Forum Jump: 

post #131 of 172 Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

Seems pretty decent for productivity. I really wish I could justify having one on my desk at work.... although i would have to paint that hideous white plastic, white plastic screams cheap/chintzy to me.

Why get this over a 40-43" 4K though? The input lag on this monitor is as high as some 4K TVs (~20ms). 43" curved 4K can be had at less than $700 too https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN43KU7500-Curved-43-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01EBGJYSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474952807&sr=8-1

Even if you consider a 43" 16:9 monitor too tall, you don't have to use the extra real estate but it's there if you want it.

It scores some extra points for the 75 Hz but with a NV card you basically can't use it due to the frame skipping, and the flicker inducing low blur mode sounds awful for desktop use

If the 75 Hz worked on NV cards in normal mode and at $500 cheaper then I'd maybe consider getting this.

Seems like LG isn't really trying with LCDs anymore. The 34UM95 wasn't targeted towards gamers either yet still was a very appealing option with 4K prices being much higher back then. I don't see this monitor doing the same. hopefully this means an OLED monitor from them isn't far off (next year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 172 Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiumone View Post

Yeah, this display just isn't great for gaming.
That figures, this is and was always meant to be a productivity display, not a gaming one. The overshoot and input lag figures definitely reinforce the point, though I'm confused at it not having an internal power supply as it's definitely big enough to have it.
post #133 of 172 Old 09-26-2016, 11:40 PM
333mhz

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

Why get this over a 40-43" 4K though? The input lag on this monitor is as high as some 4K TVs (~20ms). 43" curved 4K can be had at less than $700 too https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN43KU7500-Curved-43-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01EBGJYSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474952807&sr=8-1

Even if you consider a 43" 16:9 monitor too tall, you don't have to use the extra real estate but it's there if you want it.

It scores some extra points for the 75 Hz but with a NV card you basically can't use it due to the frame skipping, and the flicker inducing low blur mode sounds awful for desktop use

If the 75 Hz worked on NV cards in normal mode and at $500 cheaper then I'd maybe consider getting this.

Seems like LG isn't really trying with LCDs anymore. The 34UM95 wasn't targeted towards gamers either yet still was a very appealing option with 4K prices being much higher back then. I don't see this monitor doing the same. hopefully this means an OLED monitor from them isn't far off (next year)

The reason ppl don't usualy go for a TV is because they're made for TV. Whereas a monitor is always has shaper image, shaper text etc. And the LG has IPS wide gamut color. The only downside for this new 38" LG Ultrawide monitor is it doens't support Nvidia G-sync, which imo is better than Amd Freesync. I don't get why they're keep releasing Amd FreeSync monitors, but not Nvidia Gsync anymore?

-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post

The reason ppl don't usualy go for a TV is because they're made for TV. Whereas a monitor is always has shaper image, shaper text etc. And the LG has IPS wide gamut color.
Except the right TV's have way bigger color gamuts than this LG monitor and 4:4:4 4K PC mode, which negates both of your statements.

post #135 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 AM

Liked: 264
Quote:

The reason ppl don't usualy go for a TV is because they're made for TV. Whereas a monitor is always has shaper image, shaper text etc. And the LG has IPS wide gamut color. The only downside for this new 38" LG Ultrawide monitor is it doens't support Nvidia G-sync, which imo is better than Amd Freesync. I don't get why they're keep releasing Amd FreeSync monitors, but not Nvidia Gsync anymore?
Because nVidia G-sync is way more expensive to implement which increases the monitor prices, which means less people can buy them. And in reality it's not inferior to G-sync.
post #136 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 08:20 AM
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

Except the right TV's have way bigger color gamuts than this LG monitor and 4:4:4 4K PC mode, which negates both of your statements.

Which TV has wide color gamut? can u name the model and brand and the price?

post #137 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 AM
self deprecating narcissist

Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

Any 16:9 screen over 32" is too tall to put on an office desk. It's fine for at home but you can't see over the top of it in an office... not to mention that it looks absolutely ridiculous to people who walk into your office.

post #138 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Programmer

Liked: 159

"Lucky Goldstar" making a fine monitor. Too bad my 4K needs are already met or I'd buy two.

So many forget, or never knew what LG stands for. Thanks goodness they are not making junk Boombox electronics anymore. :D

"Everyone is entitled to their own Opinions, but not their own Facts!" cigar.gif

post #139 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM
333mhz

Anyone knows an equivalent Korean monitor of the new LG 38" Ultrawide?

post #140 of 172 Old 09-27-2016, 10:48 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Current high end TVs will destroy this monitor (actually all monitors) in IQ. They simply use much better panels in them.

KS8000 for example has a true 10 bit panel (this is still 8bit +FRC), has wide color gamut and supports HDR.

Problem is it only comes in 49" though, probably too big for most.

The $700 TV I linked is comparable with current monitors though. As long as you run it in 4:4:4 there should be no issues with text. It is VA, but there are 4K TV offerings from LG that are IPS (although, no curve). If you want curve, IPS, and above 34" then I guess this monitor is your only choice.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page