[AT] AMD Zen Microarchitecture: Dual Schedulers, Micro-Op Cache and Memory Hierarchy Revealed - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM
1.7ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouacyk View Post

We don't actually have any KNOWN facts to extrapolate on, besides the Zen chip finishing the rendering may be 1 second before the Intel one in what looks like an approximately 50 second workload. How gimped was the quad-channel DDR4 memory system on the Broadwell-E system? Rendering workloads do take advantage of memory bandwidth. Lack of transparency in the controlled experiment should mean questions, not conclusions.

Ok then, for sake of argument....   lets say they both tied (in blender).

And that at 3ghz they have roughly the same raw processing power & crunch. What would that mean/imply at 3.8ghz..?  4ghz? 

Less performance, or more.. on both chips? How much more, or how well they scale is to be determined. Whats not, is the giant leap forward that is Zen.

We are after all...  talking about a 6900k ($1,100). You fail to recognize that Zen is hitting that high... and YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW what it will clock at. Or what the wattage, or thermals are going to be. But we do know, it won't cost $1,100 ...! Not even half that..!

How can you be jaded by Zen's release?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 11:20 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

Let's compare a 2012 CPU to 2015-2016 ones, that makes sense, right?

That's just straight out one of the least useful graphs I've ever seen.
6900k is roughly 50% faster than the 4790k at stock. If you downclocked it to 3ghz the advantage should be around 30-40% for the 6900k. The 4790k is obviously faster with <5 threads used.

Right, given that^, look how much more robust Zen is, compared to Haswell. It looks to compete with kaby lake.

Because the real comparison is not going to be at 3Ghz, but 4ghz. And we have no reason to believe that Zen scales badly with Ghz.

AMD can win on price. 8-core AMD Zen @ $499 ..?

post #43 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 11:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 280
3 questions they do not want to answer.
When, how fast, how much $.

Until then all this is just teasing, just like they are teasing with P10/11 which is almost inexistent at retailers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Networking Nut

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy409 View Post

Not trying to be a downer nor a fanboy but someone posted this in the comments.

https://www.techpowerup.com/152569/amd-fx-8150-looks-core-i7-980x-and-core-i7-2600k-in-the-eye-amd-benchmarks

At this point, its either the real deal in its launch or nothing at all.

and we saw how that played out...
post #45 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 AM

Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

Finally, hopefully more affordable "5960x"s for everyone.
Hopefully.... it's a little more in reach, around $650ish for zen 8 core?

Intel initially had plans of going 6 and 8 core mainstream with Kaby Lake. Try $350.
LAKEINTEL likes this.

“You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters. ” -Plato, Laws X

Inner liberty can be judged by how often a person feels offended, for you can no more insult a mature man than you can paint the air. -Vernon Howard

post #46 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 PM

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

Let's compare a 2012 CPU to 2015-2016 ones, that makes sense, right?

That's just straight out one of the least useful graphs I've ever seen.

That was a very useful graph. I'm glad it was posted, helps put things in perspective. Why so triggered?
post #47 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredwagen View Post

and we saw how that played out...

Exacly this. Also:

post #48 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM

Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarble View Post

True its more of a personal benchmark than a realistic expatiation. To keep my 64gb way of life quad channel helps keep me from using stupidly dense dims. For normal workloads quad channel is really not going to make any meaningful difference in usable bandwidth over dual.

Well, if you don't spread the ram in a quad it is useless to begin with. What I've commonly seen is people using 4x16's in a quad using only 4 slots, if you gotta have 64gb then a board should get 8x8gb sticks, the on-board bank scheduler is better than the depth scheduler in the DIMMS themselves. I've seen the difference on a LGA2011v1 with 3960x on it, its actually detectable. But quad DEFINITELY works better than dual when you have the same ram total.

The end problem here is a fairly poorly known fact that even win10 operates in 16GB program ranges, so having more than 32gb on a win7/win8.1 system doesn't make any difference to performance of a single task and only a marginal increase on win10.

However, the server Zen hardware will be accessible by the public just like the G32 and G34 hardware was, it's just the Opterons really weren't gaming chips because of their low clock, they couldn't make use of AMD's super high single core clock and functionality down in the 2.2 to 2.8 range. I've got a twin G34 and I've never found a task of any kind that would actually make it chug even when I process 600 exposure composite astrophotography stacks in a program called Pixinsight (which is excellently coded for multithread, sucker drives my 4930 harder than folding@home pushed all the way up)

The flip is that if AMD actually manages to drive dual channel at DDR4 at 4000, the chip may well be more rockin than the i7-x7xx chips! We're also seeing rumors that the Zen comes in a 8core+2cuAPU variant for workstation use. Which while not great for gaming would definitely be a rocket of a chip if it can leverage the CU's for floatz.

Gotta wait and see.
Gonna be fun tho when Starship comes out the gate.
post #49 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro3ootector View Post

Exacly this. Also:

Well. Compare sandy core vs bulldozer vs zen core.
post #50 of 233 Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 203
Crossing my fingers and wishing hard, PLEASE don't mess up the pricing on this and blow all of your hype and steam in one instant. I'm wishing for no more than $$550. Right in between the 6800K and 6850K. Hell, if they shoot for $500 even, even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page