[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1380 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13791 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Folding Fanatic
 
stickg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 4,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Valgaur,
Thank for the thread, sorry for the trouble, but when you get a chance could you remove me from the club and delete my info from the first post?
Thanks.
Over a little argument? Guys butt heads in here all the time. It's no big deal!


Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015 

stickg1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13792 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
performance fanboy
 
FtW 420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: near Vancouver, BC
Posts: 10,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Valgaur,
Thank for the thread, sorry for the trouble, but when you get a chance could you remove me from the club and delete my info from the first post?
Thanks.

There are always going to be conflicting opinions on the internet, don't take it personally. Arguments like that can be frustrating to those involved, but they end & tomorrow is a new day.

No need to leave the club over it.

____________________________

____________________________
.:|Official|Volt|Mod|Squad|Member|:.
post-flame-small.gifOCN bench teampost-flame-small.gif

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  40 Million+ Folding at Home points 

FtW 420 is offline  
post #13793 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
WaterCooler
 
RavageTheEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 144
So if I run a high voltage, like 1.6v would it just break my chip and not my other components? Is heat the reason why you can't run high voltages or is it because the chip just dies from it even if it isn't hitting the tj maxx?

Hardware
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 Z170 Motherboard - Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7Ghz (1.38v) - G.Skill Trident Z 3400Mhz DDR4 - Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti @1.093v 2126/12.2Ghz - Dual Samsung 500Gb SSD's - Evga G2 1300w PSU - Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Cooling
Dual MCP655's - Ek X-Top 150 Reservoir/Pump Top -EK D5 Pump Top - Alphacool XT45 420mm Radiator - Alphacool Monsta 360mm radiator - Alphacool UT30 240mm radiator - Monsoon Fittings - EK Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 Monoblock - EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus - Acetal+Nickel - EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus Backplate - Black
RavageTheEarth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13794 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
WaterCooler
 
RavageTheEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Valgaur,
Thank for the thread, sorry for the trouble, but when you get a chance could you remove me from the club and delete my info from the first post?
Thanks.

Don't leave the club man.. You've been a lot of help to me and a ton of other people. We wouldn't want to lose someone like yourself. Come onn I just got here. The party just started! You can't leave yet!! thumb.gif

Hardware
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 Z170 Motherboard - Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7Ghz (1.38v) - G.Skill Trident Z 3400Mhz DDR4 - Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti @1.093v 2126/12.2Ghz - Dual Samsung 500Gb SSD's - Evga G2 1300w PSU - Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Cooling
Dual MCP655's - Ek X-Top 150 Reservoir/Pump Top -EK D5 Pump Top - Alphacool XT45 420mm Radiator - Alphacool Monsta 360mm radiator - Alphacool UT30 240mm radiator - Monsoon Fittings - EK Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 Monoblock - EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus - Acetal+Nickel - EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus Backplate - Black
RavageTheEarth is offline  
post #13795 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
 
Joa3d43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 'Canada' - down here looking up there
Posts: 3,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

I have to wonder about some of the sentiment being thrown around here.

Hardware has really come a long, long way, as well as software. I really wonder if software overclocking is as bad as it is made out to be anymore. Nowadays boards are basically sold on how good the included overclocking suite is, every single person at tomshardware buys their boards based on the software, and TH's reviews of motherboards ranks a board's ability to overclock not on it's VRM, but based on how far of a software overclock you can get (even if voltages are reported inaccurately 100% of the time on all motherboards no matter the brand and quality, and you can often use some motherboard oc programs on other boards).

I think it's a valid question to ask these days, if software overclocking really is that bad. I mean people still say you should disable all powersaving options or that you should never go above 1.575 ram voltage on sandy bridge and ivy bridge, liquid pro being better than ultra, there's TONS of myths that are perpetuated because what used to be true or based off some mythical intel spreadsheet that never existed. Remember the 'max voltage for ivy is 1.52v", haha.

I think you showed people like me that XTU might be better but nothing concrete. I haven't heard any reports, like someone saying "well i passed 24 hours of prime95 but failed in 5 hours of xtu' or any sort of comparison of the two, like 'well i know for sure i fail prime95 at .05v less than my current voltage but xtu passes just fine'.
.

...your point if what used to be true but isn't anymore is well taken...there was a time when all the memory you need 'is 640K biggrin.gif ' ... that's why for commercial applications, we only use XTU (ditto for oc'ing and testing private systems)...in my experience, the XTU memory test results in a higher power draw and temps than prime95...typically 2 to 5 C higher, when I last ran a comparison (which is some time ago) though it depends on the system (ie speed and amount of RAM)

...I rarely use prime95 or the old, modified IBT these days anymore because I find XTU more challenging - and also what commercial clients can agree on as a 'valid' test which we log on commercial builds before they leave...Then again, the XTU test result really doesn't say very much more than 'passed' or 'failed'...obviously, you want the 'green' passed biggrin.gif I ran some XTU tests last Friday before a weekend of record runs and there should be a log.

...a word of advice though...while I don't mind Asus AI Suite either if I'm in a hurry to test different scenarios, better don't run XTU and AI Suite at the same time...vCore can shoot up as those two can become additive on vCore...and I would know that because... mad.gif
Joa3d43 is offline  
post #13796 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
TonicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ambient Temp = Minnesota
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

I have to wonder about some of the sentiment being thrown around here.

