Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post

eh, asus has just fixed their issue with adaptive. does aid64 show the same voltage as HWI and cpuZ (it should)

edit: i think your settings posted have the voltage all in offset... ??

Yes AIDA shows the same - all the software is agreeing.

So Vcore drops at idle when I have the Voltage Mode on "Auto", but of course it goes up to 1.34V when stressed, which isn't very efficient considering I only need 1.29V. It looks to me like Adaptive just isn't working. I am wondering what the best way to get a hold of MSI is..so I can let them know.

In the mean time should I just not overclock and run the stock CPU settings until they have this fixed?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | ​MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS VIII Hero |
| Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W |
| Fractal Design Define S |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 12:29 PM
OC...D

Liked: 1227
post #3423 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post

try the settings I added o my post above.

So here you go...I tried that...didn't work...frown.gif

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | ​MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS VIII Hero |
| Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 12:41 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

Klutz0 - Intel CPUs have a feature called BD PROCHOT which stands for bi-directional processor hot. This is a signal path to the CPU so other items on your motherboard can send a signal to your CPU and force your CPU to thermal throttle down to 800 MHz even though your CPU is not hot at all. This can be triggered by the temperature of an external sensor or by power consumption going through the voltage regulator.

ThrottleStop is still a work in progress for Skylake CPUs but the latest version should allow you to access the BD PROCHOT feature. If you clear the BD PROCHOT box, this will prevent outside signals getting to your CPU and forcing it to throttle. Your CPU will still throttle if it gets too hot. Give that a try and see if your CPU is still hitting the wall.

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 4
https://www.sendspace.com/file/78dnne

Intel CPUs also have a feature called PROCHOT offset. This allows motherboard manufacturers to reduce the temperature when the CPU will start to thermal throttle. The maximum for this offset used to be 15°C but for some low power Intel Atom CPUs, this has been increased up to 63°C. When set to 15°C, instead of thermal throttling starting at 100°C, it would start at 85°C instead. I don't think this is the source of your problem but could you run CPU-Z, click on the About tab and then click on Save Report (.TXT) button. Copy and paste that data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here so I can have a look just to make sure the bios is not setting this register up incorrectly.

I think your CPU is OK and it is your motherboard voltage regulator or bios that is causing the problem.

Ok, so I ran ThrottleStop and just by unchecking "BD PROCHOT" and hitting save, the drops to 800MHz disappear. specool.gif

Here's a screenshot - guess when I disabled BD PROCHOT.

(It looks different from my previous ones because I set HWiNFO to poll every 250ms instead of 2000ms)

Now, this is good. But it's not ideal. I need to run ThrottleStop every time I boot...

Also, within a couple minutes of starting Prime95 Small FFTs, the PC just shuts down, no BSOD, nothing. I don't think it's a temp problem, since it only goes up to around 70°C. I read (here) that this can be because the CPU is pulling too much current, and the motherboard kills it. Especially for Gigabyte motherboards, there's supposed to be a VRIN Overcurrent protection setting that can be set to "Extreme" instead of "Auto".

I did not find anything referencing "VRIN" or "overcurrent" anywhere in the BIOS... Here's a list of what I have in the advanced section:
  • CPU Clock Ratio, CPU Frequency
  • Uncore Ratio
  • Uncore Frequency
  • CPU Flex Ratio Override
  • CPU Flex Ratio Settings
  • Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology (Note)
  • Turbo Ratio (Note)
  • Power Limit TDP (Watts) / Power Limit Time
  • Core Current Limit (Amps)
  • No. of CPU Cores Enabled (Note)
  • Hyper-Threading Technology (Note)
  • CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Note)
  • C3 State Support (Note 1)
  • C6/C7 State Support (Note 1)
  • C8 State Support (Note 1)
  • Package C State Limit (Note 1)
  • CPU Thermal Monitor (Note 1)
  • CPU EIST Function (Note 1)

I did find one setting I'm going to try:
Quote:
CPU Thermal Monitor
Enables or disables Intel® Thermal Monitor function, a CPU overheating protection function. When enabled,
the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced when the CPU is overheated. Auto lets the BIOS
automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)

Hopefully disabling this stops the drops to 800MHz without needing to run ThrottleStop.

Edit: Well, diabling CPU Thermal Monitor didn't change anything.

Also, what does turning ThrottleStop on and off do? I don't even need to turn it on, just opening it stop my throttling problem. I can even close it and the throttling doesn't come back...
post #3425 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 12:57 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post

So here you go...I tried that...didn't work...frown.gif

If set manual on vcore...thats will be happen on msi m7...
No matter what you set on bios or on windows...
Adaptive no works... sad but thats msi m7... maybe cause hybrid vrm....

And all mobo Different stress test software different voltage at max load... depend on limit that we set on bios.... if limit to low than cant pass the kind of stress test software... thats why need more on llc if llc cant at highest setting then manually add more vcore.

Msi m7 no llc and they hybrid vrm if cpu need 1.34v then vrm give what cpu need... not 1.29v
post #3426 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Overclockering is fun!

Liked: 537
Quote:
Especially for Gigabyte motherboards, there's supposed to be a VRIN Overcurrent protection setting that can be set to "Extreme" instead of "Auto".

I did not find anything referencing "VRIN" or "overcurrent" anywhere in the BIOS

That's because VRIN is a voltage that only exists on 4'th and 5'th gen, not the CPU or motherboard that you have thumb.gif

Maybe your motherboard VRM's are having trouble? Your throttle and shutdown when you disabled the throttle is very worrying.

I don't believe in "good enough"~!!

240hz / gsync / low persistence is AWESOME

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
post #3427 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 01:03 PM

If MSI can't make Adaptive work they effectively made a paper weight of a motherboard in terms of overclocking.rolleyes.gif

post #3428 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 01:10 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post

If MSI can't make Adaptive work they effectively made a paper weight of a motherboard in terms of overclocking.rolleyes.gif

Yup n my xmp 3200 only can works on beta bios version 1.82 ... but first mono block custom watercooling made by ek for msi m7... msi marketing works better than their engineer. ...
post #3429 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 6
So... I don't have throttling problems anymore - assuming I run ThrottleStop after rebooting.

I can now run x264 and CPU temperature stabilizes at ~60°C.

However, I just tried running Prime95 v28.7, build 1, in Blend mode and everything seemed stable for a few minutes:
  • Temperatures around 55°C
  • CPU Package Power around 70 W
  • IA Cores Power around 57 W

Then, everything jumped up and the PC shut down within a few seconds. I had HWiNFO loggin on, so I checked the data and this is what they jumped up to:
  • CPU temperatures jumped to 65°C
  • CPU Package Power around 85 W
  • IA Cores Power around 73 W

I also found in the logs that "RING: VR Thermal Alert" was initially at No, then started going up to Yes sometimes and eventually just stayed at Yes.

So I'm still not out of the woods it seems...

Anyone have ideas?
post #3430 of 11372 Old 10-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agung79 View Post

Yup n my xmp 3200 only can works on beta bios version 1.82 ... but first mono block custom watercooling made by ek for msi m7... msi marketing works better than their engineer. ...

Do you think they are aware that Adaptive doesn't work? Think there will be a fix for it later?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page