post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3468
Quote:
Conclusion

Comparing the two machines proves tough. They both offer very similar configurations and near identical parts. While the Dell offers factory overclocking and overclocked RAM, HP offers complete liquid cooling (CPU and GPU) while Dell only does the CPU. Dell does offer a faster and more energy efficient processor with the overclocked Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770, Intel's fastest processor. Dell also wins in terms of price. A Dell XPS 730H2C with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 3.2GHz factory overclocked to 3.8GHz, 4GB 1600MHz RAM, dual Nvidia 9800GX2 1024MB, and 3TB of storage (2TB RAID-0 plus 1TB additional HDD) costs a mere $6,894. While a similar HP Blackbird 002 LC with an Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.0GHz QX9650, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, dual Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB, and 3TB of storage (two 1.5TB RAID-0) for $6,784. The HP is cheaper but you get a much faster machine with the Dell.

Dell and HP both have a quite a bit to offer when it comes to gaming. Dell definitely has it with the price and speed while HP offers complete liquid cooling for those who want silence while they play their game or watch a blue-ray movie (both Dell and HP offer blue-ray but since it's useless for gaming I didn't talk about it). In my opinion, Dell wins this battle. HP offers some great stuff what with complete liquid cooling, a cool looking case, and monstrous storage. For those looking to save money and the fastest machine they can buy, Dell definitely wins. I am aware, though, that HP is going to be offering the new Nvidia GTX 280. At the moment, Dell wins in terms of pricing and overall stock speed as well as offering many lower-end machines for those on a budget.

Yes, HP offers GPU cooling. I know that, but it's an extra $1500 and wont make the machine much faster. I also am aware that you can overclock the HP yourself, but if the factory can do it, let them, it's less work for you.

Well there you have it. Dell and HP's complete gaming options. I hope this helps those looking for a new pre-built gaming rig.

Source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 AM
Forum Manager

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
I do sometimes think that Dell and HP and such other companies are much better suited staying focused towards the business and home use end of things. I think TRUE gaming and overclocking machines are something that should really be custom built. This is because you know for SURE what components are going into it Quality wise and its specifically built to your needs.

It might just be me but I think Custom builds by either yourself or a company such as mine is the way to go when it comes to gaming or specific needs.

Welcome to Overclock
grouphug.gif Fold for the Cause, Fold for the People grouphug.gif

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Liked: 3468
Same here. With 4/5 of customer base is business and home, I don't know why they decide to get in the gaming market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 AM
IT Nut

Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
I do sometimes think that Dell and HP and such other companies are much better suited staying focused towards the business and home use end of things. I think TRUE gaming and overclocking machines are something that should really be custom built. This is because you know for SURE what components are going into it Quality wise and its specifically built to your needs.

It might just be me but I think Custom builds by either yourself or a company such as mine is the way to go when it comes to gaming or specific needs.
Exactly.

I thought it seemed like a good review.

Not like the Maximum PC ones where they can't even realize that a machine is unstable, and when running apps it frequently crash's.

I'd say it is a lot like small time racing. Some people buy really nice cars and try and make them a little better; while others will take an oldish car and really push it and tweak it to make it shine.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 AM
I am Iron Man

Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post

True, but the profit margins on these high ends have to be ridiculous, they probably make more money when they sell one of these than in 10 crappy home Dimension desktops.

And watercooling without OC'ing? seriously?

Most who don't understand don't care and most who do understand also don't care.
The only people with a problem are the people who don't understand but still care, but then that's the problem with most topics these days.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Forum Manager

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
True, but the profit margins on these high ends have to be ridiculous, they probably make more money when they sell one of these than in 10 crappy home Dimension desktops.

And watercooling without OC'ing? seriously?
Oh thats a dead certain that they make a good profit on these machines. However Watercooling is overkill on a non OC product lol.

Welcome to Overclock
grouphug.gif Fold for the Cause, Fold for the People grouphug.gif

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #7 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
Same here. With 4/5 of customer base is business and home, I don't know why they decide to get in the gaming market.
I think it's mostly for show. Sure, they'll take what money they can make on it, but I think it's mainly to get their name in as many arenas as possible. I look at it like Grand Prix racing. A company doesn't enter Grand Prix to make money, they do it for advertising. Also, if they manage to dominate, people will think, "Well if they can make a dominant race car (gaming rig), they must build a quality consumer model (business/home machine)."

Manufacturing Consent is the Name of the Game
post #8 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwarelabs
Yes, HP offers GPU cooling. I know that, but it's an extra $1500
LOL WUT?!

devil's advocate (dvlz)
n.
1. One who argues against a cause or position, not as a committed opponent but simply for the sake of argument or to determine the validity of the cause or position.
2. Roman Catholic Church An official appointed to present arguments against a proposed canonization or beatification.
3. Keanu.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page