getting a tv for pc gaming - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I want a new tv for pc gaming. My current one is a 6yr old lcd and only does 50fps.
Im in the uk and tvs are all 50hz rather than American 60hz. Its my understanding that all tvs will display 60hz anyway (apart from my current tv for some reason)
Im also unsure about 100hz tvs. Ive read someplaces that they are 50hz and double it up creating ghosting but im not certain.
I just want a good tv that will give me 60fps or better if possible with good picture quality with my pc.
I have an odd setup but it works well for me, the problem is i need 32" and they dont make monitors that big.
Ive been looking at the Samsung UE32F5000, what do you think? Its 100hz so i need to figure out what effect this will have.

wheee.gifgunner.gif
!YOU JUST KILLED THE SPECIAL NEEDS DONKEY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 10
why not go for a big plasma tv

Gaming is a Passion . . . Overclocking is an Art . . . I'm a Passionate Artist.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 74
Make sure it has at least a 1920x1080 resolution (many cheaper, inferior 32" TVs don't). One thing when choosing a tv for use with a pc is it really should have 4:4:4 chroma support if it's at all possible to find one. It's not discussed much because it doesn't make much of a difference to an ordinary film or tv show, but it makes things like text and PC display much clearer. I certainly wouldn't buy a TV without it after discovering mine had it and enabling it.

The Samsung you linked does support 4:4:4, and is also 1920x1080 and has low input lag. It seems a good choice. Don't worry about the Hz, it doesn't really make much difference. 60hz is fine and nearly all LCD TVs should support at least that.

Older Samsungs required you to be in PC mode to use 4:4:4, which then forces a whole load of "enhancements" that completely destroy the picture quality. I'm not sure if the newer ones do this, but it's worth looking into if you want to squeeze the best picture out of it.

2005 Ford Mondeo, 1990 Talbot Express
Quote Space (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitlian go_quote.gif

javascript = mark of the beast devil.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca go_quote.gif

I just love smearing cupcakes on my face. Getting all the icing all over my lips.

Cuppukake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Strong 
I'm the T to the WI, LIGHT, and ain't no other pony troll it down like me, I'm Twilightlicious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer go_quote.gif

21st century innovation: removing functionality.

MLP:FIM Club

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page