[AP] Gates Sees Diminished Role for Keyboards - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
8200RPM HDD Overclockz!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Yeah, I don't think a non-verbal input method will ever be completely replaced. It's pretty absurd for three reasons...
1. Your voice would be gone after an 8 hr shift of data entry.
2. Can you imagine what an office would be like if everyone was SAYING what they wanted to type? It'd be a madhouse.
3. Confidentiality - I think this is pretty obvious, and others above me have touched on this as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 28
So i'm gonna say, Big booty, youtube, now....

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait smile.gif
Gr33n Machine?
post #13 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 69
I've got to disagree with Gates. If anything I think society is getting to a point where we no longer like to speak. Text messaging is huge, I know I send more texts than I do make actual calls. If anything I think keyboards should replace speech!! We can all just walk around typing to one another

Seriously, I think the average person prefers typing to speaking. Keyboards aren't going anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 go_quote.gif
Were you under the impression that BFG only made video cards? BFG did not go out of business and cannot stop honoring RMAs on video cards. You should read up a little more so you're not so uninformed. BFG is alive and well, but is getting out of the video card business due to low margins.
Ironic, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 120
Speech recognition is for lazy people. If you're handicapped, that's something else. But replacing keyboards? Uh, no.

Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #15 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 AM
They call me Latty.

Liked: 393
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a keyboard any day. A good window manager (read: something tiling) with a number of keyboard shortcuts and you barely need a mouse anymore. Far faster than anything else, including speech recognition.

Lattyware | Main PC: Shinobu | Gaming: Nodoka | Fileserver: Index | HTPC: Hanako
Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge. | Using LVM
Scratched Disc? | Guide To LAN Parties | Writing a GUI application in Python/Glade
Etching an image into your case. | Wireless Access Points: Easy wireless networking.
A Member Of The OCN Anime/Manga Club
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." --Evelyn Beatrice Hall
post #16 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a keyboard any day. A good window manager (read: something tiling) with a number of keyboard shortcuts and you barely need a mouse anymore. Far faster than anything else, including speech recognition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Yeah, I don't think a non-verbal input method will ever be completely replaced. It's pretty absurd for three reasons...
1. Your voice would be gone after an 8 hr shift of data entry.
2. Can you imagine what an office would be like if everyone was SAYING what they wanted to type? It'd be a madhouse.
3. Confidentiality - I think this is pretty obvious, and others above me have touched on this as well.
In addition to this, I still hate touch screens. Unless you wash your hands with rubbing alcohol, the screen always gets muddied up with grease.

As for speech, it might be nice for home automation and such, but I'd find it extremely agitating to talk all day, and slow/"clear" at that.

<3 my old IBM clicky keyboard

post #17 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 49
I can only imagine playing a fps. Run forward, stop, rotate 62 degrees right, fire at npc, use gravity gun to pick can, fire at citizen, turn left 37 degrees, run forward. No thank you...

post #18 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 43
I would prefer a keyboard, even if speech recognition would be faster.

post #19 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 04:30 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 57
i just recently went to a Gates speech at the University of Waterloo in Canada (only stop in Canada) That was on Thursday. (yesterday) He talked a lot about natural user interface (basically touch and sound) being used a lot in office and home. Not as a PC for all uses like games and stuff, but more for file organizing (like the pictures on the Microsoft surface and such) and a lot with businesses (Having conferences and being able to pull up windows and what not through touch). Gates believes in this technology a lot and said he is willing to put as much time as it takes into it (he said within 10 years but also said that he would try for longer if needed). Also he thinks in the next 10 years entire walls will be LCD screens because they will be incredibly cheap. Which is completely feesable. Look at how fast the prices of LCD screens have come down over the last few years? lol sorry I kinda went off topic, but another off topic point is if anyone has ever seen Gates give a speech, he is quite a funny guy. Also a very good public speaker. Didn't seem to me like the evil man that runs the evil company that lots of people think of him to be.
yawnbox likes this.

4450mhz OC proof.gif

post #20 of 31 Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 13
Windows 7 is supposed to be making a big bet in touch, and im guessing speech as well. Vista has a rather nifty speech to text feature, i actually used it to write a page for an essay i was making and apart from a few mistakes i had to correct now and then it worked fine. I agree the keyboard will see a "diminished" role - but it will never disappear. Ever.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page