[TPU]Intel to Release Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Six-Core Processor in Q4 2010 - Page 13 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 267 Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Don't forget the GPU niche where manufacturers built custom cards with custom components and price them rather high. The Asus ARES comes into mind.
Hmm, that's a niche of a niche though, that's an extremely limited amount of cards. (High end GPUs is, although rather large, also somewhat a niche)

It surely isn't the standard anyways.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 267 Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Programmer

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdek View Post
So what you're saying is that the people who can afford this tend to be idiots? Yes that makes perfect sense.
So people who have 1000$ of disposable income are idiots? Makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopykins go_quote.gif
Programmers write programs, who writes apps?
post #123 of 267 Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAND0M1ZER View Post
So people who have 1000$ of disposable income are idiots?
No, but people who can't find something better to do with 1,000 dollars are a bit questionable.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 267 Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
No, but people who can't find something better to do with 1,000 dollars are a bit questionable.
"Something better" is subjective...

1090T @ 4 GHz proof.gif

Migration_Sherpa 

post #125 of 267 Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
goad ting i r dislekxic

Liked: 845
still prolly cheaper than the other 32nm 6 core intel sells

Total Posts: 666 (6.66 posts per day) Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 666.
Project:Fishy updated: 5/10/09
washington state overclockers
E6600@4.005ghz Q6600@4.005ghz Click Me
My loop
XSPC DELTA V3-MCP350-EK DDC TOP-MCR320
RX-7 Owner-status: getting a sbc400/th350
post #126 of 267 Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
Hmm, that's a niche of a niche though, that's an extremely limited amount of cards. (High end GPUs is, although rather large, also somewhat a niche)

It surely isn't the standard anyways.

I agree with you and I know that example was a bit far fetched. What I wanted to point out is the following :

1. Rich people will always buy expensive stuff. Even if they are pointless. Look at the Vertu phones. Look at the Bang&Olufsen phones. (yay I can control my TV and window shades!!! yay, I am so spending 1200 euros on a cordless phone for those options and the name. You can't use it for something else but did I say yay?)
  2. The EE CPUS are in a market of their own and I fail to see why we, the average Joe are arguing about it. It is out of our budget yet we try to justify to someone who can afford that they shouldn't because it is too expensive. Who are we to judge someone who has the cash to buy something like this? Who are we to diss INTEL for serving this niche clientele?
  3. Believe it or not, AMD would do the same thing. If Bulldozer will bring back the good old days and INTEL will end up Conroed by AMD, the black edition bulldozers will , surely and most definitely, have a spicy price tag. You can forget about the good price/performance ratio you have today. They only do that today because they do not have enough market power to become price setters.

AUDIO: DENON D-2000 -MARK LAWTON & FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568& REGA PLANAR 3 / FOCAL UTOPIA HEADPHONES NEXT
HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #127 of 267 Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 AM

Liked: 240
id rather buy a quad and a wc loop than splurge for this.

Current Audio: Gustard U12 > Gustard X12 > Gustard H10 / Matrix M-Stage / Schiit Lyr (Cyro'd Gold Lions) / Presonus Eris E4.5 Monitors
|| HE-400i w/ AlphaPads || Oppo PM-3 || Fostex TH-X00 || AKG K701 || HD 650 ||
Current Mouse/Keyboard => cm novatouch w/ pbt caps || nixeus revel || qck heavy

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #128 of 267 Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
It's hard to compare computer hardware with other businesses.

I think a better comparison would be computer hardware with other computer hardware.

So, assuming it's true that having the best thing out there allows / justifies to raise the price to an exotic 500% above normal that would mean ... a 5970 would cost ~$2500, give or take, with a 480 as close second and best single GPU card at ~$2000.

In other words, no, I disagree, that IMO is just Intel.

Just my
You're conveniently neglecting firegl / quaddro's. If you don't fail to include these cards, then yes, the prices are in the range you suggest, if not more (some of them are occasionally upwards of $4000).

So no, it's not just intel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Not everyone's computers are built to be 'entertainment' machines. When it's being used in a "to make money" context, as long as it can pay itself off in a reasonable amount of time, anything that gives you an edge is justifiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru go_quote.gif
Whats the problem? Why are certain body places considered bad, like gentles. Is you do with them? I just don't get it, I see nothing offending about a rear end, beasts or gentles.
post #129 of 267 Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 AM

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaspoon View Post
You're conveniently neglecting firegl / quaddro's. If you don't fail to include these cards, then yes, the prices are in the range you suggest, if not more (some of them are occasionally upwards of $4000).

So no, it's not just intel.
This CPU we're talking about is for the (non-business) consumers, not for businesses like those graphic cards.

A better comparison would be quadro/firegl with server CPUs. (x5680 for instance, $1600 I think ?) In that case, you're right, the price seems to be in the higher areas for both CPUs and graphic cards.

But, as you can see, I left them out because, apples with apples...

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #130 of 267 Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 112
Fair enough. We can compare imaginary numbers and percentages all day. But the bottom line, is "ripoff" or "justifiable" is subjective. It all depends on the context in which the product is going to be used. What may be considered a ripoff for me or you may be easily justified by someone else, which was pretty much the point in my first response.

Every time there's one of these threads it turns into a witch hunt attitude about "wow, only retarded people buy this". The fact of the matter is the people saying that are simply too shortsighted to understand that there are usage circumstances (even for enthusiasts/non-business) in which the cost is incidental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru go_quote.gif
Whats the problem? Why are certain body places considered bad, like gentles. Is you do with them? I just don't get it, I see nothing offending about a rear end, beasts or gentles.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page