BSOD and Instability in modest 4.5ghz OC 6700k Clock Watchdog Timeout - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 26 Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

Oh yes that Apevia is terrible. They list it as 700w, but can do only 530w peak, maybe even less.
It is amazing how many bought and reviewed it. Even some the answers people give on those questions are questionable.
Good deal to grab 750W, only $8 more than 650w.

Investing in a good PSU prolongs the life of your system.

Yeah... And there is actually a $20 rebate that will drop it down to 99.99 so I think that was a no brainier. I appreciate you pushing my further in that direction as I had already identified it as the next step in my build.

I'm definitely eager to get that thing put in there in the next couple of days. Hopefully that fixes my issue. I actually bought that PSU from a local shop when I initially built this rig back in 2013.... So I feel like I got more out of this particular one than most. However, the first one the sold me didn't work properly. I remember having to take my rig in so they could test it and they had to give me another PSU. Kind of goes hand in hand with the reviews, eh?

I'll post my results after I get it installed. Should have it at my house no later than Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

First to get a stable OC you need to get a good PSU. Right now, I would go all stock till you do.
EVGA 650W P2 is my best choice.

Also to fix some of the cooling issues with HAF932. You want to mod the optical bay to use a 140mm fan intake.
Also you may want to cut out the HDD cage too allow the front fan not being blocked.

So, got my new PSU in today and installed everything. Gorgeous by the way, great quality. Ramped it up to 4.5ghz @ 1.39v and can only make it 15-17 minutes into Real Bench. I'm using all 32 gigs of ram in the settings but I have my virtual memory set to like 4-6 gigs I think. The second time I tried at 1.4v and got an instability detected message from Real Bench at 17 minutes.

The first time I got a BSOD but I forgot what it was... It wasn't clock watchdog or anything with the clock.

Any ideas on what to do next? I really figured I could have this thing at. 4.5ghz at 1.4v.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 PM

Liked: 52
Try LLC level 4 or 5
Cache freq leave at stock (4.1?)
Manually enter ram voltage & timing instead of XMP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 06-15-2016, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I left all ram settings on auto.... Should I set them to 2600?? I think they default at 2133. What voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 26 Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 PM

Oh if they're on auto default 2133 instead of XMP, then leave ram settings on auto
I'd thought you could be on XMP, and if unstable then trying manual could be better (but default 2133 should be even better for stability)

post #16 of 26 Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

Oh if they're on auto default 2133 instead of XMP, then leave ram settings on auto
I'd thought you could be on XMP, and if unstable then trying manual could be better (but default 2133 should be even better for stability)
What is LLC?

post #17 of 26 Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralODLee View Post

What is LLC?

Hi, LLC is load line calibration, its purpose is to reduce vdroop. I can't explain it well but I'll try.
When your cpu is under load, you'll notice the vcore drops - that is vdroop & to have some vdroop is normal.
Under heavy loads, sometimes the vcore momentarily dips further - if it's too much then voltage may be too low & cause instability/BSOD.

post #18 of 26 Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. So I set the LLC at Level 4 and set my multiplier to 45 and my VCoRE to 1.36. I ran RealBench for an hour and everything passed. I previously couldn't even get more than 15 or so minutes through the test.

Eager to move forward, I tried changing my multiplier to 46 (4.62ghz) and I got an instant instability in RealBench. Tried upping the VCORE to 1.37v but got the same result.

I didn't want to go any higher because it is my understanding that LLC adds to the voltage even though it doesn't show. As far as how much it adds... I'm not sure. Anyone able to shed some light one this? I also read that switching to adaptive afterwards can increase voltage as well? Where should I go from here in my quest for a stable 4.6-4.7ghz OC?

I currently have RealBench set on a four hour burn, hopefully when I wake up it will prove successful. My temps on the one hour test maxed out at 71 degrees, so everything looks good there. I'm still concerned about individual core temps because core three is maxing out at over 10 degrees Celsius less than Core zero and core 1. Not sure what could cause this but I think it may be a bit excessive. Core two also runs cooler.

Thanks again for the responses!!! smile.gif@Sp33d Junki3
post #19 of 26 Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 AM

Hi, can you monitor Vcore using hwinfo64 and not hwmonitor. On most boards hwmonitor shows VID instead of Vcore.
With hwinfo64 be sure to locate Vcore further down the list, and not VID near the top.
Refer to OP for where to locate Vcore in hwinfo64, its found under section "Information Before Overclocking"

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

If at 1.37v LLC4 for 4.6Ghz you did not encounter much Vdroop yet was unstable, then you can try lowering other settings, maybe like Cache Freq. Good Luck!

post #20 of 26 Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

Hi, can you monitor Vcore using hwinfo64 and not hwmonitor. On most boards hwmonitor shows VID instead of Vcore.
With hwinfo64 be sure to locate Vcore further down the list, and not VID near the top.
Refer to OP for where to locate Vcore in hwinfo64, its found under section "Information Before Overclocking"

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

If at 1.37v LLC4 for 4.6Ghz you did not encounter much Vdroop yet was unstable, then you can try lowering other settings, maybe like Cache Freq. Good Luck!

So I've done a lot of reading since yesterday and I've come to question harsh stress testing for PCs that will be used for mostly gaming and no processing of video or images.

Also, the benefit of pushing for 4.6ghz seems silly since I have to reach high voltages to get there (1.42v.... .02 of that comes from vBoost and a level 6 LLC). That is what it required for me to almost erase the vDroop.

Unless there are other settings that I can learn about that will help me stabilize, I will just keep it at a modest and safe 4.5.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page