Have you noticed Intel has shrinked the die? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Most of us had concluded that it's inherently harder to shrink the transistor nowadays. However, while that is undeniably true, concerning Intel CPUs it appears to be only part of the story. They have appeared to have shrinked the die size in latest releases hence giving them time to increase the die size in the future and therefore increase performance without necessarily advancing technology node.

That appears to point to me to the expected: That while they can still shrink the transistor, they have projected of possibly hitting a wall around 10 or 7nm, rendering them virtually incapable of increasing performance without multiplying cores or utilizing algorithmic advances. That can not only happen with simply running out of atoms' space but also with quantum mechanical effects that have already started creeping in and possibly render any shrinking on conventional silicon technology pointless after a point.

They can only escape that predicament with a new technological base. But Intel are smart boys, they have realized that this is at least partially wishful thinking and it's possible that around the 7nm node or around 2017 onwards to hit a wall with their main contingency saving a few years with increasing the die size or multicoring everything which everyone knows has its limits on interactive applications. I would not be surprised at all if investors at Intel start jumping ship from 2015 onwards if they start sniffing that, since that position would mean a dying company that can be replaced by any third rate chip manufacturer that just sells chips by the dozen on technology that is years old already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Captain of the #1 TC Folding Team on OCN

Liked: 150
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpSkyline
Interesting story there, lets see what happens. thinking.gif

Oo\_______/oO #RIPPaulWalker Oo\_______/oO
"It's like a job, when a mistake is noticed the good things that you have done in the past and present don't matter." - Hertz
95.567% of people make up the stats in their sig. If you are part of the 4.433% who uses real stats, put this in your sig.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 193
I don't think Intel is going to just let this blindside them. If they believe what you are saying then it would be likely that they have already shifted gears years ago to make an attempt at creating a situation that keeps them profitable in the future.

They don't necessarily have to keep advancing chip technology to remain a technology leader and they have other markets that they can expand into.

I don't think they will suddenly loose out to fabs just because common processors hit a brick wall.

But only time can tell. Anything that we can think of as a possible bad situation for Intel has already been thought of many years ago by Intel themselves.

Reverse Chronological Order (Bold is currently in use)Overclocked Intel CPU History (Click to show)
i7-5820k 4.6GHz i5-4670k 4.8GHz, Xeon W5580 4GHz, Xeon X5690 6 core 4.2GHz, i5-3570k 4.7GHz, i5-2500k 4.8GHz, i5-2500k 4.4GHz, i5-2500k 4.6GHz, i7-960T 4.2GHz (first overclocked Intel CPU traded for my 960T)
Overclocked AMD CPU History (Click to show)
PHII x4 960T @x6 3.9Ghz 4.1GHz Turbo, PHII x2 555 @x4 4.0GHz
GPU History (Click to show)
GTX 970, Crossfire R9 290x, SLI GTX 580, GTX 690, GTX 670, GTX 680, HD7950, HD6950, HD5850, SLI 7800GTX, All-in-wonder, 3DFX Fusion 16mb AGP, SLI 3DFX Voodoo2 12mb PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 301
Yeyyyy, someone replied to a thread of weeks ago.

givmedew, I know, and I believe that, they've recently only broke some silence and said they expect 'new things' (vaguely) a bit after 7nm (even if they claim they may go 5nm or beyond that on conventional silicon this is wishful thinking at this point (especially since there is so much low you can go before you simply run out of physical space to even create the transistor contraption, before even talking about quantum effects that are already significant, let alone 3 nodes later)).

Samsung and others are more vocal about graphene since they have already filed tons of patents on graphene transistors (easily found on google.patents) though Intel is much more secretive so they either do nothing (unlikely) or they do the same secretively (very likely) or they do other stuff too (likely), oh and they also do a lot of optical tech publicly though I suspect that's mainly for data centers and some minor desktop uses.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page