Forum Jump: 

post #101 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Forget the Pioneers, The Fluance SX6 is totally the better speaker. Hands down.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-SX6-Definition-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B00067OS0A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1445381029&sr=8-6&keywords=fluance

In the $130 price range, this takes the crown.

Just like the Elac B6's would probably take the crown in the $300 price range. (And most likely anything under $500)

Once you look past the $500 mark, you are looking at very little gains for a lot of extra cash spent. Especially the $1000+ market. Not to mention how ugly the speakers can get in those price ranges, as they are forced to use weird shapes for better sound quality. Honestly they give 70's speakers a run for the money in terms of how ugly the speaker can be. (unless you actually like that old 70's furniture look)

Plus most people are not looking to spend $1000 on a PC audio setup.

Pretty much all desktop speaker systems are meh, simply because a smaller speaker will always have limitations. And all those PC speakers have crossovers feeding midbass into the subwoofer, as the small drivers on the satellite speakers can't handle it. But if the goal if for smaller speakers with a small footprint, to put one together yourself takes money. More money than most of those cheaper PC speakers. But I would never spend more than $150 on some PC only speakers, after that point you can put one together yourself that is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post

You don't hit diminishing gains until about $5000 my friend. A KEF LS50 sounds easily twice as good as a Q300 at half its price, and the Totem element bookshelves at twice the price of the LS50's sound almost twice as good again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

Just to throw another opinion in the hat here, I would say diminishing returns set on heavily after like $50.

Even a $1000 speaker does not sound twice a good to me as a $50 speaker. Audio is a fools game to sell boutique equipment and brand names with inaudible differences in specs or clearly intentional flaws to create "boutique sound signature" no different than making purposefully ugly clothes to make a fashion trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

Somehow this post make's me believe you never listened to a proper set-up with 1000$ speakers.

I think my Adams would like to have a word with your 50$ speakers.

Yes you are right that after a curtain price point you have to pay alot more for tiny improvements but it isnt as bad as you portrait it to be. (it is like that with interconnect cable's, power conditioners and all that stuff though, but not with speakers IMO)

Quote:

I would like to see a $50 speaker even compare to a $130 speaker.

Honestly

Though really it is what the user defines as twice as good. IMO past $300, you are only getting so much more for your money. Bookshelf speakers will always have limitations in terms of bass, and tower speakers are not something I would use in a PC configuration.

But the difference from a Dayton B652 and a Fluance SX6 is really noticeable when it comes to music. The sound signature is just different, and the tone of some notes are just off on the dayton's at times. they make great cheap speakers for movies and tv, not so much as really great music speakers. They do the job though, sounding better than most speakers in that price range from the past.

A $130 speaker will sound damn good though with a sub and proper alignment. With a proper speaker placement, $130 speakers can sound nearly life like. Twice as good really is nothing more than personal opinion at that point.

I've listened to $1000 speakers before. And they sound damn good even without a sub. But even my Klipsch B-20's would give them a run for the money.

I don't expect my upcoming Elac B6's to be even near what I would consider twice as good.

Speakers can only get so clean, after that you are paying a lot of $$ to get minor adjustments.

Amps, DACs, Cables, and other accessories make a difference in terms of cleaning up the sound. And again, all of those has diminishing returns after a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

The old saying of "never get involved in a land war in Asia" has a lesser known brother: "never think you can convince an audiophile of anything"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post

It's called smooth and clean when you step up.

I have not been on this thread in while. Is this for a computer because I run modified Optimus Pro 77's, a Mirage Omni-S8 sub and an Onkyo 603 receiver on my main computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

I suppose there are many people here on OCM with multi thousand dollar sound systems connected to their computers. This thread sounds like a bunch of people arguing whether McDonald's or Burger King has the best hamburgers, while some of us are eating steak a Gordon's. As has been said, "It all depends on your tastes and budget."
are the Elac B6 better than JBL LSR305 ? they are both about $280 a pair, but i heard only good things about jbl. which would be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 AM
Hall Monitor

Liked: 167
I'm not up to date with the new Harman Kardon speakers. I still have a pair of older JBL speakers though.

What will you be using the speakers for?

