[Official] Ivy Bridge Owners Thread - Page 22 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: Which Ivy Bridge CPU did you buy?
i5 3570k 692 50.55%
i7 3770k 586 42.80%
Other 91 6.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1369. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Handsome.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Guys? What do you use for temperature monitoring? I'm just trying to get some accurate readings on this thing. RealTemp and CoreTemp both show me hitting 90C+ in less then 30 seconds... however, they are displaying the wrong voltages as well. They show 1.24 volts at stock (even though I configured the BIOS to run at 1.155. CPU-Z shows 1.128, so that is a lot more accurate.

Are you running Coretemp? Realtemp? Aida? Some other temperature monitor I'm not aware of?

R.I.P. Syrillian - August 13, 2011
Amazing during your time here on earth, but your calling in heaven must be extraordinary.

About drbaltazar's translated posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 go_quote.gif

i like the!new GPU from AMD!this discovery( could mean !alot ! i like grapes!

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post

Guys? What do you use for temperature monitoring? I'm just trying to get some accurate readings on this thing. RealTemp and CoreTemp both show me hitting 90C+ in less then 30 seconds... however, they are displaying the wrong voltages as well. They show 1.24 volts at stock (even though I configured the BIOS to run at 1.155. CPU-Z shows 1.128, so that is a lot more accurate.
Are you running Coretemp? Realtemp? Aida? Some other temperature monitor I'm not aware of?

I'm running Realtemp 3.7, seems fairly accurate so far. Perhaps you should try get all of the monitoring apps and see if they're showing the same temps. CPUz tends to have a slightly off vcore reading, but I can't confirm that.

post #213 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcyle View Post

Quote:

I'm running Realtemp 3.7, seems fairly accurate so far. Perhaps you should try get all of the monitoring apps and see if they're showing the same temps. CPUz tends to have a slightly off vcore reading, but I can't confirm that.

CPU-Z seems the most accurate on the voltages. If I have 1.155 set in BIOS, the other programs shouldn't be reading 1.24 volts at idle. CPU-Z shows 1.128 (only .022 difference instead of the .09 on the other two)

Amazing during your time here on earth, but your calling in heaven must be extraordinary.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM
3.0ghz

Liked: 142
I know I don't have an Ivy, but I think this comment will still be relevant. Coretemp and Realtemp only show VID, not core voltage, whereas CPU-z reads the voltage from the MB sensor. CPU-z will give you accurate volts, the other programs will give you accurate temps! thumb.gif

post #215 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirektEffekt View Post

I know I don't have an Ivy, but I think this comment will still be relevant. Coretemp and Realtemp only show VID, not core voltage, whereas CPU-z reads the voltage from the MB sensor. CPU-z will give you accurate volts, the other programs will give you accurate temps! thumb.gif

The accurate temps thing scares me. 90C+ in 30 seconds of prime 95 (any mode) with stock cooler on stock volts... yeesh.

With that being said, I can't wait to get this thing under water... she needs it. lol

Quote:

post #216 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM
3.0ghz

Quote:

The accurate temps thing scares me. 90C+ in 30 seconds of prime 95 (any mode) with stock cooler on stock volts... yeesh.
With that being said, I can't wait to get this thing under water... she needs it. lol

That temperature is shocking to say the least! redface.gif I really hope this isn't the kind of thing we have to get used to! I just hope we get a better stepping soon! rolleyes.gif That water should help though! tongue.gif These things seem to be little heat machines!

post #217 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Sandy Bridge Forever

Liked: 273
I've got a 3770k shipping off today. If/when they release a revised stepping, will we be able to swap these out ? Didn't something similar happen with the 3930k ?

Be Courteous, Have Some Manners and Show Some Respect. We're All Here To Help and Be Helped.

An Emphasis on Quality of Content

Chimp Challenge Participant  8 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #218 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
333mhz

Liked: 0
I have a couple questions, my 3570k and Gigabyte Z77 UD5 are on the way, I was going to do just a straight re-install of windows 7 when it gets here, but I've read up on the system prep tool as well. My current rig is in my signature, so I'll be going from an intel i5-760 chip, SSD for my OS, I thought I'd give the system prep method a try, anyone on here gone that route? Did it work well?

Also, as far as putting on the thermal paste, I've always used the pea method in the middle of the processor, is that still good for the ivy bridge processors? or should I be doing a line down the middle? I'll be using arctic silver 5 and a cooler master 212+ evo cooler.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

post #219 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
3.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwiley View Post

I've got a 3770k shipping off today. If/when they release a revised stepping, will we be able to swap these out ? Didn't something similar happen with the 3930k ?

The only time they offer a free change is if they find something actually wrong with the CPU. For example if it's found that under certain circumstances the chip gives a certain error consistently. Currently all it appears to do is get really hot, but if Intel took this into account, and I'm guessing they did, it's unfortunately hardly what they could call a fault. So if a new revision came out it would be like the original i7's C0 and D0 steppings. One is better but the other is fine and if you want the better one you will have to buy it again.

That said Ivy is hardly a bad chip and I think you will be very happy with your purchase! thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokumhz View Post

I have a couple questions, my 3570k and Gigabyte Z77 UD5 are on the way, I was going to do just a straight re-install of windows 7 when it gets here, but I've read up on the system prep tool as well. My current rig is in my signature, so I'll be going from an intel i5-760 chip, SSD for my OS, I thought I'd give the system prep method a try, anyone on here gone that route? Did it work well?
Also, as far as putting on the thermal paste, I've always used the pea method in the middle of the processor, is that still good for the ivy bridge processors? or should I be doing a line down the middle? I'll be using arctic silver 5 and a cooler master 212+ evo cooler.
Thanks in advance smile.gif

If you are just changing the MB and CPU then you'll really just have to uninstall old MB drivers for ethernet and the chipset etc. and install new ones. You shouldn't see a problem at all with that. Also, the dot in the middle and press method is still preferred, although I would recommend using a more advanced TIM than AS5 if you can get it. MX-4 is the one that comes to mind but there are many others available that easily outperform AS5 today even after the AS5 has cured.

post #220 of 7362 Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirektEffekt View Post

The only time they offer a free change is if they find something actually wrong with the CPU. For example if it's found that under certain circumstances the chip gives a certain error consistently. Currently all it appears to do is get really hot, but if Intel took this into account, and I'm guessing they did, it's unfortunately hardly what they could call a fault. So if a new revision came out it would be like the original i7's C0 and D0 steppings. One is better but the other is fine and if you want the better one you will have to buy it again.

How long does it usually take them to release a new stepping? Upgrading from a Q6600 so I am not sure I can wait biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page