Hardware has really come a long, long way, as well as software. I really wonder if software overclocking is as bad as it is made out to be anymore. Nowadays boards are basically sold on how good the included overclocking suite is, every single person at tomshardware buys their boards based on the software, and TH's reviews of motherboards ranks a board's ability to overclock not on it's VRM, but based on how far of a software overclock you can get (even if voltages are reported inaccurately 100% of the time on all motherboards no matter the brand and quality, and you can often use some motherboard oc programs on other boards).

I think it's a valid question to ask these days, if software overclocking really is that bad. I mean people still say you should disable all powersaving options or that you should never go above 1.575 ram voltage on sandy bridge and ivy bridge, liquid pro being better than ultra, there's TONS of myths that are perpetuated because what used to be true or based off some mythical intel spreadsheet that never existed. Remember the 'max voltage for ivy is 1.52v", haha.

However software doesnt have offset voltage, and not nearly as much control like I still can't change LLC in software or pwm switch rate, and I dont want to have to set my overclock every single time i log back into windows... maybe software does suck if it doesnt even have those basics covered but I don't think it's right to just say all software sucks without question still. Motherboard manufacturers spend a ton of money and time into their overclocking software. It could definitely just be markinet bullcrap but I'm sure that is less and less true as time goes on.
I think you showed people like me that XTU might be better but nothing concrete. I haven't heard any reports, like someone saying "well i passed 24 hours of prime95 but failed in 5 hours of xtu' or any sort of comparison of the two, like 'well i know for sure i fail prime95 at .05v less than my current voltage but xtu passes just fine'.
I told you what to do to see how good your chip is already. Boot at 1.3v, see how far you can overclock in windows with a software program. 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, until it freezes on you (just not freezing for 10 seconds so you can select the next overclock is all you need to do). If you can do 5ghz without freezing within 10 seconds then you got a good chip worth delidding.

In an effort to get the most out of my equipment I watched a presentation/review of the asus z77 series mobos CATAGORY: OVERCLOCKING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7jwCe0QXT0

You are right. "Hardware has really come a long, long way, as well as software. I really wonder if software overclocking is as bad as it is made out to be anymore."

This is JJ Guerrero from Asus directly and could be considered Overclocking 101 for the newest MOBOs
it is Asus but alot of the info is general overclocking practices and terminology.

Notable that 25% of OCers or now using Software to overclock compared to 1-4% few years back. these boards have a chip built -in to digitally control damn near everthing in your OS gui

They do go over (1) BIO (2) XTU (3) AI Suite(realtime Controls) OVERCLOCKING in this video. I would make this maditory viewing for anyone has had enough random dial twisting. (What does this one do? CRASH BSOD. However, it may be a bit on the conservative side.

I learned stuff here maybe you could to.
devil.gifIF IT AINT BROKE THEN YOU DIDN'T OVERCLOCK IT ENOUGHTdevil.gif
just kidding
aaevil.gifIF IT AINT BROKE THEN DON'T FIX IT!aaevil.gif

EDIT: JJ Guerrero from Asus same presentation for New Egg - this one is better IMHO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkGQhE1o2w

"Asus rep states Vcore Max 1.325 -1.350 = poppycock x bugdugery x balderdash" TonicX
TonicX is offline  
post #13797 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Overclocker in Training
 
kesawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

XTU works on 'delta' - that is the change on voltage set in your bios...in XTU, go to 'manual tuning' and then you see two sliding bars up top...one for BCLK and one for adding or subtracting additional Turbo vCore...further below you will see the multiplier settings
I'll need to have another look at it when I get home from work as I'm not seeing nearly half the settings that appear on a lot of the screenshots I've found for the program through google. I have the manual tuning option, but I don't have any of the sub-meneu levels for processor, memory or voltages.
kesawi is offline  
post #13798 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
ivanlabrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Land of the obscenely expensive hardware
Posts: 8,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I'm gonna give that xtu thing a try once I get my 3770k...gotta wait a week. tongue.gif
ivanlabrie is offline  
post #13799 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
lilchronic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 6,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Valgaur,
Thank for the thread, sorry for the trouble, but when you get a chance could you remove me from the club and delete my info from the first post?
Thanks.
no! redface.gif

lilchronic is online now  
post #13800 of 34182 Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
 
justanoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I really don't want to post anymore on this because I know no one want to read it. However, just to be clear, I will address the issue. Joa3d43 posts have become more and more condescending, reread his posts by hearing the meaning not just reading the words.

He is reasonably eloquent in choosing his words, but since I have had jobs where corporate communications get scrutinized carefully, you do not read the words, you read between the lines.

Obviously I made a mistake in my choice of words in the one post, didn't mean to, just a mistake. The following rant by Joa3d43 was very personal and very specific in its condescension and attack on me. Disagreements and even very heated debate is fine, I used to have a job where we screamed at each other most of the day wearing silly colored coats - I am no stranger to that.

Direct, carefully crafted, and very personal attacks on another club member, however are unacceptable. Since his post was not commented on by anyone, my assumption was that it was considered acceptable here. No big deal, just don't want to be part of that. Thanks and good luck in the future.
justanoldman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off