[TechCrunch] Sony packs more power into its compact cameras with the RX100 V and a6500 - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

Smart phone will never rivalize with big inconvenient camera.

The reason why is physical. The optics that focus the light takes a lot of space. The light beam cannot magically be focused over a tiny distance.

If you want quality picture with a smartphone, you will be pretty limited with what you can do. With a good camera you can change the optics to get what ever effect you want.

Smart phone are more than enough for 99% of the population. They are getting better and better. Its not just the glass and optics. Smartphone have much better image processing power because of their SOCs.

CPU History (Click to show)
CPU -> Sempron 2400+, Athlon 64 3700+, Core 2 Q6600, A8-3870K, Core 2 Q9550, Core 2 QX9770, Core i7 920, Core i5 2500K, Core i5 3570K, Phenom II X4 955, Core i7 3770K.
GPU History (Click to show)
FX 5200 128MB, 9800 Pro 128MB, 6800GS 256MB, 7600GT 256MB, HD 4850 512MB, HD 4870 1GB, 2x HD 4870 1GB, GTX280 1GB, HD 5850 1GB, GTX470 1.25GB, GTX580 1.5GB, HD 6950 2GB, HD 6950 2GB + HD 6970 2GB, HD 6990 2GB, HD 7970 3GB, 2 x HD 7970 3GB,R9 290 4GB, R9 290X 4GB, R9 Fury X 4GB, GTX 1080 8GB, GTX1080 Ti 11GB
MB History (Click to show)
ECS KN1 Extreme -> ASUS P5Q-E -> GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 -> GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 -> GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H -> ASRock Z77E-ITX

Chimp Challenge Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Audiophile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

Phones have already killed the camera market and made it into an extremely niche thing. Think about it - there was once a time when practically every single household owned a pocket Kodak/Nikkon/etc for photos and a Sony handycam for videos. That era is long gone thanks to smartphones.

I agree there will always be a gap between smartphone photo quality (even the best) compared to what a proper DSLR camera can do. But the average consumer just wants something that takes clear crisp photos that capture the moment. And photos/videos are ALL about capturing the moment, for which 99% of the population simply won't bother carrying around a separate bulky camera for when a phone does the job just fine.

Nowadays the only reason someone will buy a dedicated camera is if they are legitimately interested in photography and/or unsatisfied with what phone cameras can do...i.e. for the extremely niche <1%.

Even then if i say im gonna go out one day to take some pics when my phone wont do, I can just carry a reasonably priced digital camera (In my case my fuji x a2) Has most the advanced features i need if not all, I can change lenses if i break the one i have, but also i can get pictures into a 21:9 resolution with just a %7 crop heh

sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R Fan Club skull.gif

Stuff I say often.

The only things that love you are the things you have purchased
You can not beat a good sega soundtrack
post #13 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 03:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:

I know it's hard to accept but...

It's not the most detailed graph, but the point stands.

As smartphone sales have skyrocketed, camera sales have been dropping like a ROCK. It's not a coincidence.

No, of course smartphones will never truly "kill off" the camera market. There will always be some photographer out there who needs a DSLR, just like here are companies that buy $4000 Quadro cards. But that's just what it is, a super-niche thing that 99.99% of consumers need not bother with.

I'll quote my post again...

Quote:
Quote:

Phones have already killed the camera market and made it into an extremely niche thing. Think about it - there was once a time when practically every single household owned a pocket Kodak/Nikkon/etc for photos and a Sony handycam for videos. That era is long gone thanks to smartphones.

They have killed the cheapo pocket compact camera market.

The enthusiast/prosumer market is on the rise and has been for quite a while.

That graph does not discern camera types. By far the highest volume of sales (in terms of sold units) was the el cheapo PnS market, not prosumer/professional cameras.

Point still stands.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 04:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

I'll quote my post again...

That graph does not discern camera types. By far the highest volume of sales (in terms of sold units) was the el cheapo PnS market, not prosumer/professional cameras.

Point still stands.

I bought a Entry Level DSLR because starphone cameras were not good back in 2012. Now I never use my DSLR. Its about the place/subject/moment and smartphone is walsy with you.

CPU History (Click to show)
CPU -> Sempron 2400+, Athlon 64 3700+, Core 2 Q6600, A8-3870K, Core 2 Q9550, Core 2 QX9770, Core i7 920, Core i5 2500K, Core i5 3570K, Phenom II X4 955, Core i7 3770K.
GPU History (Click to show)
FX 5200 128MB, 9800 Pro 128MB, 6800GS 256MB, 7600GT 256MB, HD 4850 512MB, HD 4870 1GB, 2x HD 4870 1GB, GTX280 1GB, HD 5850 1GB, GTX470 1.25GB, GTX580 1.5GB, HD 6950 2GB, HD 6950 2GB + HD 6970 2GB, HD 6990 2GB, HD 7970 3GB, 2 x HD 7970 3GB,R9 290 4GB, R9 290X 4GB, R9 Fury X 4GB, GTX 1080 8GB, GTX1080 Ti 11GB
MB History (Click to show)
ECS KN1 Extreme -> ASUS P5Q-E -> GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 -> GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 -> GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H -> ASRock Z77E-ITX

Chimp Challenge Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #15 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 110
If you bought an entry level DSLR and now you never use, then you never even needed a DSLR in the first place.
post #16 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Programmer

Liked: 178
If you're bringing up a smartphone....you're in the wrong thread.
Clients call me regularly to take photos at events for great money, and they aren't expecting me to walk up with an iPhone.

You gotta be kidding thinking there's some argument to be had between this amazing a6500 and mere smartphones.

Less casuals buying pro equipment for their childs birthday party? Hmmm you don't say!

post #17 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by xartic1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

I don't know, I think this camera is aimed at a crowd that wouldn't consider using a smartphone for the camera they want.

