Forum Jump: 

post #30891 of 34182 Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Anecdotal of course, because I have not done any scientific "testing", but it was easier for me to get good contact with less LM when applied to both sides. I have reapplied several times over several years like this. Its almost like there is some amount of surface tension to LM, and brushing it helps overcome that tension and adhere to the surface, so it just made sense to do both sides. This had been my experience when doing die-ihs, die-copper block, and die-plated block.

Yea that could totally be true as LM just doesnt like to spread at all pretty much just sits there. 2 very thin coats on each side could mate better and get better temps. Mine is still "etched" from the first round so i could give it a try spreading it on both sides very thinly.

I need to clear coat the transistors again and wait for it to dry though, thats the only downside to deliding and using CLU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30892 of 34182 Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM

Liked: 20
So, I am thinking about going bare die. Is it alright for long term use? Anything I should know before I pull the trigger? Temp drops of what, 5-8c?

3770K/970 SLI Firestrike best overall: 19300 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7254665
970 SLI Firestrike best graphics: 27582 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7604699
750ti@1533mhz best graphics: 5787 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7890032
post #30893 of 34182 Old 08-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRtank View Post

So, I am thinking about going bare die. Is it alright for long term use? Anything I should know before I pull the trigger? Temp drops of what, 5-8c?

Honestly really depends on the chip and waterblock and voltage. The higher the voltage the bigger drop you'll see. Some people said they saw NO difference and others saw a good increase. I dropped 7°C or so going from CLU/IHS to bare die and since all i had to get was new bolts it was a pretty cheap upgrade so i did it anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30894 of 34182 Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Honestly really depends on the chip and waterblock and voltage. The higher the voltage the bigger drop you'll see. Some people said they saw NO difference and others saw a good increase. I dropped 7°C or so going from CLU/IHS to bare die and since all i had to get was new bolts it was a pretty cheap upgrade so i did it anyways.

Word. How long have you had it on? Yeah I mean the bolts are 5$, so I'm thinking why not. Running at 1.4v so I may see a drop... Prime 95 with ambient of 26c I get up to 72c, which isn't bad. But I'm always down to improve it!

post #30895 of 34182 Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM
No-Post

Liked: 469
Quote:

3 years naked here, I have learned a few things.

The naked advantage is non linear. At 1.2V I cant tell any real gains vs replacing the lid. At 1.5V it is 5C better. Dont use a copper block. It doesn't degrade or anything, but it stains the copper DEEP and the LM dries out faster than when mated to a plated block. WATCH THE DAMNED PINS! I destroyed a socket by not having the chip lined up properly and destroyed several pins. It iss much easier to destroy pins without a lid, because every time you go to reapply paste, the chip has to come all the way out, unlike a lidded chip that has the hold down.

I would say if you have an upper tier chip, and are not afraid of voltage, then naked is a great way to squeeze it for all its worth...but if you just have an average chip, and you are going to stay in the safe voltage range for the chip...then no, its not worth the hassle or the risk. Also, some of the newest Intel chips have a thinner PCB, making the potential for complications greater. If your chip is one of these with the thin PCB, ask some of the guys doing more recent dellids about proper mount. EKs naked kit is cheap and easy to install.

All this is my experience, and I have in no fashion done extensive testing, its all anecdotal evidence from running my 3570k naked under a couple different EK blocks. It has been running 5.0 at 1.35 for its whole life, save for the few ventures into the 1.5V bench sessions.

I love running naked...here is an Intel Burn Test run at 1.528, never even broke 70C with a 23C ambient, and its STABLE!

GTRtank likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoray go_quote.gif

It puts the shoe in its mouth or else it gets deleted again.
#solefood
post #30896 of 34182 Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:

The naked advantage is non linear. At 1.2V I cant tell any real gains vs replacing the lid. At 1.5V it is 5C better. Dont use a copper block. It doesn't degrade or anything, but it stains the copper DEEP and the LM dries out faster than when mated to a plated block. WATCH THE DAMNED PINS! I destroyed a socket by not having the chip lined up properly and destroyed several pins. It iss much easier to destroy pins without a lid, because every time you go to reapply paste, the chip has to come all the way out, unlike a lidded chip that has the hold down.

I would say if you have an upper tier chip, and are not afraid of voltage, then naked is a great way to squeeze it for all its worth...but if you just have an average chip, and you are going to stay in the safe voltage range for the chip...then no, its not worth the hassle or the risk. Also, some of the newest Intel chips have a thinner PCB, making the potential for complications greater. If your chip is one of these with the thin PCB, ask some of the guys doing more recent dellids about proper mount. EKs naked kit is cheap and easy to install.

All this is my experience, and I have in no fashion done extensive testing, its all anecdotal evidence from running my 3570k naked under a couple different EK blocks. It has been running 5.0 at 1.35 for its whole life, save for the few ventures into the 1.5V bench sessions.

I love running naked...here is an Intel Burn Test run at 1.528, never even broke 70C with a 23C ambient, and its STABLE!

Nice! Yeah, I have a pretty good chip, 5.0 at 1.394, been running it at that 24/7 since January and can bench at 5.1 at 1.424v, havent taken it higher, but I know it will keep going. Yeah I wont be removing the block much so I think if I get good results I will probably just leave it. And yeah, those temps are ridiculous for 1.5 lol damn. I will have to think about it, see how it goes, if I want to pull the trigger or not.. haha. Thanks for the info.

post #30897 of 34182 Old 08-10-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:

This is why its not linear. Everyone will always give you another reason/excuse or have their opinion. Me personally i noticed 7°C going from clu/ihs to bare die. And temps dropped faster, im also running copper and have noticed no issue, if the clu seeps into the copper pores, thats a GOOD thing. Filling it in is exactly the whole point of tim/lm. Ive also removed mine probably a dozen times and have not bent a single pin, cpu only goes in one way and pretty much fits how its supposed to fit. Its totally possible to bent pins but i havent done it.

I plan on doing it with my new chip as well so def not have had any issues.
post #30898 of 34182 Old 08-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 93
Quote:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sorry to say this, but IBT standard is so easy to pass, I would say that you're not stable. Right click on the run button enable EXTREME mode and then set it to very high. That temp and stability will change.
post #30899 of 34182 Old 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 93
Quote:

8c at idle for me with an increase of 0.35v from 1.24v and underload there is no contest, with my IHS I would thermal throttle at 1.3v, I need more than 1.6v for it to thermal throttle.

I'll probably go naked on my skylake build and go for the golden 5ghz 24/7 regardless of voltage.
post #30900 of 34182 Old 08-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

8c at idle for me with an increase of 0.35v from 1.24v and underload there is no contest, with my IHS I would thermal throttle at 1.3v, I need more than 1.6v for it to thermal throttle.

I'll probably go naked on my skylake build and go for the golden 5ghz 24/7 regardless of voltage.

Sweet thanks. Like I said my temps are fine, 72c P95 @ 5.0, but I love getting lower temps, its addicting! thumb.gif I will probably go ahead and order the kit, see what kind of drops I get. I'll keep you guys posted!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page