post #31 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Of course their power consumption will reduce with newer models - especially now that this has been exposed - but what does that have to do with SSD vendors advertising improved efficiency and increased batterly life when the opposite is the case? It's false advertising, plain and simple.
not quite.

misleading sure but false not really.
if lets say I make a cpu that at idle only used .0001 watt but under full load goes up to 300watts usage. I could still advertise it as a means to save power compared to other cpu's out on the market. saves battery life, reduced heat output, lower noise blah blah blah.
it's not a lie as what other cpu do you know of that uses .0001 watt of electricity? we just don't go into it's performance under load. And with that it seems to be perfectly legal as it isn't a lie isn't false just only giving best case situations.

think about it do you want to advertise your flaws and how the competition is better or do you want to advertise yourself in the best possible light even if it isn't the most honest to average use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7speed View Post
not quite.

misleading sure but false not really.
if lets say I make a cpu that at idle only used .0001 watt but under full load goes up to 300watts usage. I could still advertise it as a means to save power compared to other cpu's out on the market. saves battery life, reduced heat output, lower noise blah blah blah.
it's not a lie as what other cpu do you know of that uses .0001 watt of electricity? we just don't go into it's performance under load. And with that it seems to be perfectly legal as it isn't a lie isn't false just only giving best case situations.

think about it do you want to advertise your flaws and how the competition is better or do you want to advertise yourself in the best possible light even if it isn't the most honest to average use.
It is a false statement. The way it is advertised, it should hold true for all things. It clearly does not. It's just like MP3 players, where manufacturers claim it holds so many songs, but they then specify the circumstances under which that advertisement is true. It is a false statment on the part of SSD manufacturers, plain and simple.

post #33 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM
2.4ghz

Liked: 73
To me, SSD drives have the following benefits
+ High read speeds
+ Shockproof ability
+ Quietness
+ No spin up time

And drawbacks:
- High price per megabyte
- Unknown reliability
- Small capacities
- Small bang for the bucks you pay (for now)

As a desktop user, I would not see much benefits. As a laptop user, maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Luck++

Liked: 417
Seems like new technology is never very revolutionary when it first starts out.
post #35 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
It is a false statement. The way it is advertised, it should hold true for all things. It clearly does not. It's just like MP3 players, where manufacturers claim it holds so many songs, but they then specify the circumstances under which that advertisement is true. It is a false statment on the part of SSD manufacturers, plain and simple.
not trying to be a jerk here but can you point me to where a manufac made the claims that it is more efficient and then under what situations they hold true to using less power?

if all they did was claim that they use less power but don't specify that it is only at idle then it isn't really false. it just isn't giving the whole story. not saying that I agree with it and that method of advertising but many companies do this. you seem to make it sound though that companies are saying more efficient then hard drives and then specifying when, how and where they are more efficient.

post #36 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
not trying to be a jerk here but can you point me to where a manufac made the claims that it is more efficient and then under what situations they hold true to using less power?

if all they did was claim that they use less power but don't specify that it is only at idle then it isn't really false. it just isn't giving the whole story. not saying that I agree with it and that method of advertising but many companies do this. you seem to make it sound though that companies are saying more efficient then hard drives and then specifying when, how and where they are more efficient.
The article answers the second part of your question. The first part is a general consensus. Look up any manufacturer. It's not like it's an obscure ad...

post #37 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
The article answers the second part of your question. The first part is a general consensus. Look up any manufacturer. It's not like it's an obscure ad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
Ever have your notebook battery die during a presentation? With no moving parts, SSDs require less power, improving battery operating time in notebook PCs and portable electronic devices.
does say more efficient yes. doesn't say how they came up with those results though. so with that it isn't quite lying as long as some point they are more efficient. and looking at that graph from TH while they might use more power at idle they still use less at load and so there can come the efficiency thing and how they can make that claim.

this is about the most I see from any manufac is vauge answers that sound more like full fledged all details answers.

here is a good one. you like audio? general standard is rating the frequency responce +/-3db. so lets atke company a they rate their product at 35hz-20khz. a cheap company though in efforts to make their specs sound better might fudge a little on their specs. they rate their product at 20hz-25khz. when you listen to them though you find out though that it seems above 16khz and below 50hz you notice drop off.
does this mean the second company lied and doesn't have a wider frequency range then company a? no not at all. they just mislead you they still didn't lie. instead what they are doing is rating it at +/-9db and might not be telling you this or maybe they even did just put it in some burried obscure place you didn't notice it.

as I said I don't agree with it, don't care much for it and sadly the company I work for is an outsource for another company that advertises like that so I deal with it all the time. But this is how our modern corperations work. mislead your customer as best as you can with that toe just hanging right over that line.pmpo rated

btw I have some speakers I can sell you. they are 800watt 3" drivers with a 1600 watt 6.5" subwoofer. you up for them?

post #38 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
does say more efficient yes. doesn't say how they came up with those results though. so with that it isn't quite lying as long as some point they are more efficient. and looking at that graph from TH while they might use more power at idle they still use less at load and so there can come the efficiency thing and how they can make that claim.

this is about the most I see from any manufac is vauge answers that sound more like full fledged all details answers.

here is a good one. you like audio? general standard is rating the frequency responce +/-3db. so lets atke company a they rate their product at 35hz-20khz. a cheap company though in efforts to make their specs sound better might fudge a little on their specs. they rate their product at 20hz-25khz. when you listen to them though you find out though that it seems above 16khz and below 50hz you notice drop off.
does this mean the second company lied and doesn't have a wider frequency range then company a? no not at all. they just mislead you they still didn't lie. instead what they are doing is rating it at +/-9db and might not be telling you this or maybe they even did just put it in some burried obscure place you didn't notice it.

as I said I don't agree with it, don't care much for it and sadly the company I work for is an outsource for another company that advertises like that so I deal with it all the time. But this is how our modern corperations work. mislead your customer as best as you can with that toe just hanging right over that line.
Alright, so by your flawed logic, I can call the sky blue during a pitch black night and I wouldn't be lying. I mean, it's blue during the day, and I techinically didn't specify that I meant right at this very moment...

And yes, the audio company would have been lying. Why you are even arguing semantics is beyond me, because it doesn't matter. What is being advertised isn't the entire truth, and that's the bottom line.

post #39 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Subaru fanboy

Liked: 693
Quote:
Alright, so by your flawed logic, I can call the sky blue during a pitch black night and I wouldn't be lying. I mean, it's blue during the day, and I techinically didn't specify that I meant right at this very moment...
Sounds fair to me

Certs:
A+
ACMT
Dell ASP; Desktop, Laptop, PowerConnect, PowerEdge, PowerVault

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #40 of 44 Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
it's not quite my logic. look around at the advertising in this world. they don't generally get it trouble for it by our own government.
ever hear the phrase "if it sounds too good..." yet how many of those companies are still doing biz as normal? that's not my call to say that this stuff should be allowed and so someone elses logic came into play there.

Quote:
And yes, the audio company would have been lying. Why you are even arguing semantics is beyond me, because it doesn't matter.
how so? if they are able to hit those numbers quoted at +/-9 then that's not lying. just because is what is commonly used doesn't mean that everyone has to use it and be bound by it.

Quote:
What is being advertised isn't the entire truth, and that's the bottom line.
I fully agree with you there and I couldn't do it.
but then again that is why they have these marketing firms. to find out how best to give the information to where it sounds as good as possible and figure out what info they can cut and twist to make it sound good without quite being a lie just an omission or a twist but yet still fit in the legal realm.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page