Another Q6600 thread... w/ Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well, since my last attempt at overclocking failed miserably, I decided to tinker with my Q6600 rig.

I've had it overclocked for years at 3.2 with very good temps in the upper 20s low 30s idle, and under load with Intel Burn Test I would barely reach 60-62 after an hour.

I would like to try for the third time, hopefully successfully, to get to 3.6.

Every time I've tried to move the multiplier to 9x, I have had the system crash, and I've tried increasing the voltage as much as .06volts with no success.

My current settings are:

VID 1.325
vCore: 1.3125
PLL: 1.57
CPU termination: 1.26
CPU reference: AUTO

I don't think there is much that needs to be messed with since my RAM and everything else has been absolutely rock solid with the overclock at the 400Mhz FSB, and I'm only changing the multiplier.

I know there are many threads out there on this specific CPU, so I'll search through them again, but if there is a tip on where to proceed given the current settings and stability except for the 9x multiplier, I would love to hear it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 1178
Let me see if I remember, hope other OCNers can contribute, too.

1600FSB on that board (had one too) is doable, but there is one caveat: high Vdroop. It's not so high you can't stabilize a quad, that the reason I bought it in the first place, but it does mean you need to overvolt a bit more. So my advice would be to increase the NB voltage by a notch and see if it helps. Set 9x multi and go up from about 350FSB or where you know it's stable @ 9x. You may need to increase the CPU voltage quite a bit, probably close to 1.45V, but it shouldn't be a concern at first until you find a stable clock speed; then you can finetune and decrease voltages it you can. Also a slight bump of 0.1V for the RAM can't hurt in order to indirectly stabilize the memory controller.

That's about what I remember about fine tuning a quad on the DS3R, post back how it goes.
silvergoat likes this.

post #3 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
It's so cold in the D

Liked: 769
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I think I remember that thread from a few years ago- thanks for the link....time to read.

post #5 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM
It's so cold in the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat;15359026 
I think I remember that thread from a few years ago- thanks for the link....time to read.
Somewhere on the first post I think I think another thread I made about the terminology and settings but most of that is in the EP45 thread now. Once you get a little reading done, ask away.
post #6 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm confused with the calculations for CPU reference. There is a linked site that explains how to come to a number using .635 (for dual core) and .667 (for quads) as a basis, however, it seems to be referring to individual GTL values by core and not for the overall CPU reference value in the UD3R.

Mine is on Auto, but shows a value on the side of .76, where it seems the recommendations are to be around .667

Will that equation for individual values also hold for the CPU reference value? If so, it will put me at ~0.67532 instead of the automatic value of 0.76.

post #7 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
It's so cold in the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat;15359747 
I'm confused with the calculations for CPU reference. There is a linked site that explains how to come to a number using .635 (for dual core) and .667 (for quads) as a basis, however, it seems to be referring to individual GTL values by core and not for the overall CPU reference value in the UD3R.

Mine is on Auto, but shows a value on the side of .76, where it seems the recommendations are to be around .667

Will that equation for individual values also hold for the CPU reference value? If so, it will put me at ~0.67532 instead of the automatic value of 0.76.
It should but you will not really need to play with Ref's until you get to your highest stable clocks. There is an easy formula to set them but I have to remember what it was (been a long time).

What I can't remember is what the defalt for CPU Term is 1.20 or 1.30, I think it's 1.20 so lets go with that for now. So say your stable at 3.8 GHz and can not hit 3.9 or beyond, and your CPU Term is at 1.37v.
To make your Ref's scale you will need to drop CPU Term down to 1.20v and then make a bump in volts to CPU Ref or MCH Ref which ever one you start working on. So if you make the change from .67 to .68 now you want to change your CPU Term back to 1.37 volts and the Ref's will scale.
Now boot and test, the longer you run stable the the closer you will get to finding the best Ref.

