Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 206 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?
Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard). 237 80.07%
Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard). 45 15.20%
No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard). 7 2.36%
No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard). 7 2.36%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #2051 of 9601 Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Intel Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseinat0r View Post

I have a question. Currently im at 4.0GHz with CPU core voltage set to automatic (pretty sure that means it's not overvolting.) My goal is not to degrade the CPU at all over time as I don't plant on replacing it for at least another 2 years. So should I just set core voltage to offset at 0.05v and just overclock it up or should I expect to see degredation of the CPUs life?
Also I overclocked it to 4.3 without overvolting and it bluescreened some time between 1-3 hours in a prime test.

You should not have your vcore on auto when overclocking. There is no way of knowing what offset is going to make your cpu stable. This is what you will have to figure out through stress testing the cpu. A +0.005 is starting point for a 45 multi, lower multi's will most likely be in the negative offsets.

If you are careful, do plenty of reading on how to overclock, and follow the suggestions members make to you then you should have any problems with your cpu degrading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2052 of 9601 Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugi View Post

Hello Jpmboy,
Thank you for your reply. I am interested in hitting 47x or 48x. Maybe even 49x... However, my greatest fear is putting too much stress on my CPU right now. At this moment, it's at 45x, hows the voltage and temps? They seem really low. I think, I am barely hitting mid 40s while gaming and under full loads it's at about mid 60s to high 60s at 1.288v.
Should I keep going off this guild to hit 47x, 48x, or even 49x? Though going back to stress levels, is this too much? I do not want to hurt the longevity of my CPU.
If I understand this correctly per the guild.
One should set his cpu multiplier as high as possible without breaking 1.5v. If bsod or error occurs but the PC is NOT at max vcore, increase the turbo boost by 1 without reaching 1.02v or 1.08v [is this information correct?].
If 1.5v is reached , one should decrease the cpu multiplier by one. Then apply the final test of one hour?
If 1.5v has not been reached yet, try increasing turbo boost [without breaking 1.02v or 1.08v, once again is this information correct?] OR increase the PLL by one spot [without breaking these 1.709v or 1.89v]. If it success, increase the cpu multiplier by one without reaching 1.5v of the vcore.
Then repeat until the goal has been reached.
Pre the cooler, I am using H100 with the original thermal paste. Though, I do have arctic silver at my home. What cooler are you referring to? Could you link it please. What's the difference between the two coolers? Also, what do you mean by "it's non-linear above 45"? Do you mean the performance does not increase linearly?

Sugi- be patient and follow the guide. There's no instructions, only a guide since each chip/mb/ram is a different beast. Frankly, i would not go near 1.5 volts. My cutoff was 1.45. The Intel specs say 1.52 is within the design for SB. For me, seeing windows spike Vcore was worrisome. One thing that is pretty clear - above 46 you will want to work PLL with offset.

Intel had an overclockers program where they would replace a fried chip. A google search will find it.

Take it one step at a time and find the settings you are comfortable with. Really, notwithstanding benchmarking, you will see little if any difference between 45 and 47 or 48. You will at 50 for sure.

H100 is very good

Non linear - the gain in clock speed per millivolt decreases. It is an inverted "U" which is different for each rig.... Unless, well read what these dry ice and LN2 extreme clockers manage to pump thru at low temps!
post #2053 of 9601 Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 23 View Post

First thing i noticed is in the second screen shot. Not sure why its saying your processor speed is 25500mhz?
Another issue that is a problem i believe is that you selected "Per Core", this should be set to "All Cores".
Not sure what ram you are running but this voltage should be set to either 1.5v or 1.65v
Your vcore is way too high. Put it back at a +0.005 offset and start over. Do you have your C-states setup correctly, that screen shot is missing.

Yep, 25500mhz its a bug of "per core" state. Ram is worked on 1.50v.
If i change:
Offset +0.005v
ATV auto
LLC 2
My computer does not want to load =) in this issue.
I will try choose values:
Offset +0.005, +0.010, 0.015v etc.
ATV 0.004, 0.008 etc.
LLC 2, 3
Computer does not want to load also.
I can to start my computer in next changes:
Offset +0.065v
ATV auto
LLC 2
I do not know what to do yet, and what is my problem...
P.S. C-states setup attached later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2054 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post

WAAAY too high vcore for 45! You are going to turn that chip into a flash bulb. Back down offset and turbo to 5 and4 mIlli volts positive offset ASAP!
Damn - you're way off the reservation.

