[TH]Titan X Review Posted - Its a Monster! - Page 20 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #191 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 12:04 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
l88bastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Van Down by the River
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 92
This card. This Titan X Pascal. Its worth every penny.

People can debate the cost or performance % over XYZ other cards, but it has to be played to be experienced.....and once you experience it. You know. Worth every red cent!






That is all.

Yeah like a really bad song on the radio that the station keeps repeating and repeating.
In time you find yourself tapping your foot and singing along.
It's like being programed.
l88bastar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #192 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado
 
Exilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

Your own image has 1TB/s HBM2 using less power than GDDR5 at what looks to be something like a quarter of that bandwidth. I agree that it probably wouldn't benefit GP102 much if at all, but barely any better than GDDR5X? Really?

That chart was used to make a statement that HBM won't be enough to power exascale computing, and clever software needs to minimize the amount of data it shuffles. It's actually a very interesting presentation. The GB/W figure for GDDR5 is on the lower end I've seen in this whole debate. AMD claims a bit above 10GB/W for GDDR5. GDDR5X is supposed to be good for up to 22GB/W and HBM sits at 35GB/W.

Saying HBM is barely any better than GDDR5X is silly on its own, but at the scale of bandwidths required by consumer GPUs the HBM2 premium is not worth it at all yet. We're talking about saving 55% (maybe) of 11%, which ends up in the mid single digits improvement.

Exilon is offline  
post #193 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 12:27 AM
PC Gamer
 
mypickaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypickaxe View Post

No one bats an eye when folks buy 2x 1080s (which cost more overall) but they flip out over those who buy the $1200 TITAN X.

Yes, two cards that are somewhat fairly priced cost more together than one card that is massively overpriced... what kind of argument are you even trying to make here? Do you like paying $1200 for a graphics card? If nobody had bought any of these ridiculous cards in the first place GP102 might have debuted as the $700 GTX 1080, or at the very worst at the same $1k price point as the original Titans.

The problem isn't the money, the problem is what you're getting for the money.

You know exactly what the argument is. SLI is not 100% scaling. You can come close to 1080 SLI performance (and beat it in some games, as well as all games which do not properly support SLI) with the TITAN X *for less money than 1080 SLI.*

So, next time, please think about the argument before you try to insult the person you're responding to.

mypickaxe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #194 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 01:03 AM
 
ChronoBodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by l88bastar View Post

This card. This Titan X Pascal. Its worth every penny.

People can debate the cost or performance % over XYZ other cards, but it has to be played to be experienced.....and once you experience it. You know. Worth every red cent!






That is all.


Yea, the same was said of the OG Titan, and I bought the OG Titan, with exactly the same thought process.

And look what happened, overpriced cards, sure its 30-40% faster, but for $1200? Even the GTX 1080 is overpriced, yet is better price/perf compared to that, or hell, the GTX 1070 to begin with.

And eventually, the performance of OG Titans, as will this new Titan X, will be had in the later Ti variants for hundreds of dollars cheaper, the Titans were never worth it, and I regret even getting the OG Titan.

We used to get mid-range die size cards for $250 like the 8800 GT or the GTX 560 Ti, now, the very same mid-range die size analogue in the GTX 1080 now retails for $700.


Nvidia knows that idiots, like me once, will overpay for middling 30-40% improvement, and they get away with it because nobody looks at the whole picture.

We are getting a crap deal compared to previous generations, the Fermi generation was the good days, not this.

The GTX 980 Ti was the only card recently that was priced right and fairly, only because AMD had their Fury X to counter it. You bet your ass that 980 Ti could have been $850 or more if AMD didn't have any answer.

Are we going to keep justifying $1200 for this Titan X, nevermind the fact that this Titan X Pascal is not even the full chip, it's only 3584 cores compared to the full-fat 3840 cores possible.

Then what, Volta Titans for $1500? $2000? At what point does it end? At what point can you claim it is "worth" it, knowing that this performance can be had for a far more reasonable price like 3-4 months later, like it was for OG Titan to GTX 780 Ti, and again with Titan X Maxwell to GTX 980 Ti.


In the dark future, the $2500 Titan Volta, comes out, and finally it makes no sense anymore. If GPU's are this expensive, VR won't advance its userbase any bigger because we need those better GPUs to push VR even higher, but it's not happening with the ridiculous prices of Nvidia. in this we need AMD to bring out their Vega and bigger cards, so one GPU is not having a monopoly at the high-end, and leaving the rest of us scraps.
ChronoBodi is offline  
post #195 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 02:52 AM
PC Gamer
 
Luciferxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dry & Cool
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Luciferxy is offline  
post #196 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 AM
 
guttheslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post


We used to get mid-range die size cards for $250 like the 8800 GT or the GTX 560 Ti, now, the very same mid-range die size analogue in the GTX 1080 now retails for $700.


Nvidia knows that idiots, like me once, will overpay for middling 30-40% improvement, and they get away with it because nobody looks at the whole picture.

We are getting a crap deal compared to previous generations, the Fermi generation was the good days, not this.

.

Yup Fermi day were the last of the best.





This trend will get steeper as each perf per dollar no longer deflate, in fact who knows it might inflate if AMD continue get kicked on its ass.

guttheslayer is offline  
post #197 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 06:23 AM
PC Gamer
 
st0necold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by l88bastar View Post

This card. This Titan X Pascal. Its worth every penny.

