post #71 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sWaY20 View Post

Is there anything I can do to make mine stable at 5ghz other than keep raising the voltage? I can boot into anything past 1.320, soon as I start testing I get whea errors, but I can surf the web and minimal other stuff no prob, what's weird is when I set to 1.4v as soon as I boot I instantly get whea error. It can't be far off from being stable though. I can do the basics in oc'ing but nothing really technical.

From what I've seen temps haven't been a real concern yet so I'm curious if I can run 5ghz stable for for those times I need that much.

tappin from the Note II

Well, what are your temps, exactly?

I'm going to attempt delidding, since I just booted 5ghz without PLL voltage using 1.36v. Ran SuperPI 1M, didn't look at temps since I was just doing this to see if 5.0ghz was bootable as suggested in the delid thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post

Quote:

Is there anything I can do to make mine stable at 5ghz other than keep raising the voltage? I can boot into anything past 1.320, soon as I start testing I get whea errors, but I can surf the web and minimal other stuff no prob, what's weird is when I set to 1.4v as soon as I boot I instantly get whea error. It can't be far off from being stable though. I can do the basics in oc'ing but nothing really technical.

From what I've seen temps haven't been a real concern yet so I'm curious if I can run 5ghz stable for for those times I need that much.

tappin from the Note II

Well, what are your temps, exactly?

I'm going to attempt delidding, since I just booted 5ghz without PLL voltage using 1.36v. Ran SuperPI 1M, didn't look at temps since I was just doing this to see if 5.0ghz was bootable as suggested in the delid thread.

Honestly Idk what the temps are at full load, idle was around 37c @5ghz. At my stable oc for dd 4.5ghz@1.135v & 58c on load. Every time I tried to load up the cores on 5ghz I get the whea error within a few sec of them being at 100%. It boots fine from 1.320 all the way to 1.395 after 1.4 however it boots then I immediately get those errors. I haven't tried anything else but raising voltages, I'm not sure what to tweak to make it more stable.

At this time temps are not a problem, from what I've seen I have a very cool running chip.

tappin from the Note II

post #73 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:

Honestly Idk what the temps are at full load, idle was around 37c @5ghz. At my stable oc for dd 4.5ghz@1.135v & 58c on load. Every time I tried to load up the cores on 5ghz I get the whea error within a few sec of them being at 100%. It boots fine from 1.320 all the way to 1.395 after 1.4 however it boots then I immediately get those errors. I haven't tried anything else but raising voltages, I'm not sure what to tweak to make it more stable.

At this time temps are not a problem, from what I've seen I have a very cool running chip.

tappin from the Note II

I'd say 4.5 @ 1.135v is really good. However, there's going to be a big increase in temps going from 1.135v to 1.4v so I'd say you really need to check your temps. Granted, that would be under load when it would actually become appreciable, but I'd definitely be monitoring temps, that will be a big factor in determining what is actually stable for you.
Ultimately it is the voltage increases that will aid stability, that and the cooling that is necessary to maintain those voltages. I will say that I had encountered an issue where I could boot and run prime at one voltage, and then after bumping it in hopes to increase stability due to a prime failure, it crashed booting into windows. I have no idea what caused that for me, but it sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplag View Post

Quote:

tappin from the Note II

I'd say 4.5 @ 1.135v is really good. However, there's going to be a big increase in temps going from 1.135v to 1.4v so I'd say you really need to check your temps. Granted, that would be under load when it would actually become appreciable, but I'd definitely be monitoring temps, that will be a big factor in determining what is actually stable for you.
Ultimately it is the voltage increases that will aid stability, that and the cooling that is necessary to maintain those voltages. I will say that I had encountered an issue where I could boot and run prime at one voltage, and then after bumping it in hopes to increase stability due to a prime failure, it crashed booting into windows. I have no idea what caused that for me, but it sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

So basically just keep playing with the voltage to get it stable?

