Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Battlefield 1 Ready

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Well, the title says it all.

It's very rare for a CPU to die, specially when it's not overvolted to hell, this CPU has been treated nicely, but it looks like I had some really bad luck, eh?

Here's a post I made on the Rampage IV Extreme thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag View Post

I am in need of help.

I re did my loop after my CFX 7970 arrived, leak tested for over 12h, connected everything and it wont boot.

The board is stuck in a loop, pops out 14 (sometimes 13) on the led code right when it boots then it shows stuff like b7 then b9 then 5A then b9 or 70 and it shuts down, few seconds later it powers up and does the same, all over again and again...

I was able to boot once by switching to the other bios, then I entered my 4.7GHz OC values, saved reboot and same loop again, the motherboard simply wont post on either bios...

Things ive tried;

- Flashing bios using the i/o flash method with usb
- Clear cmos
- Take out battery and leave it unplugged for 6 hours.
- re seat cpu
- re seat ram (tried any slot)
- Disabled all pcie lines that were in use, all 4 disabled
- unplug any unneeded like led ppwer reset, hdd and speaker
- removed fan controller from molex connector

Something I noticed is right before it shuts down the dram led is ON, just right before, led shows and it shuts down.

The only thing that gets the board do something is by removing all ram, then it beeps all the time with "b5" code which I guess is because of no ram dimms inserted.

Any ideas? Ive been trying for over 12h and im about to give up...

I hope board and cpu are ok, im sure its not the gpus as they worked fine and even with their pcie lines disabled it does the same boot loop.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Quote:

I just tried no extension cables, even unplugged both GPU's cables and left them unplugged from PSU, still nothing.

This is pretty much the combination of led's I see: b0 b1 13 b0 b1 b7 b9 5A (Or SA?) 32 4F b2 b8 b9

And then it shuts down, sometimes instead of ending at b9 it ends at 71, but does the same thing over and over...

This is with only 1 ram dimm (Tried both separately, nope), GPU's unplugged from the PSU cables...

I'm running out of ideas. frown.gif
Quote:

grunion suggested the CPU, told me to unplug 8-pin from CPU power on board.

I did, it booted and shut off almost immediately, it booted again, now it's running no shut downs, but the LED/CODE display doesn't display anything, it's off.

Does this mean the CPU is gone for good? frown.gif

And here's a video I posted on that thread:
Quote:

Here's a video I recorded of the boot loop:

CPU dead?

If it's dead I'd be surprised, I never took it out of the motherboard when re-doing my water loop, no water leaked or spilled into any of the components. doh.gif

What you guys think?

So yeah, I believe the CPU is gone for good, and the worst part is I do not have the cash to get a replacement, I'm hoping Intel honors an RMA replacement even though I have no purchase receipt.

I knew this wasn't a good week when all of my orders got delayed a couple of days, and now the CPU is dead, I think this was meant to happen. doh.gif

Do you guys know if Intel (Europe) does RMA's without purchase receipt? That's my only option, I won't be able to afford another LGA 2011 cpu for a good while.... sad-smiley-002.gif

The "NoMoreUpgradesUntilXmasPC" Build Log

GPU's: HD5850 > HD5970 > 2x HD6970 > 2x GTX580 > 3x GTX580 >
> 2x GTX680 > 2x HD7970 > R9 290X > 2x R9 290 > GTX970 > 2x R9 290X >
> GTX980Ti > 2x GTX980Ti > 2x GTX1080 > 2x GTX 1080 Ti

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3129
Have you tried the CPU in another board?

Motherboard failures are much more common than CPU failures (and can present the same way), and I would not rule the CPU (or the board) dead without testing them in/with different components.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Battlefield 1 Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Have you tried the CPU in another board?

Motherboard failures are much more common than CPU failures (and can present the same way), and I would not rule the CPU (or the board) dead without testing them in/with different components.

No, as I do not have another board or CPU to try.

I bought this 3930k used, so I sent a PM to the original owner to see if he can try it himself as I know he has an X79 board, so then I can confirm if the CPU works or not, but I am confident it's dead.

In case it's dead, I hope Intel honors warranty even without purchase receipt, it's a 500€ CPU. frown.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I forgot...

Liked: 436
Intel will RMA it no problem. As long as you have the numbers on the lid of the CPU you're good to go. Use the chat service on the Intel site, thats the fastest way I've been able to get an RMA done with them, it took like 10 minutes to get a # issued to me when my Xeon E3-1220 died.

Not sure where you will ship it to over where you are, I'd assume they have a branch somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrulz go_quote.gif

Quick question though, how is having steel armor in skyrim like having an ipad in world war 2? If the U.S stormed normandy with ipads i'm pretty sure we would all be speaking german about now.
post #5 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:10 AM
**FORZA JUVENTUS**

Liked: 478
If you didn't bend any pins in socket then probably your CPU is just fine and your motherboard bit the dust.