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 passive bi-amped(Vr3 Castle Mod)
Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's
Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R

Chimp Challenge Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  1 Billion Folding Points  Foldathon Participant 2014  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #103 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 03:17 AM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 17
I don't care what anyone else says, I love my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I got them for under $100 used (they came what looked like brand new, including in the box and all plastic wrapped), and they sound great and were quite loud when I needed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post

I'm not up to date with the new Harman Kardon speakers. I still have a pair of older JBL speakers though.

What will you be using the speakers for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post

I don't care what anyone else says, I love my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I got them for under $100 used (they came what looked like brand new, including in the box and all plastic wrapped), and they sound great and were quite loud when I needed it.
using it for my desktop , currently using m50w swan hivi
post #105 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post

download everything in 24/96 or better

Quote:

Cables make a difference

This is probably why we disagree and might never agree. Cables, 24 bit (which can even ADD distortion), and 96 sample rates are just more audiophile nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

And "twice as good" is EXACTLY what I am trying to highlight here, Dzilla. That's the subjective part. Better? Absolutely they sound better to a point, and there is a difference. Think about it. If a $1300 speaker is twice as good as a $600 speaker (your post sprinkles, not mine), and you don't hit diminishing returns until $5000, that means you are claiming gains are linear. So $2600 is also twice as good as $1300. And $5200 is twice as good as $2600. Following your logic, it wouldn't be absurd to claim (just to make this easy) that a $600 speaker is twice as good as a $100 and we'll stop there. That is 16 TIMES BETTER to go from $100 to $5000. 16 fricken times. And that is just speakers. How do you feel about then adding amps and DACS cables? Where does "twice as good" fall in that range, because we could easily end up in the range of 128 times as good pretty quickly if you share that speaker logic on other components.

I think its an extremely misleading way to represent the very small differences in audio, when most of the response of a speaker is dominated by the room anyway.

There is a reason audiophiles lose their minds when people mentione a double blind test. And I'll give you a hint. Its not because the tests are flawed...

So listen, its not the speakers aren't better or that I can't hear any difference at all, its that "twice as good" combined with "no diminishing returns until $5000" just absolutely falls flat on its face and completely misrepresents the tiny changes in gear that I would bet most people don't take advantage of anyway.

Play Dwarf Fortress!

Chimp Challenge Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #106 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Official Luddite of OCN

Liked: 401
Quote:

Just to throw another opinion in the hat here, I would say diminishing returns set on heavily after like $50.

Even a $1000 speaker does not sound twice a good to me as a $50 speaker. Audio is a fools game to sell boutique equipment and brand names with inaudible differences in specs or clearly intentional flaws to create "boutique sound signature" no different than making purposefully ugly clothes to make a fashion trend.

No, there is certainly a difference - especially at those price ranges. I'd say anything new under $70 is junk..and to about $120 it's mediocre - $120-$199 is good - $200-$300 is really good - above that is ideal with anything more than $1000 really being catered to those that really want the best and have a great setup to push the speakers in the first place

I've always bought used sets under $100 that were generally worth $200 or so new (these z-623's were around 145 new though but I paid 80 bucks)

A decent set of speakers makes a huge difference and I've yet to find $50 set that i'd remotely call decent. Please keep in mind there are always grey areas, and I've seen cases where a $100 speaker set out performs a $300 one, so you really have to look at individual reviews for a better idea. People blasted my z-623's compared to the pro media's in the same price range but to my ears and the way I have my EQ setup with my soundcard I got a better sound and response out of them to my taste, at least.

AMD Puma+ Performance Analysis - Memory scaling on A8-6410CPU History (Click to show)
Pentium 3 450mhz - Pentium 4 2.53ghz (Rambus pc800 based!) Pentium 4 2.8e, Pentium 4 3.4c,Athlon 64 FX-53, A64 X2 4200+, Opteron 165, Opteron 180, Athlon X4 645, Athlon x2 250u, FX-8120, FX-8350, FX-9590, Pentium G3258, i5 4570, i7 4790k + many more
GPU History - (Click to show)
Voodoo 3, Ati Rage 128, Aopen Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb agp8x, BFG FX-5200 128mb, Sparkle Geforce 6200 256mb, EVGA 6600gt, EVGA 7600gs, ATi x800pro, Gecube x1950pro 256mb, Gigabyte gts450 1gb, Sapphire 6670 gddr5 low profile, Asus gtx550ti 1gb, EVGA gtx480, Evga 750ti 2gb, XFX 7970ghz edition, Sapphire 290x
Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club
post-flame-small.gif [Official] AMD R9 290X Owners Club post-flame-small.gif
post #107 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM
3.5ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post

No, there is certainly a difference

I never said there wasn't. Everyone is reading things I didn't write.

