Recommended board for i7-3930k - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0

hello,

I made mistake assuming that if Intel makes great processors their boards would be just as great. Newegg recommended an i7 3930k and DX79SR combo, so i went with that. System i was building is for work - After effects, Cinema 4D, Premiere Pro.

After pretty much a month of battling BSODs, driver updates, driver roll-backs, BIOS updates, BIOS roll-backs, swapping RAM, swapping coolers, replacing it with Newegg (i thought the first board was defective, so i replaced it),  i'm giving up on Intel MoBos and returning it back where it came from.

Few issues i found with DX79SR:
-Does not work well with Nvidia Quadro 4000 - i had this card on previous system with no problems but on this board driver crashes and updates/reinstalls don’t help.
-Does not work well with SSDs - according to multiple forums, including this one. Not sure what the issue was there, mine worked until it didn't.
-Doesn’t support RAID well, even RAID 1.  For this specific chipset, one would need to do a slip stream to add the drivers.
-It’s either on-board audio or add-on audio card - you cannot have both which means if you want good sound in your speakers forget about front panel headphones.
--end of pointless ranting--

That leaves me with a question - what board would work well with RAID 1 HDDs, 3039k processor and Nvidia Quadro 4000 and be stable at factory-clocked settings. Since this build is for work, stability is more important than surperfast performance.

other components:
CPU: i7-3039k
GPU: Nvidia Quadro 4000
RAM: 32Gb 4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 - not opposed to changing it to whatever would work better with other board
250Gb Samsung SSD for OS and applications
2x3Tb Seagate Raid-1 work drives
2x2Gb Seagate basic library drives
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme cooler
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
Cooler Master HAF X case
Windows 7 ultimate, 64bit

thank you,
-katya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 32
post #3 of 4 Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 AM

Liked: 8
Yes, I have the P9X79 WS. It's a great board. Stable and super fast. thumb.gif

I can highly recommend any of the ASUS X79 boards based on my experience and many of the reviews a features lists I've seen.

If you go with one of these boards, you'll probably want to download the latest drivers and BIOS for it. That was a little bit of a pain for me to set up, but not too bad though. The motherboard itself has only worked flawlessly for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page