tappin from the Note II

post #75 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 1
You're at a point where temps will certainly come into play, so those need to be monitored either with RealTemp, CPUID Hardware Monitor, or the like.
Are you saying you get the whea errors when cpu is under load all the way up to the 1.395v? And then without any load other than booting into windows, you get an instant whea error at 1.4v? What are you using to load the cpu? Prime95, IBT, or ?
What do you have for cooling, and what are you using for voltage, fixed or offset?
Depending on what your bios/uefi options are, there are settings that could perhaps aid you in gaining stability. There's the Internal PLL Overvoltage setting, CPU PLL voltage adjustment options, etc. However, those are things I've never had to mess with as I have a crap overclocker of a chip. I'd have to direct you towards other members wisdom on these matters who have first hand experience. Definitely check/search threads for those running in the 5ghz realm, you may get some ideas. People will want to know your specs though, like board, cooling setup, whether using offset or fixed voltage, what your temps are, etc.
sWaY20 likes this.

post #76 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplag View Post

You're at a point where temps will certainly come into play, so those need to be monitored either with RealTemp, CPUID Hardware Monitor, or the like.
Are you saying you get the whea errors when cpu is under load all the way up to the 1.395v? And then without any load other than booting into windows, you get an instant whea error at 1.4v? What are you using to load the cpu? Prime95, IBT, or ?
What do you have for cooling, and what are you using for voltage, fixed or offset?
Depending on what your bios/uefi options are, there are settings that could perhaps aid you in gaining stability. There's the Internal PLL Overvoltage setting, CPU PLL voltage adjustment options, etc. However, those are things I've never had to mess with as I have a crap overclocker of a chip. I'd have to direct you towards other members wisdom on these matters who have first hand experience. Definitely check/search threads for those running in the 5ghz realm, you may get some ideas. People will want to know your specs though, like board, cooling setup, whether using offset or fixed voltage, what your temps are, etc.

I'm def monitoring temps through real temp/corsair link, I just meant as of now temps aren't out of control. My eyes are glued when I try and run tests at 5ghz. I have my h100i fans set on maximum constantly and everything seems fine until all cores hit 100%. For a quick stable test I run occt 30min, but after a few sec loaded up it throws the whea, 1.4 and up will get the error instantly no load straight after boot. Oh and this is fixed voltage, ill get this stable before trying offset.

tappin from the Note II

post #77 of 80 Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 23
If your running into stability with raised voltae. Check vtt/vccsa voltae a max of 1.2 is what I run to achieve stability with 2400mhz ram.

post #78 of 80 Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clexzor View Post

If your running into stability with raised voltae. Check vtt/vccsa voltae a max of 1.2 is what I run to achieve stability with 2400mhz ram.
ok cool I'll try that when I get off today.

tappin from the Note II

post #79 of 80 Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 166
^ Dont think that'll really help you (you can try). raising vtt/imc voltage only really needs to be done at around 2600mhz+ or if you have a ton of ram. Hopefully you already ran a 24 hour+ prime95 test to make sure your ram overclock was stable - if you didn't, then you should be running your ram underclocked while you figure out your CPU overclock. If your ram has been stable at what they've been at on another overclock, ie 24 hours prime95, then they and vtt/imc should not be a limiting factor.

It's very, very rare that a chip can do 5ghz on less than 1.55v, like less than 5-10%. But you could put that water cooler to use and push 1.6v+... it'd be a bit insane but if you got the cooling and really want to, why not. Most people need about 1.45-1.55v for 5ghz though.
post #80 of 80 Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

^ Dont think that'll really help you (you can try). raising vtt/imc voltage only really needs to be done at around 2600mhz+ or if you have a ton of ram. Hopefully you already ran a 24 hour+ prime95 test to make sure your ram overclock was stable - if you didn't, then you should be running your ram underclocked while you figure out your CPU overclock. If your ram has been stable at what they've been at on another overclock, ie 24 hours prime95, then they and vtt/imc should not be a limiting factor.

It's very, very rare that a chip can do 5ghz on less than 1.55v, like less than 5-10%. But you could put that water cooler to use and push 1.6v+... it'd be a bit insane but if you got the cooling and really want to, why not. Most people need about 1.45-1.55v for 5ghz though.

I played around with some settings and managed a few min with prime instead of ottc and at 1.345v. I was getting 87c which is really high but I'm not gonna run it as a daily anyway so not a problem I just want it to be at least a lil stable. I gave up after it through more errors, I was tired of seeing that Damn blue screen. I'll mess with it more later, I'm thinking I just need the right combination of setting. I run my memory oc to 2133mhz but run at stick memory setting when going to 5ghz, so that can't be the problem.

I'll keep this updated in my quest.

tappin from the Note II

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page