Hi,

This is my first overclock attempt so I need a few tips! Here is my rig:

-Asus P5N32-E-SLI
-E6600
-Enermax Liberty 620 W
-4x 1GB Crucial DDR2-533
-MSI NX 7900GTO 512Mb
-Intel standard HSF

What can I do with that? I know this is crappy memory sticks but I already had them before I bought the rest. I was wondering how important is the memory on overall performances... Would I see a big difference with ddr2-1000? Will my memory limit me in overclocking my system?

Anyway, I just want to know what I could do with what I have now and I will consider putting extra money on it later!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 239
You'll need an aftermarket cooling for your chipset thats for sure. The P5N32E-SLI generate an enormous amount of heat.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
what do you suggest? You mean to cool down the south bridge?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 14
The ram wont hurt you for awhile.. you can prolly overclock the 533 stuff a good bit, but there will come a point where the ram cant go any further. And the CPU will still have headroom left.

Would suggest 800Mhz ram at the least to really do serious OC on the chips. And as suggested before.. seriouslly good CPU cooler. The stocker just wont cut it. I run a Zalman9700 which I like, others will recommend other items, all really good products.. pretty much any high end air cooler will destroy the stock unit.

Robert Wink - [OCN] Wink on overclock.net Gungame CSS Server
IT Geek
My Machine, In Greater Detail (UPDATED 1/9/07)
10667 3DMark06
post #5 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
1.3ghz

The northbridge on the 680i boaards gets very very hot. Mine has a heatpipe attached and even a fan to attach to the heatsink and it is still warmer than I like. I have looked for coolers, and so far not much other than redesigned heat sinks.

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06
post #6 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
The ram wont hurt you for awhile.. you can prolly overclock the 533 stuff a good bit, but there will come a point where the ram cant go any further. And the CPU will still have headroom left.

Would suggest 800Mhz ram at the least to really do serious OC on the chips. And as suggested before.. seriouslly good CPU cooler. The stocker just wont cut it. I run a Zalman9700 which I like, others will recommend other items, all really good products.. pretty much any high end air cooler will destroy the stock unit.
So with just a new HS and Fan, I could reach 2.8 - 3.0 ghz? Is there any danger for my memory if i oc my cpu?

Also, can I just use the asus utility to do my overclock settings or is it better to do it in the bios directly?

post #7 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
1.3ghz

First, there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS a chance of doing damage to your system and parts if you exceed the suggested value of the manufacturer. Taking a 2.3G chip to 2.4 could smoke it.. it isnt likely, but it could. And if it does, you are out of luck, and have to buy a new one. Most folks will NOT warranty stuff smoked due to Overclocking. ANYONE who tells you that even a mild overclock is 100% safe is lying to you, or is an idiot.

with that out of the way.. the chip you have SHOULD OV to 3.0G and higher with no problems whatsover on the 533Ram you have. You can do it on the stock HSF, but will be running very hot, and I woudlnt suggest doing that for extended periods until you get better cooling solutions.

The Asus boards arent the best overclockers out there.. but if you want to learn as you go, then use the AI NOS functions, or even do the bios builtin 3/5/8% overclock defaults to get a feel for the values and what is changing. Then when you feel more comfortable , you can adjust them yourself.

Beware changing voltages, make sure you completely understand what you are doing before you play with voltages.. you CAN easily smoke a part by a .001 change in voltage.

common sense, paying very very close attention to heat and keeping it in acceptable to you ranges, and not making huge leaps with your OC are the keys to a good overclock, and a safe one. Jumping .3 or .4 Ghz at a time with jumps in Voltage on a whim will give you a fried system, no warranty and $1000 in the toilet
b3ar likes this.

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Wow thanks for the explanation. I will try to go step by step. I ordered a Thermaltake BigTyphoon 120vx and will install it first.

Meanwhile I will keep reading posts about overclocking and try to understand more of the concept. The part that is missing me is the interaction between the memory and FSB. If I set my cpu at 3 ghz for example, can my memory remain at 533 mhz?

Anyway, thanks a lot!

post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
1.3ghz

that is overclocking by unlinking the memory from the FSB. This is doable, but your CPU wont be able to overclock nearly as much i dont believe, I am not sure you can do 3.0 without upping the memory some.

I am currently running 533 Mhz (At least till I get home tonight).. and I have had it to 650 with no issues.

All i can tell you is experiment in increments. There is a faq here somewhere with a step by step guide on how to overclock the memory first until it is maxed, then backing it back down and doing the CPU and then hwo to combine them for a good, stable OC. You can do a search for Overclock FAQ , it is really a valuable document to read up on, and will explain Linked, unlinked and ratios between CPU and FSB and Memory

IT Geek
10667 3DMark06

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page