Can you overclock an i3? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 29 Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
No keyboard detected! Press F1 to continue..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

I've been running 106.15 BCLK on mine since I built it in December, and its my file server....using onboard RAID even. No data corruption thus far.
From my experience, the BCLK issues tend to screw with SSD's the worst. My i5 rig pulled 105.5 stable with my RAID0 mech drives. When I got a SSD, I can't get over about 103 stable anymore.

Interesting info ..thinking.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeeT View Post

Price range for a processor is about 100-125 dollars for me.

Can you wait? The Ivy Bridge Dual Cores will be out in a few months
post #13 of 29 Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShodanMarcus View Post

Can you wait? The Ivy Bridge Dual Cores will be out in a few months

Yeh I can wait... But how much will they cost? Will they be overclockable?

Also another question are LGA 1155/1156 processor and/or mobo compatible in any way with eachother or the sockets offer no compatiblity to eachother?

Give it more juice! We dont have any juice!? Then give it some tea... rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

WOAH! rolleyes.gif

Look what I just read...

Heat issue when overclocked

Ivy Bridge's temperatures are reportedly 20°C higher compared to Sandy Bridge when overclocked. Overclockers[who?] speculate that this occurs because instead of using fluxless solder to transfer heat from the die to the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), Intel used Thermal Interface Materials (TIM) to cut cost. The cheap[20] thermal paste Intel used has much lower thermal conductivity, causing heat to build up on the die.[21][22][23] Impress PC Watch (Japanese) has proven that this is in fact true.[24][25]

Intel has said that overclocking the CPU will result in higher temperatures due to the fact that with the die shrink, there is an increased thermal density; Intel at the same time stated that this is as expected and will likely not improve in future revisions.[26] Similar phenomena occurred when Intel released the 90 nanometer Prescott core Pentium 4 processors - a die shrink of the 130 nanometer Northwood processors.

mad.gif

That sounds like a bad idea now Shodan...

Give it more juice! We dont have any juice!? Then give it some tea... rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 29 Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 13
You can't overclock them with the simplicity of overclocking an i5 2500k by changing simply the multiplier..
You can get more speed but errors are too frequent are settings are less easy than for the K series..
If u want to oc go for an 2500k (save the money for it or go for an amd but beware of the power cusumption)
post #16 of 29 Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

1156 i3s OC like a beast.. idk why Intel doesn't make an unlocked 1155 i3 rolleyes.gif

This would be a wet dream come true. Get a little i3 pushing 4+ghz.....good luck touching that performance to dollar ratio!!
Quote:

WOAH! rolleyes.gif
Look what I just read...
Heat issue when overclocked
Ivy Bridge's temperatures are reportedly 20°C higher compared to Sandy Bridge when overclocked. Overclockers[who?] speculate that this occurs because instead of using fluxless solder to transfer heat from the die to the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), Intel used Thermal Interface Materials (TIM) to cut cost. The cheap[20] thermal paste Intel used has much lower thermal conductivity, causing heat to build up on the die.[21][22][23] Impress PC Watch (Japanese) has proven that this is in fact true.[24][25]
Intel has said that overclocking the CPU will result in higher temperatures due to the fact that with the die shrink, there is an increased thermal density; Intel at the same time stated that this is as expected and will likely not improve in future revisions.[26] Similar phenomena occurred when Intel released the 90 nanometer Prescott core Pentium 4 processors - a die shrink of the 130 nanometer Northwood processors.
mad.gif
That sounds like a bad idea now Shodan...

We all know IB runs hotter than SB, but there is also about a 15% IPC performance with IB over SB. So a lower lock speed on IB can be just as efficient as a slightly higher clocked SB.

post-flame-small.gif Member of some OCN clubs - Those links would be here if I had more room post-flame-small.gif
post #17 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Are LGA 1155/1156 processor and/or mobo compatible in any way with eachother or the sockets offer no compatiblity to eachother?

post #18 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 528
Quote:

Are LGA 1155/1156 processor and/or mobo compatible in any way with eachother or the sockets offer no compatiblity to eachother?

No. They are different sockets that use different CPU's. 1156 was first gen, 1155 is second and third gen for the mainstream i-series processors.
post #19 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 166
Do you mean that its more complicated to overclock an i3 because you have to manually downclock chipset/ht link/IMC, or its just impossible to overclock them?

I mean people say you can't overclock non black edition AM3, or that non BE amd is 'locked multi', but really you can overclock them through fsb, and the multiplier is not locked, its just semi locked (can't raise but can lower, allowing for better overclocking by mixing fsb and differing multis).
post #20 of 29 Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 AM

Liked: 14
Do you realise this is a several month old thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Do you mean that its more complicated to overclock an i3 because you have to manually downclock chipset/ht link/IMC, or its just impossible to overclock them?

The new i3/i5/i7's use BCLK instead of FSB. The BCLK is responsible for affecting the speed of more components of your computer, and is very sensitive to slight increases in speed, meaning that generally any overclock via this method only gives a few percent increase in CPU speed (e.g. 2-8%). This means that the old method of overclocking by increasing the FSB no longer works, leaving increasing the multiplier as the only way of getting a meaningful overclock. For their consumer socket (1155), Intel sells one i5 and one i7 that have unlocked multis (these are the k models). There are no unlocked i3's and the i3 also doesn't have a turbo boost for when only one core is running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

I mean people say you can't overclock non black edition AMD, or that non BE amd is 'locked multi', but really you can overclock them through fsb, and the multiplier is not locked, its just semi locked (can't raise but can lower, allowing for better overclocking by mixing fsb and differing multis).

As far as AMD goes these days, their desktop CPU range (excluding APUs, ie. FX series) all have unlocked multipliers.

In a topic about someone turning a working PIII-1ghz into a key chain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptedvick go_quote.gif
my moms PC has a 667mhz P3 ... your keychain is faster :|

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page