Bad/Dying i7 3770s... Bake it back to life - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-04-2016, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65

The CPU was normal until I decided to bump the BLCK speed up to 105 (was rock stable at 103). Computer crashed and when windows started up, I noticed the core temp. Yes, I'm sure the CPU is properly pasted. The core was normal until I decided to mess with the BLCK. I must've reinstalled the BIOS on the MOBO with several different ones 100+ times. Wasted 5 days and a untold amount of hours trying to correct it.

I had this happened to me one other time also. I got super frustrated with the situation.... then I got super drunk to help me deal with it. I know I installed a BIOS. I can't remember what else I did. I can't replicate the magic from that night sad-smiley-002.gif but I can replicate the mad.gif

P.S. If I get the CPU to work correctly I won't mess with the BLCK again...... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
for 24 hours! devil.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I know no one cares but I'm updating this thread anyway! devil.gif

Even after disabling the 4th core on the i7 the CPU started blue-screening 5 days after the orignal post. It was dying a slow and painful death. I remembered people baking GPUs to bring them back to life, so I decided to give it a try. I let bake for 10mins @400F. IT WORKED!!!!

I let it prime95 for 24hrs yesterday and it passed. I'm not sure if I have a 1 week or a 1 year. Time will tell and I will update this thread when it dies. I'm sure someone, somewhere will find "Baking a CPU" useful.

EDIT: CPU was delidded and lapped. RMA wasn't an option.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

My 4th core died/error-out last night mad.gif. I kinda expect it to last longer than that. Anyway, I re-baked it and it is fine (6 hour prime95 passed). I guess I bought myself another month.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page