whole day, but it will not change anything. Any vendor who does mess up like this has to be pummeled till they never dare to do the same again. I don't care if its AMD, Nvidia or god knows who.
post #936 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:31 AM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Hoshi View Post

What are you talking about? The problem is still not fixed and it will never be without loss of performance. I was one of the persons talking about hardwrae issues/flaws of the RX480. Normally those are not fixable unless you change the hardware - aka unfixable. The software can only solve symptoms, but then you leave with a half-baked product.
No mainboard manufacturer with a sense of business would fix the mess only the AMD RX480 created. Rather than throwing cash at a problem which no other card has, the mainboard manufacturers would write a warning in their manuals and exclude potential damage caused by said hardware out of the warrenty acceptance.
Buy a better designed graphics card and you will have no problems with budget mainboards. Maybe the overhauled AIB RX480 don't have this problem. Otherwise this card is doomed.
Why is that?
The financial situation is always present. If this state does not change, AMD is as good as bankrupt in a few years. If this finally happends, nobody can claim not to warned.

I see the financials as one of the main reasons for the RX480 debacles. Had AMD more budget for research & development, such a grave mistake would never have happened.

So then nvidia has half baked products as software is helping them tackle Async?

Mainboard manufacturers don't have to do anything, AMD is doing a fix for the overblown problem.

Lol very early to be talking about the card possibly being doomed.

The bankruptcy issue is boring, and is only bought up as an attack on AMD, it is getting very old. It will be a valid discussion for a time when they have to start paying their debts. Start a thread on it.........see how pointless it is.

Has this problem impacted you personally? ie do you own a 480? Sounds like it's got you into a bit of a spin, maybe chill out.
Quote:

@SuperZan
Overclocker's dream was just a bad PR stunt. Messing up the power specs of a hardware product however is not!

You can play the Apologizer the whole day, but it will not change anything. Any vendor who does mess up like this has to be pummeled till they never dare to do the same again. I don't care if its AMD, Nvidia or god knows who.

So why don't you just relax until the fix works or doesn't work?
post #937 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:35 AM
Apple Enthusiast

Liked: 184
Talking about fixing product after launch - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-vive-displayport-incompatible,32204.html tongue.gif

new tech isn't going that well for both sides haa.

Quote:
"if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)
setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);"
post #938 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitng4realGPU View Post

So then nvidia has half baked products as software is helping them tackle Async?

Do you seriously compare a serious issue with the overblown power usage with a feature not everybody cares about? WOW!

Quote:

Mainboard manufacturers don't have to do anything, AMD is doing a fix for the overblown problem.

I believe it when I see it. That is the different to you guilable people here. Some of you have such a blind trust ... it's really scary.

Quote:

Lol very early to be talking about the card possibly being doomed.

Oh, do you think this will not have consequences?`As soon as AMD brings your hard awaited fix, all the news sites will write articles about it. Then suddenly the uninformed will hear of it and the word will spread. I don't see how the reference RX480 can recover from this.

Quote:

The bankruptcy issue is boring, and is only bought up as an attack on AMD, it is getting very old. It will be a valid discussion for a time when they have to start paying their debts.

Has this problem impacted you personally? ie do you own a 480? Sounds like it's got you into a bit of a spin, maybe chill out.

It's not an attack! Every company in the world is measured by their financials. Why do you think this doesn't account for AMD?
Your last paragraph is boring, because it is not helping at all.
post #939 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:52 AM
333mhz

Liked: 1
People keep thinking its just a spike that is going over still LUL

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula/Extreme Club

[ Althon : CPU-Z Validator | Phenom : CPU-Z Validator ]
post #940 of 1129 Old 07-06-2016, 01:56 AM

Liked: 66
Quote:

Do you seriously compare a serious issue with the overblown power usage with a feature not everybody cares about? WOW!
I believe it when I see it. That is the different to you guilable people here. Some of you have such a blind trust ... it's really scary.
Oh, do you think this will not have consequences?`As soon as AMD brings your hard awaited fix, all the news sites will write articles about it. Then suddenly the uninformed will hear of it and the word will spread. I don't see how the reference RX480 can recover from this.
It's not an attack! Every company in the world is measured by their financials. Why do you think this doesn't account for AMD?
Your last paragraph is boring, because it is not helping at all.

Both 'problems' seem to be overblown, Async and the power issue. (Not to mention other issues I would call minor on pascal cards right now)

Even great companies have problems with products, they tweak tings over time, or even do large recalls. This problem seems to be fixable via software. Graphics card companies are good at avoiding this through stringent manufacturing procedures.

The reference card has already sold piles of cards, and the power issues has not been proven to damage anything. If the fix works this will be a distant memory in 3 months time.

Like I said the financials of AMD are boring, what is the relevance of discussing them right now?

Here I'll sum up a thread on their financial situation..............

'AMD is in a dire financial situation'
'Yep they are doomed'
'I wish someone would buy them out'
'yeah that can't happen till at least 2018'
'oh'
'Well I wouldn't buy any products cos they doomed'
'Companies that close/sell always honour warranty'
'oh'
'So yeah AMD is doomed'
'mhm it would seem that way'
'blah blah blah'

Your whole posts are boring, because you don't understand how the real world works. Every company has a small issue every now and then with a product.

Why not wait for the alleged fix before getting into a hissy fit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackHeaven View Post

People keep thinking its just a spike that is going over still LUL

They are working on a fix, we can't judge anything until the said fix has been applied and tested, it's really that simple but some people are confused.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page