Can home-based HTPC server stream video content on distance via coaxial cable?(like TimeWarner) - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've my main PC at my home and I've ultra fast fiber-optic internet over there, but since I've moved over to my mom's home for 2 months (we don't have TV cable in here and don't want to order it since as I'll go back my home anytime soon and my mom isn't going to watch anything on it) this topic just got me wondering... is it possible to manage this home-based HTPC server to stream video content over coaxial cable like TimeWarner does?

If not` what are the possible ways to stream video content on distance? one method I can is through internet of course, but I'd like to see other solutions, mostly cabling solution

both my and mom's buildings have coaxial cabling already setup, so it's matter of connecting things together.

BTW: if distance matters` my home(where the HTPC server is located) is approximately 5 miles away from here(mom's house) and we fall understand the same zip code

So, what it takes to setup cable TV in here through my HTPC server in my home?

Thanks smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to carlhil2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAssassin View Post

I've my main PC at my home and I've ultra fast fiber-optic internet over there, but since I've moved over to my mom's home for 2 months (we don't have TV cable in here and don't want to order it since as I'll go back my home anytime soon and my mom isn't going to watch anything on it) this topic just got me wondering... is it possible to manage this home-based HTPC server to stream video content over coaxial cable like TimeWarner does?

If not` what are the possible ways to stream video content on distance? one method I can is through internet of course, but I'd like to see other solutions, mostly cabling solution

both my and mom's buildings have coaxial cabling already setup, so it's matter of connecting things together.

BTW: if distance matters` my home(where the HTPC server is located) is approximately 5 miles away from here(mom's house) and we fall understand the same zip code

So, what it takes to setup cable TV in here through my HTPC server in my home?

Thanks smile.gif
DLNA,.....

BlackMamba
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Liked: 114
Send a message via AIM to ounderfla69 Send a message via MSN to ounderfla69 Send a message via Yahoo to ounderfla69
First the cable company is not going to let you use their infrastructure to stream data from point a to point b. You could buy 5 miles of coax, but that might be a little on the expensive side. What are you trying to stream? Video content on the pc or live tv. If you have WMC you can stream recorded tv using windows mesh. Plex server is very good and it allows you to setup channels so you can stream tv programs to your PC, phone or tablet. You can get a slingbox to stream live tv to your pc.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page