In offset and turbo to 5 and 4 mIlli volts my computer does dont want boot. Above I described the problem in more detail.

Damn - you're way off the reservation - i cant translate this locution =)
Hello from Russia =)
post #2055 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
The best way to proceed is to set everything back to stock (clr cmos). set memory to the stock XMP you will use (1333 or 1600). Boot to windows. Everything okay? if yes*, then restart into bios. "All cores", Multiplier at 45, C3 C6 off, spreadspectrum off, iPLL off, BCLK at 100, set offset to +0.005 and ATV to +0.004. If this will not boot to windows, increase ATV 1 or 2 notches until it will boot. if this fails, increase Vcore offset until it will boot with ATV now at notch 3. Test stability with p95 and follow the guide posted by the OP. get stable at 45 before moving up. when you get to 46 and higher, iPLL and CPU PLL are "ON" and "adjusted as appropriate", respectively, but you will need to experiment with both. Format a memory key fat32, reboot into bios and hit F12 for each screen. Post your bios screen shots here so folks can take a look and maybe help.
Edit: * if not you have a problem you need to fix before OC.

this has been posted before:

post #2056 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
PSU Buff

Liked: 20
I followed the guide when I began my OCing. I started off with the cpu multiplier at default, the offset votlage already set to +0.005v, and Additional Turbo Boost at +0.004 and went looking for the vcore in the bios versus in windows under full load. This is were I found the lvl 3 for the CPU-PLL. However after reading up on OCing more, it would seem it would be better to set the offset voltage at auto and turbo boost at auto as well, and then find the vcore voltage in the bios and in windows under full load, because it was and currently am at a negative offset?

THEN finally increase the cpu mulitpier without any offset voltage and turbo boost. Is this Correct? If so, I mistook the guide.

My goal for my computer is to find a stable 24/7 oc.

Jpmboy, thank you for the reply. Right now, I am taking a step back and going over my OC as I believe I may have made a mistake. ^
post #2057 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugi View Post

I followed the guide when I began my OCing. I started off with the cpu multiplier at default, the offset votlage already set to +0.005v, and Additional Turbo Boost at +0.004 and went looking for the vcore in the bios versus in windows under full load. This is were I found the lvl 3 for the CPU-PLL. However after reading up on OCing more, it would seem it would be better to set the offset voltage at auto and turbo boost at auto as well, and then find the vcore voltage in the bios and in windows under full load, because it was and currently am at a negative offset?
THEN finally increase the cpu mulitpier without any offset voltage and turbo boost. Is this Correct? If so, I mistook the guide.
My goal for my computer is to find a stable 24/7 oc.
Jpmboy, thank you for the reply. Right now, I am taking a step back and going over my OC as I believe I may have made a mistake. ^

No you are never supposed to run your vcore on auto. You can make things easier buy leaving turbo on auto and only adjusting offset.

Its ok to run a negative offset, it all depends on vcore and what is displayed in CPU-z at full load.

The Level 3 you are talking about is Load Line Calibration not PLL.
post #2058 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 27
Quote:

No you are never supposed to run your vcore on auto. You can make things easier buy leaving turbo on auto and only adjusting offset.
Its ok to run a negative offset, it all depends on vcore and what is displayed in CPU-z at full load.

+1 I run a -0.055 offset with my OC and my vcore is 1.35 at most on 100% load.
post #2059 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the help earlier in this thread. I've been stable at 4.2 GHz for weeks, offset is -0.125, and max voltage is 1.232 V. Temps max out just above 60C then seem to hover in the high 50s.

post #2060 of 9601 Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
PSU Buff

Liked: 20
Quote:

I did read that about NOT have the offset on auto, however I was a bit confused regarding the settings.

Should I start over? OR Is it safe to have the offset voltage at 0.005v and Turbo Boost at +0.004 while looking for the vcore in the bios and in HWMonitor under full load? My difference is 0.04 or 0.05 with lvl3. Is this a OK setting for the difference of the vcore? However, I got my stable OC of 4.5GHz from only changing the CPU multiplier and that's it. Ran Prime95 for an hour with OP's custom settings. However, I did notice I only use about 10GB out of my 16GB setup. Is this still acceptable? And oops, excuse me for the typo, I did mean CPU-LLC or Load-Line Calibration.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page