There is a difference. You (I) can hear it. The keywords are "twice as good" and "diminishing returns."

Going from no sound, to any sound is huge. Then, going to a pair of $50 bookshelves from an onboard laptop or TV speaker is another huge return. Going from those $50 bookshelves to $100 bookshelves DOES NOT make as big of a difference as upgrading to the $50 speakers in the first place, therefor, returns have diminished and will continue to do so no matter how much money you spend and its extremely far from linear.

Play Dwarf Fortress!

post #108 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This is probably why we disagree and might never agree. Cables, 24 bit (which can even ADD distortion), and 96 sample rates are just more audiophile nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

And "twice as good" is EXACTLY what I am trying to highlight here, Dzilla. That's the subjective part. Better? Absolutely they sound better to a point, and there is a difference. Think about it. If a $1300 speaker is twice as good as a $600 speaker (your post sprinkles, not mine), and you don't hit diminishing returns until $5000, that means you are claiming gains are linear. So $2600 is also twice as good as $1300. And $5200 is twice as good as $2600. Following your logic, it wouldn't be absurd to claim (just to make this easy) that a $600 speaker is twice as good as a $100 and we'll stop there. That is 16 TIMES BETTER to go from $100 to $5000. 16 fricken times. And that is just speakers. How do you feel about then adding amps and DACS cables? Where does "twice as good" fall in that range, because we could easily end up in the range of 128 times as good pretty quickly if you share that speaker logic on other components.

I think its an extremely misleading way to represent the very small differences in audio, when most of the response of a speaker is dominated by the room anyway.

There is a reason audiophiles lose their minds when people mentione a double blind test. And I'll give you a hint. Its not because the tests are flawed...

So listen, its not the speakers aren't better or that I can't hear any difference at all, its that "twice as good" combined with "no diminishing returns until $5000" just absolutely falls flat on its face and completely misrepresents the tiny changes in gear that I would bet most people don't take advantage of anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post

No, there is certainly a difference - especially at those price ranges. I'd say anything new under $70 is junk..and to about $120 it's mediocre - $120-$199 is good - $200-$300 is really good - above that is ideal with anything more than $1000 really being catered to those that really want the best and have a great setup to push the speakers in the first place

I've always bought used sets under $100 that were generally worth $200 or so new (these z-623's were around 145 new though but I paid 80 bucks)

A decent set of speakers makes a huge difference and I've yet to find $50 set that i'd remotely call decent. Please keep in mind there are always grey areas, and I've seen cases where a $100 speaker set out performs a $300 one, so you really have to look at individual reviews for a better idea. People blasted my z-623's compared to the pro media's in the same price range but to my ears and the way I have my EQ setup with my soundcard I got a better sound and response out of them to my taste, at least.
are the Elac B6 better than JBL LSR305 ? they are both about $280 a pair, but i heard only good things about jbl. which would be better in your opinion ?
post #109 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 12:11 PM
3.5ghz

If It were me, Elac 10 times out of 10.

Play Dwarf Fortress!

post #110 of 152 Old 10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi!

Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post

are the Elac B6 better than JBL LSR305 ? they are both about $280 a pair, but i heard only good things about jbl. which would be better in your opinion ?
Have a look at the pictures of these two steaks. A meal for either cost about $140. I've heard good things about the one on the left. Which would be better in your opinion?

See, if you hasn't actually eaten both of them, all you're going to be able to offer is a wild guess as to which is better.

The guy that's eaten both of them is who you're looking for for your "opinion question".

Of course your best option would be to go somewhere and test both yourself - steaks or and speakers!

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif

Misinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong.

...and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page