Easy HTPC Setup Update 1 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hello, i want to make a HTPC at my home and i would like to get a beginners tutorial smile.gif so i could to this my self and in the future to something more harder.

I would like to have the feature to download on the computer and a good library thumb.gif

I think it all, all tips and help welcome.

Here is the rig smile.gif for now this has to work. I am running now for start Windows Media Center but in couple days i am going to change it =D

Case : Spire SP-3005B
PSU : GE-C350P-C1
Motherboard : Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2,2GHz
RAM : 2Gb DDR2 @ 800Mhz
GPU : ATI RADEON X800 XT
HDD : 120Gb Seagate @ 7200Rpm
DVD Drive: NEC DVD RW ND-3500AG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 0
We definitely need a budget first.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 17
Could use a few more details on what you actually want to do with this. Are you going to stream to the HTPC or will the HTPC be the hub for all of your media? Do you want to play games or just watch movies.

I found that the longer I have my HTPC the more things I try out on it, recently started messing around with Emulators to play Gamecube games and it is fantastic.

But I digress more info is needed, and giving us a budget would be a good place to start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Amiga 500

Liked: 42
Three sticky threads at the top of the page...

dunx

Faster...sonic.gif

BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2 

post #5 of 21 Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Humms budget for what ? is not the most or all the software free for this ?

only movies to start with just want to have it as basic as i can, i would like to have the option that other computer can connect.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

I need something like 101, for noobs, the first step to the future or something like that thumb.gif
post #7 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Liked: 14
You can take a look at the approach I used for an HTMC build here http://www.overclock.net/t/1319808/silent-htpc-build
Another good source which I think has all the information you could possibly want to ask in building an HTPC is here http://mymediaexperience.com/getting-started-with-my-media-experience/

The guy who created this website basically does everything for you but build the system for you. The website has live templates for building an HTPC depending on your budget and your needs.

The reason why some people are asking for a budget is because they are making the assumption you will be building a new computer system or recycling components from an old computer to create your HTPC? Or are you planning on using your current desktop and have it work as an HTPC as well?

Since you have asked the first question of what is needed to create an HTPC, we in-turn need to ask a few followup questions to better serve your interests.

From your initial posts its sounds like you want to build two systems... A storage/library area which can sometimes be referred to as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) to hold all your movies, music, games, etc. And the second system would be an HTPC to stream and view/record content to/from your NAS. Some people who are on a budget can use their HTPC as a NAS too but I would try to keep them separate if at all possible.

If you are planning on recording TV shows from a cable company you will need a TV tuner.
If you are planning on backing up your private movie library from DVD, BD then you do not need a tuner. You just need the free software out on the web to backup the movies to your harddrive. I am guessing this is what you are referring to as free software in your last post?

Anyway to build the HTPC the cost of component can range from about $150 to $400. It all depends on what components you want and what are the uses for your HTPC. That said, $300 should be more than enough to cover all your needs for any HTPC build to stream movies, and play some small ROM games. If you go for the latest brand name components it will cost a bit more.

Sample build

This is just a sample build, you can switch out components as needed to lower price point etc. Like if you want a separate SSD for your OS. Some of the items may be overkill for what you need but at least this build should handle most of you are looking for. I would also shop around for sale on items to save you a few bucks.

I hope the info I provided give you the steps to move forward. I am sure others will chime in as well for additional hints.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRage View Post

You can take a look at the approach I used for an HTMC build here http://www.overclock.net/t/1319808/silent-htpc-build
Another good source which I think has all the information you could possibly want to ask in building an HTPC is here http://mymediaexperience.com/getting-started-with-my-media-experience/
This what you did looks good but for now im going to use a simple computer that i have, it has some Intel Dual Core cpu, 2Gb of ram i can add 2 more if needed and some gpu that supports 1080p movies, i have tried this system out using VLC on full hd movies.
Quote:

The guy who created this website basically does everything for you but build the system for you. The website has live templates for building an HTPC depending on your budget and your needs.
sound good couse i am only looking for a software help not hardware smile.gif
Quote:

The reason why some people are asking for a budget is because they are making the assumption you will be building a new computer system or recycling components from an old computer to create your HTPC? Or are you planning on using your current desktop and have it work as an HTPC as well?
like i said i am going to use a computer that i already have and now i under stand the budget question smile.gif i would like to keep the budget at 0 smile.gif
Quote:

Since you have asked the first question of wanted to create an HTPC, we in turn need to ask a few follow questions to better serve your interests.
thank you for asking that is good couse i am new at this and would like to have the baby steps for the software part, there is so much out there to chose from.
Quote:

From your initial posts its sounds like you want to build two systems... A storage/library area which can sometimes be referred to as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) to hold all your movies, music, games, etc. And the second system would be an HTPC to stream and view/record content to/from your NAS. Some people who are on a budget can use their HTPC as a NAS too but I would try to keep them separate if at all possible.
i was thinking of to start with only one computer that will be connected to the tv and would have couple hard drives with big library of movies, music and so on, i would be nice if i could connect my laptop to the computer but that is not a must for me.
Quote:

If you are planning on recording TV shows from a cable company you will need a TV tuner.
If you are planning on backing up your private movie library from DVD, BD then you do not need a tuner. You just need the free software out on the web to backup the movies to your harddrive. I am guessing this is what you are referring to as free software in your last post?
nops like i said above all the movies will be on the hard drives that i have and i wont be recording stuff. smile.gif

Quote:

This is just a sample build, you can switch out components as needed to lower price point etc. Like if you want a separate SSD for your OS. Some of the items may be overkill for what you need but at least this build should handle most of you are looking for. I would also shop around for sale on items to save you a few bucks.

I hope the info I provided give you the steps to move forward. I am sure others will chime in as well for additional hints.
awsome, if you need more answears that ask smile.gif like i said baby steps couse i don't really know what i am doing hehehe.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 PM

Liked: 14
I personally use XBMC as my media center. It is free and supports one of the formats I wanted to stream over the wireless network which is ISO. Here is a list of other possible media center software you can use http://mymediaexperience.com/top-10-most-popular-media-center-software-for-your-hdtv/

Software combo I recommend to backup media for HTPC: I have tested quite a few and the list below work quite well together.
DVDFAB
AnyDVD
BD-Rebuilder
ImgBurn

Windows media center does not support ISO playback... well, lets say the work around was not worth it for me.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Quote:

I personally use XBMC as my media center. It is free and supports one of the formats I wanted to stream over the wireless network which is ISO. Here is a list of other possible media center software you can use http://mymediaexperience.com/top-10-most-popular-media-center-software-for-your-hdtv/
Software combo I recommend to backup media for HTPC: I have tested quite a few and the list below work quite well together.
DVDFAB
AnyDVD
BD-Rebuilder
ImgBurn
Windows media center does not support ISO playback... well, lets say the work around was not worth it for me.
oks nice going to read this, i have 2,5Tb of movies most in AVI and MKV so that would be for now the specifications i hope to get, and that the media center could run H.264 coded movies so i would be about future safe thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page