Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
"Right before the deadline passed for filing comments in the FCC investigation of Comcast's traffic-management practices, telecoms and other cable companies submitted a slew of comments defending Comcast's actions to the FCC. 'Just about every big phone company has filed a statement challenging the FCC's authority to deal with this problem. AT&T, Verizon, and Qwest all submitted lengthy remarks on February 13th, the last day for comments on the proceeding (parties can still reply to comments through the 28th). "The Internet marketplace remains fundamentally healthy, and the purported 'cure' could only make it sick," AT&T's filing declared. "At best, the network-management restrictions proposed by Free Press and others would inflict wasteful costs on broadband providers in the form of expensive and needless capacity upgrades — costs that would ultimately be passed through to end users, raise broadband prices across the board, and force ordinary broadband consumers to subsidize the bandwidth-hogging activities of a few."' P2P fans have also weighed in."
Source: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...48219&from=rss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 196
See told ya Comcast wasn't the only one doing, they're just the only one to get caught so far.

(2) Canon 40d (1 Gripped) (2)Tamron A09 28-75mm f2.8 (2)Canon 50mm 1.8 (1) Canon 430EX II (1) Yongnuo RF-602 Flash Triggers (1) Canon SX-130 P&S

post #3 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
AT&T, Verizon, and Qwest all submitted lengthy remarks on February 13th, the last day for comments on the proceeding
So I guess for those that have fleed to FIOS you'll be seeing the fruits of this venture as well. There's an old saying that hold so true in this whole situation. The needs of the many (normal broadband users) far outweigh the needs of the few (P2P users and those that "hog" bandwidth)

(2) Canon 40d (1 Gripped) (2)Tamron A09 28-75mm f2.8 (2)Canon 50mm 1.8 (1) Canon 430EX II (1) Yongnuo RF-602 Flash Triggers (1) Canon SX-130 P&S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Grumpy

Liked: 776
You know I could do the math again, but if you take the amount of people who pay for high speed internet, and then divide that by the amount required to update their infrastructure, they would only have to add a couple dollars a month for a year to pay for it all, I would much rather do that for a better faster and consistent connection, then have to worry about getting cut off.

post #5 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 128
If I am reading this correctly, the article says that these companies are trying to find ways to stop p2p?

I have fios and the other day i posted something from the NY Times saying that verizon wasn't going to get involved with peoples downloads cause A. it costs money and B. they believe everyone has the right to privacy.

Here ya go:http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-piracy-fight/

even though this has to do with hollywood, its still the same concept of trying to stop P2P in terms of screwing up P2P connections. This right here says Verizon isn't going to do that.

Besides JeremyFr, fios and DSL work very differently from cable. The reason why comcast is throttling is because everyone and their grandma share the same data pipe where as FIOS and DSL get their own line and don't require throttling. So using P2P networking is basically affecting Cable customers only
post #6 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
Besides JeremyFr, fios and DSL work very differently from cable. The reason why comcast is throttling is because everyone and their grandma share the same data pipe where as FIOS and DSL get their own line and don't require throttling. So using P2P networking is basically affecting Cable customers only
I'm sorry to say but you are truely wrong. I've worked for both cable and DSL providers, and they are both a shared connection. Look up a DSLAM and see what it does, no different than a node used by cable providers.

post #7 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
A Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) allows telephone lines to make faster connections to the Internet. It is a network device, located near the customer's location, that connects multiple customer Digital Subscriber Lines (DSLs) to a high-speed Internet backbone line using multiplexing techniques.[1] By locating DSLAMs at locations remote to the telephone company central office (CO), telephone companies are now providing DSL service to consumers who previously did not live close enough for the technology to work
Source......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dslam

So guess what they're all a shared connection.

post #8 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
nVidia Enthusiast

Liked: 306
So how does that explain this:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-piracy-fight/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFr View Post
I'm sorry to say but you are truely wrong. I've worked for both cable and DSL providers, and they are both a shared connection. Look up a DSLAM and see what it does, no different than a node used by cable providers.
True but DSL does not have the problem of speeds going down in peak hours like cable does, which is why cable companies want to use traffic shaping.

post #9 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
With great difficulty

Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
If I am reading this correctly, the article says that these companies are trying to find ways to stop p2p?

I have fios and the other day i posted something from the NY Times saying that verizon wasn't going to get involved with peoples downloads cause A. it costs money and B. they believe everyone has the right to privacy.

Here ya go:http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-piracy-fight/

even though this has to do with hollywood, its still the same concept of trying to stop P2P in terms of screwing up P2P connections. This right here says Verizon isn't going to do that.

Verizon is unwilling to be the copyright cops, but they still want the right to throttle users. They don't want to penalize for sharing copyrighted content, just for using too much bandwidth. The two positions have similar effects (torrent throttling) but are very different.

And jeremy is correct about dsl/fios. Lines to a customer's house combine to feed to central hubs, which combine to fiber pipes, which connect to the fiber backbone. It's the way every internet connection works, the way plumbing works, the way you circulatory system works, and pretty much every other system that requires a central driver to deliver something to a huge number of individual sites.

post #10 of 24 Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFr View Post
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dsl4.htm
"Although cable and DSL speeds are about the same, the one disadvantage with cable is bandwidth -- connection speeds can slow down if too many people are using a cable service at the same time."

http://www.logical.net/broadband/dsl/dslvscable.asp
"DSL is a dedicated connection between your computer and the Telcos Central office. With DSL, there is no sharing bandwidth with your neighborhood. Cable modems offer service over a shared cable."

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page