[BetaNews] Sony releasing two new Blu-Ray players - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 13 Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well people who don't play games really aren't going to buy a PS3. I mean it's sold as a game console and people aren't going to add a game console to their high end home theatre. For some people, getting a PS3 does make sense, but I can tell you that people who really love their home theatres, they are going to get a dedicated blu-ray player. And the fact that the PS3 can't do internal audio decoding is a turn off for some people (for some reason, I don't really understand it, but some people want internal decoding).

Saying that, I bought a dedicated blu-ray player for probably more than I could have got a PS3 for. When it comes to home theatre equipment, I just like to know that each piece was designed specifically for a task to be the best at doing that task. I know the PS3 probably does a nice job, but it's probably more of a mental peace of mind thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike View Post
The PS3 can't do DTS-HD/Master Audio, but everything else up to that it can. I'm not sure if a firmware would fix allow it to or not, but I don't think it will.
Damn. I was actually going to get a PS3 here shortly for the Blu-Ray capabilities.

Does the PS3 allow components like an A/V receiver to do the decoding?

post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 PM

Liked: 39
Well as long as the PS3 can output the bitstream audio, then that's what you want. That will just pass along the audio untouched to the receiver and the receiver will do the decoding. I don't think there are any blu-ray players out at the moment that can do the internal decoding, there might be 1 or 2. More are coming for sure, I do know that. Panasonic has one coming in like April or something.

I'd rather have the receiver do the decoding though.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page