Keep testing and repeating that cycle and you will see a pattern of which Ref was stable the longest, hence were you want to be.wink.gif

Sounds more complicated then it is so give it a shot. MAKE sure you write down all your changes.
silvergoat and crashdummy35 like this.
post #8 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat;15359747 

Generally you can just leave the GTL on auto. Sometimes teaking the GTL can fix a mildly unstable oc instead of just bumping up the vcore a notch or two.

Usually what I did if prime small fft was failing after about 45minutes is tweak the gtl then see if it fails quicker or takes longer. Generally I would just start with .67 and work my way down from there.

I'm pretty sure that the thread that you are looking for. Either way if you plan on overclocking 775 its a great read.
silvergoat likes this.
post #9 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM
0x00000124

Liked: 330
Quote:
Every time I've tried to move the multiplier to 9x, I have had the system crash, and I've tried increasing the voltage as much as .06volts with no success.

Unless you have one of the best Q6600's ever made, that small of a voltage increase isn't going to help out much, bro.

Multi: 9
fsb: 400

vcore: 1.475 BIOS (see what CPU-Z says)
cpu Term: 1.38, maybe 1.40
cpu PLL: 1.57
Load Line Calibration: Enabled
MCH: 1.30

I don't know what cooler you have on that Q6600/UD3R rig but I hope it's a decent one, because that 6600 is going to get HOT.

Boot those settings at 3.6 and see what happens. I can go all the way to 3.7 GHz with 1.475 BIOS/1.440 CPU-Z vcore--and that's actually quite good for a Q6600. Anything more takes some serious vcore jumps and my Mega isn't up to the task with all the heat.

Attached below is where I'm at now because I can't keep a 500 fsb stable yet.

Here's some Q6600 threads you can kinda poke through to gather some ideas on what the chips can do:

Q6600 Club.

Hey SLACR, GO higher! (Q6600 G0 overclocking thread)

My Experience Overclocking the Q6600

You've got that 6600 on one of the best P45 boards ever made. That UD3 can take pretty much whatever you throw at it. Read over the first page especially of the thread NoGuru linked you and you'll get it.
NoGuru and silvergoat like this.

post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifThe Windows 10 Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedraCorruption go_quote.gif
Oh but this is overclock.net We sandpaper our $1000 CPUs for that extra 2c.

“All Rocket League players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.” —Gordie Howe
Steam: crashdummy35 Battlelog: crashdummy35
Take a minute to welcome our new members from time-to-time...thumb.gif
post #10 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdummy35;15362468 
Unless you have one of the best Q6600's ever made, that small of a voltage increase isn't going to help out much, bro.

Multi: 9
fsb: 400

vcore: 1.475 BIOS (see what CPU-Z says)
cpu Term: 1.38, maybe 1.40
cpu PLL: 1.57
Load Line Calibration: Enabled
MCH: 1.30

I don't know what cooler you have on that Q6600/UD3R rig but I hope it's a decent one, because that 6600 is going to get HOT.

Boot those settings at 3.6 and see what happens. I can go all the way to 3.7 GHz with 1.475 BIOS/1.440 CPU-Z vcore--and that's actually quite good for a Q6600. Anything more takes some serious vcore jumps and my Mega isn't up to the task with all the heat.

Attached below is where I'm at now because I can't keep a 500 fsb stable yet.

Here's some Q6600 threads you can kinda poke through to gather some ideas on what the chips can do:

Q6600 Club.

Hey SLACR, GO higher! (Q6600 G0 overclocking thread)

My Experience Overclocking the Q6600

You've got that 6600 on one of the best P45 boards ever made. That UD3 can take pretty much whatever you throw at it. Read over the first page especially of the thread NoGuru linked you and you'll get it.

That first line made me laugh-

I've never made such giant modifications to the settings so I am a little hesitant. What kind of temps do you get on your Megahalems? I have the same cooler on my Q9450- I have a Zalman 9900 on my Q6600 right now and it is working fine.....just ran Intel Burn Test @3.2 w/1.312 volts and it didn't even get into the mid 50s after 20+ minutes.

Tomorrow I should be able to test some settings once I finish the scans I'm running on my hard drives.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page