[Xbit] AMD Envisions Microprocessors with More than Eight Cores - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM
2.4ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetos316 View Post
It's interesting because it's unclear who first came out with the modular approach. AMD talked about moving to a modular approach in this presentation and now here comes Intel first on the scene with a modular core. AMD has also talked about putting a GPU with the CPU and it also looks like Intel might actually be first on th scene with a GPU on CPU on the same core - Nehalem.
The thing about AMD is that they talk a lot about what they want to do and than when they finally get around to doing it, it is crap. Intel tends to get the most out of these ideas and their technology. Its the same thing when comparing Nvidia to ATI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Kleptocratic Debt Serf

Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice View Post
Atom is meant for mobile devices such as phones and pdas not desktop computers or servers. I can see how you might confuse the two though.
Ah yes, I see you know your history... After all Core 2's uARCH comes directly from it's predecessor, NutBurst! Oh wait.

-Back to the topic-

I hope this isn't more posturing by AMD. I'm tired of all the talk I want action, PURE ACTION.
post #13 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
IT Nut

Liked: 676
Quote:
Atom is meant for mobile devices such as phones and pdas not desktop computers or servers. I can see how you might confuse the two though.

Back on topic though... This sounds pretty good for AMD, i hope they see it through.
Read the article, look at the pretty slide.

Recognize the importance of the Atom, low power is one of the greatest things holding back many core processors.

AMD has no 45nm, is having is sues with 65nm, much less low powered 45nm.

AMD is "Envisioning" more than 8 cores, Intel is getting close to being able to deliver 8 core (ES of course, no releases). More cores is what is going to start mattering, especially on servers and with virtualization. This article confirms that AMD is really going to have some issues on the server front, especially if Intel releases cheap and competitive chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetos316 View Post
It's interesting because it's unclear who first came out with the modular approach. AMD talked about moving to a modular approach in this presentation and now here comes Intel first on the scene with a modular core. AMD has also talked about putting a GPU with the CPU and it also looks like Intel might actually be first on th scene with a GPU on CPU on the same core - Nehalem.
Things like this take years.

Look at the Macbook Air and the Lenovo x300, the x300 came out a little later and took similar specs. Was it a copy? No, it just takes years to come out. A lot of these ideas just float around with companies talking about it. Intel had the money, technology, and capabilities to do something, AMD either cannot or decided not to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM
939 Fanboi

Liked: 253
gosh another freaken socket...
WHAT THE HELL!

stick with a socket for once! How long as intel used 775?!?
I never even had time to get an am2, sheesh.

But kudos to AMD if they can pull this off. Can't wait to see 8 cores tear apart 3dmark vantage, or whatever the next one is called.

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

post #15 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guswut View Post
Just because something is designed to do X doesn't mean it won't do Y and Z just as well, too. It can't be that complicated to understand, can it?
It's designed for a completely different market, is that too complicated for you to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
Ah yes, I see you know your history... After all Core 2's uARCH comes directly from it's predecessor, NutBurst! Oh wait.
Nope it was based on Pentium M, which was based on the Pentium 3 architechture. But wait a sec did they have Pentium M chips in PDAs?

post #16 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Kleptocratic Debt Serf

Liked: 564
Quote:
It's designed for a completely different market, is that too complicated for you to understand?

Nope it was based on Pentium M, which was based on the Pentium 3 architechture. But wait a sec did they have Pentium M chips in PDAs?
The Pentium 3 was an actual processor... The uARCH was called P6 and it's first iteration was known as the pentium pro, I usually don't care about facts. But you should have realized by now that "designed for a completely different market" has absolutely no bearing on whether it will find it's way to the desktop market or the dumpster.

post #17 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 48
as long as it comes with 12+ mb cache i'll be glad to buy one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemondrips go_quote.gif
There should be a intelligence requirement to sign up for ocn.
post #18 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Multi-Quote King

Liked: 845
They can envision all they like. I want to see some products.

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
post #19 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 98
Mmm, this way AMD can phail x8. Win

/fanboyism

If you see a Clinic running around in your game, chances are it's me! Say hello!
post #20 of 39 Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
News Fiend

Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Things like this take years.

Look at the Macbook Air and the Lenovo x300, the x300 came out a little later and took similar specs. Was it a copy? No, it just takes years to come out. A lot of these ideas just float around with companies talking about it. Intel had the money, technology, and capabilities to do something, AMD either cannot or decided not to.
I'm well aware that things take years to go from novel idea to actual product, but AMD should maybe get a bit closer to actual product before blabbing their intentions to everyone. I'm not saying that Intel copied AMD's plans, and for all we know, Intel might have had these plans long before AMD, but it just looks very bad for the company to annouce plans for the next great product, only to have your competitor bring it to market first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke go_quote.gif
Where is the Y and Z version... got to add those to fill in the alphabet... whats a few more versions!
Actually, if I was a MB maker, I'd be getting :swearing: and then doh.gif and eek.gif and laugher.gif @ that pile of :turd: concept of marketing.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page