post #61 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
★★★★what the pho★★★★

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMac View Post
100% of all dell and gateway PC's are Intel only. HP at least offers AMD processors but like as it has been said before Non computer savvy people have no idea what or who AMD is and would be like "Oh I know what Intel is, I see commercials all the time on TV for them, They must be good." And that's how a decision is made for most people. So having that said, How many mainstream PC do Dell and gateway sell yearly that are all Intel? Multiplied by 3 years? That's a big chunk of change and none of that was available for AMD because of "pressure" by Intel. You'd have to be as dirty as those executives if you didn't believe this was wrong.
Both Gateway and Dell offer many notebooks with AMD Turion (and Turion XP) CPU's. But primarily the desktop market is almost all Intel. Seems to be mobile processing is the only place AMD has any sort of competitive area, likely due to the super-power-efficient mobile CPU's they put out (which are more-or-less on par with the intel-based mobile CPU's, though admittedly the intels are better performers).

Originally Posted by arbalest go_quote.gif
...not needed unless you actually need it for something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Liked: 18
Here's what will happen. Intel will hand over a rediculous amount of money. AMD will be saved and Intel will be fine. The end.

I say, Go get em!

Been here since 2007. I love OCN
The OCN Loud Rig Club
post #63 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
And back to the coke v. pepsi thing, there's a difference between Pepsi buying Taco Bell and Pepsi buying off Taco Bell.
Huh?

My point wasn't about their purchase of Taco Bell... it was moreso about Burger King's reaction to Pepsi intruding in their market segment and their subsequent response by changing their soft drink partner due to this "incursion". BK made a decision as to who or what they would carry... thus they had a choice all along.

You are mixing concepts here.

sniper.gifCYBORG R.A.T. PACK

DarkFury's Pimptopia - Don't Hate the Playa, Hate the Game!

Home of the Original OG Pimp (accept NO imitations)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
I agree, but the whole basis of the case is that it was a choice that was made due to illegally distributed influences. (ie: money) While Dell etc. have every right to choose the product they support, it is a different case entirely when they are being paid by one company to inhibit the other. Its not like Dell would come out and say "We support intel because they are a better company." they will support whoever makes them the most money. That can be via legitimate means or fraudulantly, as seems to be the case. In case you hadn't noticed, it is Intel that is being sued, not Dell etc.

The whole argument is whether Intel used legit practices when soliciting their products to OEM. NOT that the OEM choose one over the other, but the motives for doing so. There are a million reasons why any company chooses to support one product over the other, but it always boils down to money. The CEO's of said companies may very well be happy collecting directly without having to wait for sales to go up and collect profits.

Also, I like the taste as well, but be honest, the general public usually does what it is told.
Ummm.. didn't Blu-Ray just do this exact same thing to HD-DVD? They bought off the distribution network and forced the other to basically not exist...

Are they being sued for that right now? If so.. ok, but I haven't seen word that they are being sued for buying the rights to have their format pushed forward instead of the other.

In other words, this is not an uncommon thing in business and while you may cry foul, legally it must be acceptable because it does happen and nothing changes that it seems. /shrug

I just don't know if they really have a case here... maybe they do, maybe they don't. We all shall see.

post #65 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFury View Post
Ummm.. didn't Blu-Ray just do this exact same thing to HD-DVD? They bought off the distribution network and forced the other to basically not exist...

Are they being sued for that right now?
No, it's because BluRay is superior to HD-Dvd and had more production studio support.

Been here since 2007. I love OCN
The OCN Loud Rig Club
post #66 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMac View Post
100% of all dell and gateway PC's are Intel only. HP at least offers AMD processors but like as it has been said before Non computer savvy people have no idea what or who AMD is and would be like "Oh I know what Intel is, I see commercials all the time on TV for them, They must be good."

Say wha....

Umm... look here:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598054.php

Those look like AMD computers to me. BTW.. are you speaking in a "historical" timeframe here? /shrug

post #67 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedrifter View Post
No, it's because BluRay is superior to HD-Dvd and had more production studio support.
Totally not the point here... please stick to the topic.

It was just a reference for parallel to the point. Business do in fact buy the support of distributors to force the competion out.

We don't want to get into a Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD debate here... plenty of other threads for that.

post #68 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
News Fiend

Liked: 261
Quote:
Say wha....

Umm... look here:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598054.php

Those look like AMD computers to me. BTW.. are you speaking in a "historical" timeframe here? /shrug
How in the hell do you not get the concept that this lawsuit was filed in 2005 for what Intel did PRE-2005

Not directed to DarkFury but to everyone who decides to post in this thread.
STop talking about how intel performs better because pre-2005, it didn't. Read the story before commenting.

post #69 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
News Fiend

Liked: 261
Quote:

Are they being sued for that right now? If so.. ok, but I haven't seen word that they are being sued for buying the rights to have their format pushed forward instead of the other.

In other words, this is not an uncommon thing in business and while you may cry foul, legally it must be acceptable because it does happen and nothing changes that it seems. /shrug

I just don't know if they really have a case here... maybe they do, maybe they don't. We all shall see.
You're talking about adopting new technology vs. 2 competitors competing in an existing market field.

My guess? There's a difference between paying a company to go exclusive with you and strongarming a company to go exclusive with you. Even worse, its different when you're strongarming a company NOT to carry another competitor.

post #70 of 81 Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
How in the hell do you not get the concept that this lawsuit was filed in 2005 for what Intel did PRE-2005

STop talking about how intel performs better because pre-2005, it didn't. Read the story before commenting.
WHO THE HELL SAID ANYTHING ABOUT INTEL PERFORMING BETTER...???

My post directly responded to a statement by that individual poster... please realize the difference.

Learn to read what you are quoting before you accuse... I never mentioned ANYTHING about Intel performance being better than AMD... that wasn't the point of any of my posts.

You fanboy defensiveness has a strong odor... :turd:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page