I don't think that smartphones will kill the digital camera market anytime soon,if ever.

Unless they can put 40x optical zoom in a smartphone, then I could not see this taking over. In fact, I will be buying my SO a dslr this weekend.

Even with 500x, it won't be the same...
Every advancement the smartphones tiny sensor has, the camera's 100 times bigger sensor have. The bottleneck is in the physical side of things (sensor area, tiniest detail the lens can resolve per its area, number of photons reaching each photodiode), so "bigger" is always better. ALWAYS.

To be more precise, a iPhone 7 and equivalent cameras have a 1/2.6" sensor I believe, that is 45.6mm^2 area.
A APS-C camera (like the A6xxx series from sony) has a 368mm^2 and a FF camera has around 864mm^2. So its roughly 10 times and 20 times bigger respectively. And infront of those much bigger sensors, you have those .5~1Kg lenses concentrating light onto the sensor...instead of a 2gr 3-4mm thick lens on the smarphone...yeah, it cannot be the same. EVER.

Whomever has a DSLR from 2012, or even 2006, and cannot do better than a iPhone 7 / S7 does, I am not sorry to say you are incompetent. Even if "all you have is an entry DSLR / kit lens".

Now, in the cheap compact side of things, camera manufacturers have lost most of the market-share they had to smartphones.

Thus all the new cameras that come out that have a chance to make good money for them, are 1" diagonal sensors (like the RX100 series) or bigger.

[Build Log] the FooBox - Watercooled 540 AIR, and 2700 threads
Forgive my rants - I am harmless - Nullius in verba after all.

Chimp Challenge Participant  30 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #18 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 84
Stares....darn, that is a nice small camera. Considering you can still put glass on those too.

But yeah, the normal consumer not looking to buy these bad boys.

Though, I'm with the group of, yeah, smartphone takes somewhat decent shots, but when I want to take some very nice shots. I lug my old D90 around. Plus, trying to take picture of aircraft in an airshow with a phone or tablet is probably not going to go over well.

I'm just a crazy nutty gal that likes computer hardware.

Certs (Click to show)
Security +
Associates CS degree.
Studying for HAM Radio Technician license.
Working on ALS and gaining CCAF degree (6 credits to go).
Onwards for a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering.

Chimp Challenge Participant  250 Million Folding Points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x3  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #19 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

By far the highest volume of sales (in terms of sold units) was the el cheapo PnS market, not prosumer/professional cameras.

Point still stands.
It's hard to define what "prosumer" means, let alone stack up their numbers (which you don't have). Lets see it from another angle...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/shootout-redux-smartphone-camera-vs-tricked-out-dslr-one-year-later/
Quote:
Ultimately, the winner here is the smartphone, not the DSLR. The DSLR triumphs technically, and it will produce better images under almost any circumstance, but it’s just hella hard to stack it against the iPhone’s portability and "good enough"-ness.

Is the smartphone better? No. The DSLR and its lenses, even in my unskilled hands, produce higher-quality images, period. They’re higher resolution, and they contain more detail. It’s impossible for the iPhone’s little 8.5mm-ish sensor to grab as many photons as the DSLR’s big 35mm full-frame sensor. The DSLR wins every time, and the iPhone’s output, while good, isn’t as good.

But that’s the thing: the smartphone may not produce the same massive, high-detail 22MP images as the full-frame DSLR, but the smartphone does manage to be good enough. Under most lighting conditions indoor or outdoor, the iPhone produced images that were perfectly acceptable—more than good enough to post on Facebook or e-mail to friends and family. If you're taking photos for print publication, a DSLR is the way to go; for personal use, a smartphone is perfectly fine. Even if cost is no object and dropping $9,000 on a DSLR and a bunch of lenses doesn’t faze you, the smartphone is still good enough for just about anything.

So rejoice, casual photographers—that smartphone in your pocket is almost certainly more than enough camera to capture just about anything you’re likely to encounter, day or night, indoor or outdoor. Unless you specifically need it—and you’d know it if you did—you don’t have to lug a DSLR around to take amazing images.

post #20 of 100 Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 166
Even bringing up a smartphone camera in this thread is an insult to any true photographer, amateur or pro. I bought a Nikon 750D with 4 lenses(macro being my passion, paid highest for a great Sigma) last year and it set my back over 8K. Did I need it? No, not really, but I will never look at photo's the same again. Don't get me wrong, phones do a great job of taking pictures to put up on Facebook and other quickie type images and some are pretty impressive considering the lens size. But if you really love photography, those just don't cut it. You put the same pictures side by side taken by someone that has at least minimal knowledge on how to use a pro/prosumer camera and it's instantly noticeable why these camera and lenses exist and cost so much.
I dove in head first with no knowledge and it has taken me a full year to just understand all the terminology and get used to taking it off of the dreaded "Auto" mode, heh. But after I learned just some very simple tricks and tips from a friend (she is a true pro, owns her own studio, has some impressive magazine spreads and awards under her belt, all at the age of 35) I was amazed at what a good lens allowed me to produce. I am hooked and yeah I can't help but get snobbish when it comes to pictures, especially ones from a smartphone. I fell into the crazy world of prosumer photography and I can never unsee just how terrible your average picture is from a phone. And I'm not even remotely good yet with my setup. Most people won't understand and that is OK. Crazy expensive equipment isn't for everyone and you really, really have to love pictures to put that kind of investment into it.
darkwizard likes this.

1) "Couldn't care less" not "Could care less" 2) "Moot" not "Mute" 3) "For all intents and purposes" not "For all intensive purposes" 4) "Their/There/They're", "Affect/Effect", "Than/Then", "Your/You're", "To/Too/Two" learn the differences.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page