post #41 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
I remember when a 9600 was an ATI part...4 pixel shaders...ddr memory...$200 played HL2 better than any nVidia FX
I had that card, the 9600xt, loved it had to retire it do to lack of shader model 3.0 support. It now shamefully sits in the basement computer, so bottlenecked we are no longer on speaking terms

They can, unless their processors are designed by ninjas, who only CHOOSE to obey the laws of physics when they want to. Ask a ninja, it's true. -voice
Complaining about SLi and 3DMark scores is about as useless here as complaining about the towing capacity of a Ferrari Enzo. -MNiceGuy
Bring her flowers, take her out to a fancy dinner, and then pop the question, "Will you buy me a video card?" -RussianGrimmReaper
I realize that buckets of people don't like steam...they view it as communism in the sense that it works well in theory but not reality... -x7337H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Luck++

Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post
2560x1600 8800GTX > 9600GT SLI

That's all that matters to me.
What size is your monitor?
post #43 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
I know it has a different core. Read my post again, there was a question that you seemed to have missed:
what? your question makes very little sense to me. Do I think a 9600gt is better then a 8800GTS G92? Ah No, but again we arent talking about a 8800GTS, are you reading my posts?

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 PM
M$ Fanboy

Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
What size is your monitor?
I have a 30" Samsung 305T with a native and maximum resolutions of 2560x1600.
post #45 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
BAUSS

Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
what? your question makes very little sense to me. Do I think a 9600gt is better then a 8800GTS G92? Ah No, but again we arent talking about a 8800GTS, are you reading my posts?
I read your post, but you should read mine. I'm saying that I don't see how an even better card than the 9600GT is comparable to the 8800GTX. Price/FPS, yes. Price/performance, no. For the last time, FPS does not equal to performance, it's only a fraction of it. I don't care if you can get 24FPS, if it's not stable at that then it's pointless. The only effective way to compare FPS is to compare the minimum FPS, then see if you get any stutters.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #46 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Luck++

Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post
I have a 30" Samsung 305T with a native and maximum resolutions of 2560x1600.
No wonder you have dual 3870x2, only thing that could hold such a beast of a monitor at bay.
post #47 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
I read your post, but you should read mine. I'm saying that I don't see how an even better card than the 9600GT is comparable to the 8800GTX. Price/FPS, yes. Price/performance, no. For the last time, FPS does not equal to performance, it's only a fraction of it. I don't care if you can get 24FPS, if it's not stable at that then it's pointless. The only effective way to compare FPS is to compare the minimum FPS, then see if you get any stutters.
but we are talking about SLI GTs not a single one, I only referenced one to state one card gives good performance in Crisis, and by adding too, based on my results with a single one, SLI would beat one GTX.

I must be honest with myself and agree with you, that one 9600GT did have much lower minimum framerates (that is important to me in gaming also) versus my GTX, but I cant comment on what the minimum framerates would be with SLI 9600gts.

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #48 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM
BAUSS

Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
but we are talking about SLI GTs not a single one, I only referenced one to state one card gives good performance in Crisis, and by adding too, based on my results with a single one, SLI would beat one GTX.

I must be honest with myself and agree with you, that one 9600GT did have much lower minimum framerates (that is important to me in gaming also) versus my GTX, but I cant comment on what the minimum framerates would be with SLI 9600gts.
The article itself shows that they're similar. But then here's the thing: We all know a single 9600GT consumes much less power and produces much less heat than the 8800GTX, but when you put 2 together, you have to have a SLI motherboard and power consumption and heat would double, summing up to higher than that of the 8800GTX. In this article they used a 680i board, but if you were to put a 8800GTX in a P35 board you would get better performance. Fact is, nVidia chipsets on Intel are only good if you're determined to run SLI, but Intel chipsets are miles better for single card. Then you get dual monitor capability with a single card instead of switching SLI on and off like I do now.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #49 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Tablet Guru

Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
What about 1680x1050.

edit: why do i ask. I know the answer. GTX does outperform the GT at that res. w/AA
Really thats kind of funny as I've been running 1680x1050 for over a year with both sets of cards...

post #50 of 57 Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolegolas View Post
thats not the point.
Whats the point?

TWO mid range cards outperform a hi end card from last gen. Wow way to go Nvidia.

LMAO, they call this progress??? This card is a joke, and is no closer to playing crysis than anything last gen. Nvidia is in a slump. At least ATI is being smart and developed a new GPU for their next set of cards.

Hopefully Larabee from intel will FORCE some competition into this stagnant market.

Take the $ youd spend on 2 9600GT's and buy ONE strong card. Its just more logical. The u have the option of adding a second one someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8maniac go_quote.gif
You wouldn't believe how many small computer stores won't carry AMD products because of their own personal opinions. I can't tell you how many times I have been told by a so called computer technician that AMD CPUs are crap and will burn your house down!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page