It's very unlikely that CPU dies w/o any extreme overvolting or PSU/motherboard failure.

Usually if it happens that CPU dies it's due either PSU failure and it takes out pretty much every component down with it, or due motherboard failure (usually by blown VRM components).

I had once a motherboard failure (blown VRM) but still my Q9550 was just fine.

CHEERS..
post #6 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Battlefield 1 Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Intel will RMA it no problem. As long as you have the numbers on the lid of the CPU you're good to go. Use the chat service on the Intel site, thats the fastest way I've been able to get an RMA done with them, it took like 10 minutes to get a # issued to me when my Xeon E3-1220 died.

Not sure where you will ship it to over where you are, I'd assume they have a branch somewhere.

Good to know, I tried live chat but I guess it's a no go on a weekend which is understandable, I will give it a try on Monday morning. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingT View Post

If you didn't bend any pins in socket then probably your CPU is just fine and your motherboard bit the dust.

It's very unlikely that CPU dies w/o any extreme overvolting or PSU/motherboard failure.

Usually if it happens that CPU dies it's due either PSU failure and it takes out pretty much every component down with it, or due motherboard failure (usually by blown VRM components).

I had once a motherboard failure (blown VRM) but still my Q9550 was just fine.

CHEERS..

Yeah, I know a CPU dying (Unless you overvolt it like crazy) is very rare, that's why with 12 hours of troubleshooting, I never bothered blaming the CPU, but the sympthoms look like the CPU is to blame here.

We'll see, if the original owner doesn't mind, I'll send it back to him and see if he can test it on his board and if it works then I guess it'll be the board, but I'm confident it's the CPU, removing the 8pin cable from CPU power helps keep the computer powered up all the time (Obviously no post since CPU is not powered), so I think the board is fine.

post #7 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
**FORZA JUVENTUS**

Quote:

I'm confident it's the CPU, removing the 8pin cable from CPU power helps keep the computer powered up all the time (Obviously no post since CPU is not powered), so I think the board is fine.

Well that's how my dead P5Q Pro acted when it died, without 8Pin cable it would power up and spin the fans (no POST) but with 8pin connected it would start just for a split of a second (because PSU detects short in system and prevent's it to power up).

It's because 8Pin powers up CPU VRM , the short was in VRM circuitry and that's why system didn't want to power up with 8pin connector plugged in. (my board had one VRM blown and also phase driver chip).

My guess that your motherboard is also dead, probably some sort of short in CPU VRM circutry or even blown VRM hidden under the passive cooling.

That's more likely than CPU failure, even if your CPU was dead, the system should start (spin the fans) , just like without any CPU installed.

CHEERS..
post #8 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Battlefield 1 Ready

Quote:

Well that's how my dead P5Q Pro acted when it died, without 8Pin cable it would power up and spin the fans (no POST) but with 8pin connected it would start just for a split of a second (because PSU detects short in system and prevent's it to power up).

It's because 8Pin powers up CPU VRM , the short was in VRM circuitry and that's why system didn't want to power up with 8pin connector plugged in. (my board had one VRM blown and also phase driver chip).

My guess that your motherboard is also dead, probably some sort of short in CPU VRM circutry or even blown VRM hidden under the passive cooling.

That's more likely than CPU failure, even if your CPU was dead, the system should start (spin the fans) , just like without any CPU installed.

CHEERS..

No, the board does not boot at all without a CPU installed, I tried. And I believe that's how it's supposed to be.

Also, if it was a short, wouldn't it just shut down almost instantly? It takes a while to shut down if you see the video, so I'd discard a short.

post #9 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 AM
**FORZA JUVENTUS**

Quote:

No, the board does not boot at all without a CPU installed, I tried. And I believe that's how it's supposed to be.

Well motherboard should start to spin the fans even without CPU, RAM and GPU installed (but you won't get any signal on monitor or POST).

I have tried it with many different motherboards, from AMD to Intel and every one of them spin the fans even without any installed component.

If it doesn't then probably it's busted, but you should test it with different CPU or test your CPU in another system.

CHEERS..
post #10 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Battlefield 1 Ready

Quote:

Well motherboard should start to spin the fans even without CPU, RAM and GPU installed.

I have tried it with many different motherboards, from AMD to Intel and every one of them spin the fans even without any installed component.

If it doesn't then probably it's busted, but you should test it with different CPU or test your CPU in another system.

CHEERS..

Agreed, that's why I'm going to try and send the CPU to the original owner so he can test it himself, if it works then I guess it's the board. I want to be 100% sure before starting any RMA process.

But honestly, after reading so many good things about Intel RMA being quite fast, I'd prefer if it was the CPU, even though it was kinda golden lol. tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page