People can debate the cost or performance % over XYZ other cards, but it has to be played to be experienced.....and once you experience it. You know. Worth every red cent!






That is all.

dude your full of it. if you ran the TX side by side the 1080 you couldn't pick which was which.

I'm glad you have one it's the best out but don't say the "experience" is any different then a 1080.

acer x34 oc' 100hz, x99x k1ller, 5960x, h110i gt, titan x pascal w/evga hybrid cooler, dominator 16gbb platinum ddr4 3000c, fractal r5, evga 1000w gpsu, noctua nf14's, 2x 1tb 850 evos raid0, nintendo switch
st0necold is offline  
post #198 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 AM
PC Gamer
 
st0necold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Dunno about games but in the benching section no 1080 even comes close to my scores in FS, 3DMark11, Heaven, and Valley...

FS, 3dmark, and heaven/valley are not games they are just short films that show you how many frames you can push.

hey if that's worth 2400 to you great. The games will look the same.

acer x34 oc' 100hz, x99x k1ller, 5960x, h110i gt, titan x pascal w/evga hybrid cooler, dominator 16gbb platinum ddr4 3000c, fractal r5, evga 1000w gpsu, noctua nf14's, 2x 1tb 850 evos raid0, nintendo switch
st0necold is offline  
post #199 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 AM
Audiophile
 
Zaor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Greece
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Since we are on the subject can someone make a chart of $/FPS of $1200 Titan vs RX470 about $150?(I suck at math frown.gif )
Taken from the rx460/470 thread

http://www.benchmark.rs/artikal/test_sapphire_radeon_rx_470_nitro_8_gb-4169/1
Zaor is offline  
post #200 of 410 Old 08-04-2016, 06:31 AM
4.0ghz
 
Woundingchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

Yea, the same was said of the OG Titan, and I bought the OG Titan, with exactly the same thought process.

And look what happened, overpriced cards, sure its 30-40% faster, but for $1200? Even the GTX 1080 is overpriced, yet is better price/perf compared to that, or hell, the GTX 1070 to begin with.

And eventually, the performance of OG Titans, as will this new Titan X, will be had in the later Ti variants for hundreds of dollars cheaper, the Titans were never worth it, and I regret even getting the OG Titan.

We used to get mid-range die size cards for $250 like the 8800 GT or the GTX 560 Ti, now, the very same mid-range die size analogue in the GTX 1080 now retails for $700.


Nvidia knows that idiots, like me once, will overpay for middling 30-40% improvement, and they get away with it because nobody looks at the whole picture.

We are getting a crap deal compared to previous generations, the Fermi generation was the good days, not this.

The GTX 980 Ti was the only card recently that was priced right and fairly, only because AMD had their Fury X to counter it. You bet your ass that 980 Ti could have been $850 or more if AMD didn't have any answer.

Are we going to keep justifying $1200 for this Titan X, nevermind the fact that this Titan X Pascal is not even the full chip, it's only 3584 cores compared to the full-fat 3840 cores possible.

Then what, Volta Titans for $1500? $2000? At what point does it end? At what point can you claim it is "worth" it, knowing that this performance can be had for a far more reasonable price like 3-4 months later, like it was for OG Titan to GTX 780 Ti, and again with Titan X Maxwell to GTX 980 Ti.


In the dark future, the $2500 Titan Volta, comes out, and finally it makes no sense anymore. If GPU's are this expensive, VR won't advance its userbase any bigger because we need those better GPUs to push VR even higher, but it's not happening with the ridiculous prices of Nvidia. in this we need AMD to bring out their Vega and bigger cards, so one GPU is not having a monopoly at the high-end, and leaving the rest of us scraps.


I think you really have to take into consideration the market for this card that extends outside of gaming. The card definitely has a place in the GPGPU market.

30-40% may seem meager to you, but having been PC gaming since the 90s it most assuredly isnt a marginal increase; couple this with the very large performance increase over the Maxwell Titan and while you may not find the card to be worth its price point I can easily see why it has sold out (which is why I bought one). Realistically Im not sure where else in PC components you can expect these performance increases in this time span, outside of gpus Im not aware of any. Even if we see a TI version released in 3 months many of us have no problem paying the premium for entry.

This card caters to very specific markets and I completely understand that you arent in those markets, but prior to this doom and gloom aspect of heavy handed Nvidia prices you should perhaps remove yourself from your lone point of view. If you dont want it dont pay for it, pay for the mid stream consumer cards that cater towards your market and still offer impressive performance.

If you arent pleased with the progression of the industry perhaps you should go to console gaming or something of the like. The gaming industry should be able to market and cater to all demographics and price points.


Realistically the 1080 retails at 700 usd (even then good luck finding one at that price), for an additional 500 usd consumers get: 50% bus size, 50% memory pool, 35% performance metric, 1000+ core count, etc within months of the 1080 launch. Surely you can see how there is a viable market for this card.

It wasnt that long ago that I remember premiums for multi gpu cards that were higher than buying 2 gpus in SLI and Xfire, those cards were very highly priced even years ago. This market for single card high end gaming has always existed, it has just changed a bit.

Woundingchaney is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off